Gmenu2x V0.2 Released

i need some simple help :D
im using a mac but im having no luck making the links.
ive downloaded 2 programmers notepads, J edit and subethaedit but simply writing the link and saving it dosent work.
Do i need to 'compile' it? If so how do i go about that on a mac?

sorry for the very basic question!

ive also got a pc i could try it on if theres any easy programs for windows?

vossy posted on Aug 10 2006 at 09:07 PM said:
ive downloaded 2 programmers notepads, J edit and subethaedit but simply writing the link and saving it dosent work.
No compilation, just plain text files. I don't know the applications for mac. The only hint I can give you is to search for a "unix line endings" option.

I personally always create them in linux, but I had to create them from windows when I installed it on a friend's gp2x and I used EmEditor (http://www.emeditor.com) or you can use Programmer's Notepad (http://www.pnotepad.org) as others suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryo,

How about my question? How do you set the order that the section icons are displayed?

Thanks for everything.

DaveC posted on Aug 10 2006 at 11:15 PM said:
Ryo,

How about my question? How do you set the order that the section icons are displayed?

Thanks for everything.

At the moment they are in alphabetical order. The links are in the order they are read from the filesystem (in some manner related to the file creation date).
I'll think of something to rearrange the order...

sorry for the very basic question!

I use the ordinary notepad (textredigerare på svenska) on my mac and that does it perfect!

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 11 2006 at 12:11 AM said:
tried using images through the relative AND absolute paths...Still nothing.

Im really frusterated :(
Maybe it's line-endings for you too...
I'll look if I can let gmenu2x "eat" them in next release.

I think I figured out why my SNESGP2X link wasn't working. It had DOS line endings. This link isn't working still, however...

Code:
title=RACE!
description=NeoGeo Pocket Color emulator
icon=icons/neogeopocket.png
exec=/mnt/sd/emulators/race/race.gpe

Ryo posted on Aug 10 2006 at 06:15 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 11 2006 at 12:11 AM said:
tried using images through the relative AND absolute paths...Still nothing.

Im really frusterated :(
Maybe it's line-endings for you too...
I'll look if I can let gmenu2x "eat" them in next release.
hmm. Not sure what that means exactly (im not very linux saavy). Is there a way to test, or try another type of line ending?

Also, can anyone on here provide me with a nice icon i can use for the "emulator" section I made? i have trouble making these kind of decisions :D

@daclassicgamingmaster: Unix saves and reads text files with a character called "Line feed" (\n) to separate lines.
Windows/Dos instead uses 2 characters "Carriage Return" (\r) + "Line feed" and that sometimes causes problems.
The solution is to create the links with an editor capable of saving file with just "line feeds" at the of lines like unix does.

@Paradox: From the moment you posted that, another version has been released. Are you sure you are using version 0.2.1? that bug should have been fixed.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 11 2006 at 12:44 AM said:
Also at can anyone on here provide me with a nice icon i can use for the "emulator" section I made? i have trouble making these kind of decisions :D

I made a section for emulators too, and had a browse through the Nuvola icon set for something appropriate, as some of the icons Ryo supplies are taken from it.

I couldn't really find an icon that said 'emulators' to me, so I settled on this cat.

package_toys.png

Aww!

Here's what I used, also from that Nuvola Icon pack:

For the Handheld Emulators:

handheldsst5.png

For the Consoles/PC emus:

consolesvy7.png

For Homebrew:

homebrewrq2.png

Looks like that controller you provided will have to cut it for me, as nothing else seems as appropriate. Thanks Lou.

@Ryo: If I use programmer's notepad, can I solve the potential issue I'm having? If so, how do I do it and what do I select?

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:40 PM said:
Looks like that controller you provided will have to cut it for me, as nothing else seems as appropriate. Thanks Lou.

@Ryo: If I use programmer's notepad, can I solve the potential issue I'm having? If so, how do I do it and what do I select?

* Arrives with cape flourishing in the breeze *

It's easy to set up, just open/create/edit your file as you like, then go to Tools > line endings > Unix(LF)
Tada! :)

xinfernoofdantex posted on Aug 10 2006 at 09:04 PM said:
how do you change line endings in programmers notepad?

TelcoLou posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:53 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:40 PM said:

* Arrives with cape flourishing in the breeze *

It's easy to set up, just open/create/edit your file as you like, then go to Tools > line endings > Unix(LF)
Tada! :)

Back