Gpfrontier V0.2

JoJo_ReloadeD

Still Fresh
I've just finished a new version of my Frontier port. Those are the improvements:

v0.2:

- Changed button to avoid code protection to START, adding compatibility with F200's
- Rewritten sound engine to SDL_mixer
- Music support, disabled by default, you can activate it on the game menu by pressing SELECT
- Added PC original soundtrack, best of all IMHO ;)
- Several optimizations

EDIT:

The load/save option was broken in this new version, it has been fixed on 0.2.1:

V0.2.1:

- Fixed load/save problem. The virtual interrupt vector was broken with the changes done with music. Thanks to Chris Handley for the point ;)

You can download it at:
GpFrontier v0.2.1

Could you up it to some other places? Megaupload has severe limits on number of downloads from a single country at the same time.

Awesome, nice music just tried it then! Brings back such nice memories this port. It's fantastic, I'm having some good fun just playing with it.

Thanks!

Just wondering what your plans are with this? How far are you going to take it?

slaanesh said:
Awesome, nice music just tried it then! Brings back such nice memories this port. It's fantastic, I'm having some good fun just playing with it.

Thanks!

At least, I'll try to get some decent gameplay, do a menu to control volume, exiting game...

And I'd like some more speed :)

I dunno... maybe using the 940 for some code...

Time will tell ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great update... Music is great

But I copied my jameson save file to this new version. When I try to save or load a file using the appropriate icons the game freezes

Any ideas ?

TomVS said:
Great update... Music is great

But I copied my jameson save file to this new version. When I try to save or load a file using the appropriate icons the game freezes

Any ideas ?
It's already fixed:

CHANGELOG
------------------

V0.2.1:

- Fixed load/save problem. The virtual interrupt vector was broken with the changes done with music. Thanks to Chris Handley for the point ;)

GpFrontier v0.2.1

JoJo_ReloadeD said:
slaanesh said:

If you're gonna use the 940, might I request that you port the graphics over to use the 940 OpenGL style engine (I forget the name right now)? I'd love to see the PC version's textured graphics in this - it was much better graphically than the ST/Amiga version.

D.

Dunny said:
JoJo_ReloadeD said:
slaanesh said:

If you're gonna use the 940, might I request that you port the graphics over to use the 940 OpenGL style engine (I forget the name right now)? I'd love to see the PC version's textured graphics in this - it was much better graphically than the ST/Amiga version.

D.

That would be hard to do, because the code is atari st- 68k only.. there's no way to port the pc version...

Unless somebody rips the 80286 code and translates it to C :) It would be slow anyway...

About the opengl... who knows? ;)

slaanesh said:
The 0.21 archive contains an 8MB "frontier" file which wasn't there previously - is this required?
Uh.. no.. that's the debugging version.. you can delete it :p

Enjoying the new version. Thanks!

If you want to squeeze some more performance, check out GCC's automatic profiling feature if you haven't already:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=547719

It's a very easy way to almost always get at least another 10% performance out of C code, sometimes more.

Back