Gmenu2x V0.2 Released

PSyMastR posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:28 PM said:
bah, I was going to try this, but it replaces the original menu? no thank you :p
Only temporarily, numbnuts. It has almost all the same features, and is much easier to use, less time consuming, and more stylish.
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 9 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
I can try this out, and if I dont like it, put the old one back, right?
Of course you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an earth science teacher in 9th grade that used to call his students numbnuts.

And blueballs

and moron.

and he had catchphrases he would say all the time such as "adapt and survive".

He was an awful teacher but an awesome individual.

edit: I have multiple SD cards, so if I install it to the NAND, I'll still be able to go back to the regular menu, correct?

(Sorry, im paranoid)

Finally... a menu that I can have everything in one place! I don't have to go searching for everything anymore! I love this menu.

I noticed 2 things:
1) Shoulder buttons are reversed(think this was mentioned?)
2) If you don't put a title(title=[space]) and use the description as the title(description=Squidge SNES Emulator) it is MUCH easier to read. The icon titles run over each other if they're too long.

Took me 5 tries to get it right but it is a beautiful piece of code. Thank you Ryo!

*note: Another anomoly; I goofed and used this line in my link to the GNUboy emu:

exec=/mnt/sd/Apps_Emulators/GameBoy.png

The launcher recognized the link as valid, and when I tried to launch GNUboy, I first got dumped back to gmenu2x. I tried it again and it froze ... I corrected it to "GameBoy.gpe" and all is well ... just thought I'd report ...

(Damn, I'm posting a lot tonight :lol:)

Ryo posted on Aug 10 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
PSyMastR posted on Aug 9 2006 at 07:37 PM said:
Meh, its nice, but all those scripts are going to be a pain in the ass lol. Is there any way to use the mocca method and scan the entire SD for the gpe's and gpu's?

It's planned for a future release (probably next). I don't change the content of my sd very often so I can live with it but I know that a scanner is a necessity so I'll work on it...

May I suggest you use hashing for this? This way, people can rename *.gpe files without causing a mismatch. CRC32 should be good enough and algorithms are available everywhere.

(BTW, by hashing, I mean you get a CRC32 of each file. Then when you scan, you simply compare each file to the list and use the assigned profile for that executable.)

This way you can get community help by getting others to return a list of CRC32s for each program. This way, you should only need to store 4 bytes for each new application and the chance of a collision is 4.3 billion.

I would also recommend that you have a feature to disable NAND scanning.

I really like the feel of this GUI. With a little improvement and ongoing support, I’d love to see a firmware patch that replaces the current GUI with this one.

I like the new menu a lot! Editing menu entries one at a time is tedious, but effective. The menu froze up when I created a folder for a section but left it empty, and I also noticed the L=right R=right issue (at first I wondered, is that intentional? :D )

Regarding a firmware patch, (like icurafu mentioned), wouldn't it just take something like this?

#!/bin/bash
mv /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu_backup #Rename /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu
cp -r gpmenu2x /usr/gp2x #copy gmenu2x directory to /usr/gp2x
cp autorun.gpu /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu #copy autorun.gpu to /usr/gp2x, renaming it gp2xmenu

My syntax might be a little off, but I believe you'd just make a script like that, put it in the same directory as gpmenu2x and autorun.gpu, and run it (you'd have to fix the paths in autorun.gpu and wrapper.sh as well). Of course, I would be afraid to do this. I much prefer the idea of having autorun.gpu on the SD card point to a location in /mnt/nand.

Anyway, I like what I see and look forward to future releases!

I downloaded this verbatim and ran to test. Even though I didn't have my actual directories like the example it still loaded the interface. Obviously it wouldn't have worked if I selected something but I just wanted to look. I hit a shoulder button but when I did it froze. I don't know why. It looked great though.

So I proceeded to create sections and move scripts and icons to the appropriate places (DRMD to Emulators, usboff to UTILITY etc.) I left the gmenu2x dir and autorun in the default spot. Now when I turn on the GP2X it just gives a black screen and locks after bootup. I don't get it. Are there some places where files MUST be and can't be changed? I moved some emu and app files around but left the scripts alone. It would be nice if there was some better error handling, a black screen doesn't give much of a clue.

Is the menu loading all scripts and checking directories when it is loaded? That would eat up alot of RAM if you have alot of apps. I would think it would just load the page as selected, then flush when not displayed.

EDIT: more fiddling and I got it back. I deleted all non-configured links in the GAMES section. The thing that doesn't make sense is that when I first tested the links were not configured and it worked, As I said I just copied the default and launched and all was fine.

I think it would be better to just ignore all links that are not working but still load rather than freeze. A missing icon would be a clue that that app is not configured correctly.

Is there a way to get to the built in apps such as T-mode, LCD setting etc?

Oh yeah, and as was said before the shoulder buttons are backwards.

Other than those hitches it is great.

nixeon3x posted on Aug 10 2006 at 03:20 AM said:
If any one want to create new scripts to link the emulators or games you want
to use, just copy and edit the existing scripts in the section/games folder
using notepad. For example I would make a copy of the nes script to another location
and than open it with notepad using it's "All files" feature so you can see
and than edit it and just save not save as. Than rename the script after that
you move the script back to the games folder so its seen in as a new link in the Menu.
You can also use any icon you want if it's named after the gpe and moved to icon folder,
Here's an example of what I did.

Nes script before

title=Nes
description=Famicom emulator
icon=icons/nes.png
exec=/mnt/sd/gpfce/gpfce.gpe

Nes script after edit now stella

title=stella
description=Atari 2600 emulator
icon=icons/stella.png
exec=/mnt/sd/stella/stella.gpe

Hope this helps :)

Well it doesnt help if you whant to get to the settings or explorer...

Ok fixed some of the bugs that you pointed out...

L and R shoulder buttons seem to be reversed in the SDL implementation that I am using.
Keys and values in links are now trimmed so you can put all the spaces you want before and after them.
Found the root of a crash: sections with no valid links. Fixing that as we speak.

Next release will contain only bug-fixes.
I'll release soon.

RELEASED GMENU2X V0.2.1
As previously announced, this is mainly a bug-fix release.
As always downloads and documentation are on the website: http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net
Direct download:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gmenu2x....1.zip?download

Changelog:
------------
New in 0.2.1
------------
No more crash in presence of a section with no valid links
Keys and values in links are now trimmed. This means that you can put spaces before and after keys and values (IE: " exec = /path/to/link.gpe " is valid)
Split applications section in applications and settings and added settings/exit link that launches the original frontend.
L and R shoulder buttons swapped

XerXerz posted on Aug 10 2006 at 03:15 PM said:
For this video games, how can I change so it adds autmically?
It's not implemented yet.

Great work Ryo! Can't wait to get home and set this up on my GP2X :D

Question:- If I have already have scripts set up (e.g. doom wads) can I just point to these scripts through GMenu2X?

Great will test later.

This is an awesome project. Thanks Ryo for making it possible. Thanks for taking my many ideas and making it into a great useful interface. I really hope this gets to the final "idiot proof" stage were adding, moving, catagorizing, scanning etc can be done without script editing. It is very useable now, a bit tedious adding apps, but if the card doesn't change much once it is done it isn't too bad.

Thanks for the great job I hope maybe they will make this the official menu as the original one sux.

Back