Gmenu2x V0.8 Released

ryosaeba

Certified Guru
Website
mtorromeo.github.com
Update:
GMenu2X 0.8.1 released, it contains only bug fixes. Download it now on the homepage!

GMenu2X 0.8 has been released!
You can get it at the official homepage

Gmenu2x.png

This version comes with links for firmware 2.1.x
Here's the big changes:

Manuals
GMenu2X now supports application manuals visualization.
The manuals will be automatically detected when creating a new link or when using the scanner.
When a manual is present for the selected application, there will be a flashing information icon (i). If you press the Y button it will be displayed.
[cut]
There are 3 kind of manuals supported:

1. Graphic manuals, just like discussed in this topic.
A 20px bar is drawn at the bottom of the screen to display navigation instructions.
There is no limit to the number of pages (except for the dimension of the image the gp2x/sdl can handle) and manuals width should be a multiple of 320px
Pages can use alpha-transparency, they are drawn on top of the menu background.
To be recognized the name must be "nameofgpe.man.png"

2. Text manuals.
This is a manual written in simple text with a special syntax to define multiple pages.
Define a page by writing it's title in square brackets and the text under it.
No limit for the number of the pages.
To be recognized the name must be "nameofgpe.man.txt"

Example:
Code:
[Introduction]
Introductive text
[Controls]
A = Attack
B = Jump
[About]
Developed by....
Thanks to...
Released under GPL

3. Readmes.
GMenu2X will simply display the text of normal readmes
To be recognized the name must contain the word "readme" and the extension must be ".txt"

Output Logs
Enable the output logs in the GMenu2X options and the output of the applications launched by GMenu2X will be logged to a text file. There's also a log viewer.
Logging applications that have a lot of output may slowdown the execution.
Also note that if the application is not being wrapped by GMenu2X (if the application relaunches the menu by itself), the output of GMenu2X will be logged as well...

Volume controls
GMenu2X can set the volume of the gp2x mixer before launching an application. This will only work with applications that don't reset the volume at the start.
It is particularly useful for applications that don't provide volume controls.
A+VolUp: Increase link's volume
A+VolDown: Decrease link's volume
A+VolUp+VolDown: Reset link's volume

Improved selector
If you enable the selector browser in the link's options, the selector will be able to change directory so that it will not be limited to it's starting directory.

Changelog
Code:
Added support for game manuals (.man.png, .man.txt or readmes)
Implemented link's output logs with a log viewer (Disabled by default)
Implemented a simple text reader used in various situations
Implemented volume control (per-link and globally)
Added some confirmation dialogs
Changed cancel button from A to X
Added link to mount nand on usb with a dialog notification if usb is used for networking
Implemented virtual links (gmenu2x settings, usb, log viewer, about)
Added messageboxes
Added links for firmware 2.1.x
Directories browseable from selector
Added a blending effect to selector screenshots.
Updated the README with basic instructions (website is still recommended)
Fixed some minor bugs.

Update info
As always links created from previous versions of GMenu2X are still compatible.
You don't need to delete gmenu2x.conf as well.
If you want to update only the necessary files heres what you should replace/add in the folder gmenu2x/ :
- gmenu2x
- imgs/manual_indicator.png
- imgs/volume.png
- icons/about.png
- icons/explorer.png
- scripts/usbon.sh
- sections/applications/*
- sections/settings/system
- sections/settings/originalsettings
You should remove the following files:
- sections/settings/usbon
- sections/settings/usboff
You can remove if you don't need them
- scripts/bash.sh
- icons/bash.png
- sections/settings/bash

In most cases you can simply copy gmenu2x.conf and the sections/games/* content into a new installation.[/cut]

Many thanks again!!

<3 the transition effect in the preview images!

Paulo Becker posted on Dec 10 2006 at 12:08 AM said:
Hmm, maybe a stupid question, but will it work with FW 2.0? I don't wanna run the risk of an update on my GP2X just yet.
Of course but you'll probably want to keep the link of the standard applications from the previous version.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive always been to lazy to try this, but what the hey, ill give it a go, thanks!

Fantastic! Only started using this recently but it's one of the best developments for the GP2X and it's updated so often too!

Great work!

One thing: changing the section of links isn't working for me, only had a quick go, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong - anyone else noticed this?

®

Shirohagen posted on Dec 10 2006 at 02:09 AM said:
One thing: changing the section of links isn't working for me, only had a quick go, so perhaps I'm doing it wrong - anyone else noticed this?
I confirm this. When you change section, the link moves to the right folder but the interface doesn't show the change. On next gmenu2x boot you'll see the link in the correct section.
I'll fix this in svn but I'll probably release again only after adding other changes.

BTW I'm looking for a couple of official beta testers that will try to detect this kind of bugs before I release. If you are interested PM me.

I also hope to see someone contributing manuals for the best gp2x games and emulators.

Edit: I forgot to say that I'm also interested in discussing changes in gmenu2x to improve it's skinnability with actual skinners. Pedator showed nice skinning skills, if you are interested PM me, we could also open a dedicated topic in the development section...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back