Gmenu2x V0.6 Released

CRP posted on Sep 24 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
It would be nice if one could specify an option to set distance between icons. I think the screen is a bit crowdy right now, and icon names tend to overlap each other, so if one could space them apart a bit, iw would make everything look cleaner.

I found this to be a minor annoyance back in 0.2(ish) so I just didn't fill in the title. I use the description instead.

Example Poker2x:

title= <-- this is a blank space
description=Texas Hold'Em 2X
icon=icons/poker2x.png
exec=/mnt/sd/games/poker2x/poker2x.gpe

No titles cluttering the screen and I still know what the application is by the description field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone figured out a way to use the Selector for Movie Player? When I select a movie from the selector, it brings me to the "Resume Movie" screen in movie player.

Also, anyone figure out how to get openbor working with the selector?

Thanks

EDIT: sp, openbor question

What applications support command-launch? I use it with SquidgeSNES Mame and Doom but i would be happy, using them with the Video/photo viewer, since I store all of them in the same folder (video & music separately, lol)

SSNES and Mame configs are posted somewhere here, but my doom config is, WAD files in a wad folder, pics in another, parameter is

file to link is prboom (or prboom.gpe...)

parameter is
-iwad wads/[selFile].wad (use the wad stored in the wads folder)

directory to scan is
/bla/bla/PrBoom/wads

selector filter is .wad and selector screenshot is
/bla/bla/PrBoom/pics

Using that way instead of the other mentionned on that topic, you have a unique config files for key mapping & settings, and by moving the wads in a WAD folder, you don't see the useless (for us) prboom.wad in the .gpe folder when launching the selector :)

Snapshots is a great idea! but i noticed they may be moved by one or two pixel, to hide the text's highlighting (my snapshots are 160px large)

Ah, yes. That's a better way of doing it. I did look for a commandline for loading wads... I couldn't see one though! :)
That is why I did the separate config files idea (since I found commands to load the wad in the config...)

Ryo posted on Sep 24 2006 at 03:56 PM said:
Just on more thing.
I wanted to clarify that wrapper is not a needed setting for the selector.
The wrapper option means that gmenu2x will relaunch itself after the execution of the link, and it is useful for those programs that don't call the gp2xmenu on exit.

IMHO calling the gp2xmenu internally in every app, is BAD design (really).
This means that when a program crashes the gp2x will freeze (in reality it's not frozen, there's just no graphic application running).

Using a script, or the wrapper feature in gmenu2x, is much much better 'cause the menu will be relaunched even on a crash and it allows the user to customize the program behaviour after its termination. This can't be done if the program relaunches the menu internally.

this makes a lot of sense to me! however, if an application DOESN'T call the default/gamepark menu when it quits, that will break compatability with the default menu, no?

All that would be needed to make it work with the default menu is to also include a script like this

Code:
#!/bin/bash
./appname
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

Easy isn't it? and this script will also relaunch the menu on crash.

It depends on the case.
exec executes the command replacing the current shell in use, without creating a new process.
In this case it's probably better with exec but it doesn't make a big difference.

Excellent work Ryo!

I've just spent about 30 minutes getting my head around setting up the launcher :p
I've now got PrBoom, CloneKeen and GPFCE all using the selector, without a problem. I used reiboul's method for setting up PrBoom.

CloneKeen
Create a folder calleds eps, inside the CloneKeen folder. Inside this folder create a files corrisponding to the episodes you have. In my folder I have 3 0kb files called: ep1, ep2 and ep3.
I then use the following script:
title=Keen
description=CloneKeen
exec=/mnt/sd/data/games/CloneKeen2X/clonekeen2x
selectordir=/mnt/sd/data/games/CloneKeen2X/eps/
params=-[selFile]
wrapper=true
(I need an icon, if anyone has one).

GPFCE
Get rid of selector, and replace it with a script called selector. In this new file put the following:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu
For the script I simply have the following:
title=Nes
description=GPFCE: NES emulator
icon=icons/nes.png
exec=/mnt/sd/data/emulators/gpfce/gpfce
clock=200
selectordir=/mnt/sd/roms/nes/
selectorfilter=.nes
rapper=true

This may be out of the scope for the menu, but would it be possible to add some code that lets you control the volume (up,down,mute), before you launch a program (in the same way you can select the clock speed).

Edit: Ignore that last bit. I've just seen that lots of people have been nagging you for a way of controlling the volume.

Guys, all of these feature requests are going to balloon up this code into something larger than an XP install. It will take about as long to load too.

The whole idea is to get to things as quick as possible no? I think we need to keep it simple.

Javacat posted on Sep 26 2006 at 02:49 AM said:
GPFCE
Get rid of selector at and replace it with a script called selector. In this new file put the following:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu
You can simply get rid of the selector without having to replace it with this script. Just activate the wrapper option.

DaveC posted on Sep 26 2006 at 05:34 AM said:
Guys, all of these feature requests are going to balloon up this code into something larger than an XP install. It will take about as long to load too.

The whole idea is to get to things as quick as possible no? I think we need to keep it simple.
You are right but it depends on the feature, and more importantly on the place where the added code goes.
If it's out of the scope of the first screen (like the selector) the performance should not be damaged noticeably.
I can reassure you though that I also care about loading times and speed, so if a feature is going to introduce a bottleneck and it is not asolutely needed it won't be added.

Ryo posted on Sep 26 2006 at 01:46 PM said:
Javacat posted on Sep 26 2006 at 02:49 AM said:
GPFCE
Get rid of selector, and replace it with a script called selector. In this new file put the following:
#!/bin/bash
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu
You can simply get rid of the selector without having to replace it with this script. Just activate the wrapper option.

I think I tried that last night, but GPFCE just froze when I closed it. I'll try again when I get home.

Would it be possible for you to add a feature which bypasses the selector, if the user wishes? (Maybe using an option on the context menu, which only appears on the menu if selector has been setup for that program).

The selector is a great idea that have to be dug :)
for example : a way to bypass the selector, like Javacat said, but also options to add parameters, for example, using a file, with some lines filled with parameters, and cycle them with vol+ and vol-, like in GnGeo

exemple, for using with gngeo.gpe :

gngeo.gm2x -->

--sound
--sound --cpu 270
--sound --samplerate 11025 --cpu 270

and once in the selector, cycle through them using vol+ and vol-, for adding those parameters in gngeo

I don't know if i'm clear, but if you are using GnGeo without frontend, you will know what i'm talking about

title=GnGeo2x
description=NeoGeo With Sound
icon=(YourIconPath)
params=--frontend=/ --sound --samplerate=11025 [selPath][selFile].zip
clock=(Set it with gMenu2x)
selectordir=(YourRomsPath)
selectorfilter=.zip
wrapper=true

This is my selector for GnGeo

frontend=/ means, don't return to menu on game exit, wrapper is important to get back to gmenu

--sound and --samplerate juste means that this is the shortcut I use for launching NG games with sounds (I have another one without sound) and the rest is for launching the game selected with /path/to/rom/SelectedFile.zip

You can adjust the CPU Speed with gMenu, and if you want to disable sound, just make another icon without the --sound parameter.

That's why I asked for an option to add command lines stored in a text file, that way you can cycle between

(nothing)
--sound --samplerate=11025
--sound --samplerate=22050
--sound --samplerate=44100
--r --sound --samplerate=11025

.. etc ( :p ) without having to make one selector per option

edit : and why not some other text file that replace filenames with a defined name? because you can't rename NeoGeo roms, so having a file that looks like

bstars.zip="Blazing Stars"
mslug.zip="Metal Slug"
etc...

will make the selector looks nicer

I don't know if working on the selector is your priority, but please keep those ideas on mind ;)

Maybe one day with your selector, we may have a unified GUI, and call emulators with your gMenu selector, using command lines and parameters ;) that's what i'm doing with GnGeo and Mame. Unfortunately some other emulators like SquidgeSNES dont have many command line parameters, because sometimes I want to load a game without sound, so I miss a -mute parameter... Or maybe is there already some options to do that?

I'm really looking forward for your next release, it looks so promising!!

i think i discovered a bug.. when no games are added to the games section (new installation) and you press b -> crash!

cheers

Anybody got OpenBOR to work with selector?
The OpenBOR readme mentions the parameter "-pak file.pak"

Here's what I've tried:
params=-pak "[selPath][selFile][selExt]"
selectordir=/mnt/sd/Games/beats_of_rage/
selectorfilter=.PAK

and

params=-pak "[selFile][selExt]"
selectordir=/mnt/sd/Games/beats_of_rage/
selectorfilter=.PAK

Anyone get this to work?

Thanks

Back