Gmenu2x V0.2 Released

Tried TV-Out in version 2.0. Displays properly on the TV but it "flickers" every few seconds and when I purposely caused it to exit (hit the start button) the screen wen't off and displayed a corrupted image on the GP2xes LCD.

Will Try 2.1 later to see if the problem is resolved.

Great Menu by the way :)

Macleod posted on Aug 10 2006 at 04:13 PM said:
Question:- If I have already have scripts set up (e.g. doom wads) can I just point to these scripts through GMenu2X?
Shoudn't be a problem...

Aimless_E posted on Aug 10 2006 at 04:27 PM said:
Tried TV-Out in version 2.0. Displays properly on the TV but it "flickers" every few seconds and when I purposely caused it to exit (hit the start button) the screen wen't off and displayed a corrupted image on the GP2xes LCD.

Will Try 2.1 later to see if the problem is resolved.

Great Menu by the way :)
Don't think it's solved, gmenu2x actually has no code relative to tv-out, maybe the cpuspeed.sh script has something to do with it.
To actually make gmenu2x tv-out friendly I need to get some knowledge on how it actually works, 'cause now I don't have a clue...

Last edited by a moderator:
you sorted a donate acccount yet Ryo my good man?

this is the icing on the cake as far as showing the gp2x off to people.

s w e e t !

This is a great thingy! I love it! I noticed the flipped tab-controls when I added a new tab, but I'll wait with downloading again 'till the next "full" version comes.

The overclocking is a god-send! More features like this would truly make your menu system a dream to use! Maybe we could change resolutions and things? (not advisable for non-3D games, of course, but useful for Quake and Quake 2 and the like) Also, maybe even the possibility to have different settings for the same menu item, chosen with a hot-key or through a menu?

When I played Quake today in letterboxed format and then exited, the letterboxing stayed on top of the menu, not distorting it but masking the top and bottom of the screen. When I tried, then, to reverse it by playing REGULAR Quake, it booted in letterbox. Maybe there could be a quick check of resolution every time the menu is reloaded?

Also, is it possible to add a feature to save the settings for files (currently just over/underclock, I suppose) so that when you restart, you boot up with the same per-file settings?

Rockin' thing! Love it!

I've been using this a bit now, and it is really great work. This is one of those programs that is so intuiive once you start using it you say to yourself 'this is what the gp2x menu shoudl've been all along.' Thanks for your work Ryo.

Glad to see your working on tvout too. One more request for future versions though. Would it be possible to have access to the LCD screen settings from gmenu as well? Or is there a way to put program specific parameters in links for lcd settings ?

Looks brilliant, Ryo.

I can't get it to start myself. I've deleted the files in section/games and even tried deleting the directory. I've no reason to have line break problems, since I'm using Linux, unless the ones you supplied are faulty? I get a black screen when I start up, that's with everything default except faulty links removed.

Thanks.

2 of my scripts aren't showing up.

Code:
title=RACE!
description=NeoGeo Pocket Color emulator
icon=icons/neogeopocket.png
exec=/mnt/sd/emulators/race/race.gpe

Code:
title=SNESGP2X
description=Super Nintendo Emulator
icon=icons/snes.png
clock=275
exec=/mnt/sd/data/emulators/snesgp2x/snesgp2x.gpe

Are things allowed to share icons/descriptions? Maybe that could be why. I have a SquidgeSNES setup like this:

Code:
title=SquidgeSNES
description=Super Nintendo Emulator
icon=icons/snes.png
clock=275
exec=/mnt/sd/data/emulators/squidgesnes/squidgesnes.gpe

Not sure though. RACE! is also questionable.

just my 10 cents worth but i'd frickin love the option of having sound effects for each joystick movement/select. and maybe a background mp3.

wicked stuff tho, really needed this. :)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 10 2006 at 11:57 AM said:
...how do you enable autorun on the gp2x? i wanna try this now...

You need FW 2.0 ... under Settings > System.

First of all, I received a donation that sourceforge notified as anonymous but I suppose it was from deepmenace that asked for my paypal account. Really really thank you.
(Sourceforge kept 1$ from the donation as a fee, and I cannot include my paypal id on the website cause of the terms of use)

Magnulus posted on Aug 10 2006 at 05:15 PM said:
This is a great thingy! I love it! I noticed the flipped tab-controls when I added a new tab, but I'll wait with downloading again 'till the next "full" version comes.
Should be fixed in 0.2.1

Also, is it possible to add a feature to save the settings for files (currently just over/underclock, I suppose) so that when you restart, you boot up with the same per-file settings?
Planned.

naples39 posted on Aug 10 2006 at 05:38 PM said:
Glad to see your working on tvout too. One more request for future versions though. Would it be possible to have access to the LCD screen settings from gmenu as well? Or is there a way to put program specific parameters in links for lcd settings ?
Original LCD settings are not accessible via gmenu2x cause they are builtin with the original frontend.
The utility cpuspeed has some settings for the LCD and you can tweak them editing scripts/cpuspeed.sh

Alvin posted on Aug 10 2006 at 05:45 PM said:
Looks brilliant, Ryo.

I can't get it to start myself. I've deleted the files in section/games and even tried deleting the directory. I've no reason to have line break problems, since I'm using Linux, unless the ones you supplied are faulty? I get a black screen when I start up, that's with everything default except faulty links removed.

Thanks.
Are you using 0.2.1?

deepmenace posted on Aug 10 2006 at 05:55 PM said:
just my 10 cents worth but i'd frickin love the option of having sound effects for each joystick movement/select. and maybe a background mp3.

wicked stuff tho, really needed this. :)
Don't know how useful could be a background mp3, normally you just navigate in the menu for some seconds and launch a link. A nice sound for joystick movements could be nice though (should be deactivatable).

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 10 2006 at 05:57 PM said:
...how do you enable autorun on the gp2x? i wanna try this now...
From the original frontend, go to the "settings" menu, then "system" and turn autorun on. Also if you place gmenu2x on the nand you should turn on "mount nand on boot" or the autorun will not work from there.

Quesiton for all,

would a perl script to generate links for now would be usefull to somone ?

I might write one this night,
will keep you up to date.

paxl13

@TelcoLou: Thanks for the donation

@daclassicgamingmaster: In version 0.2.1 I added a link (if you don't remove it) to launch the default menu so you can still access the nand and remove it or you can keep start+select pressed during the firmware boot to prevent autorun.

Ryo posted on Aug 10 2006 at 04:42 PM said:
Planned.

Can you set the catagory that comes up as default when the menu first loads? For example if I mostly use it for games I would want it to start up with the section icon GAMES highlighted automatically when I turn on the unit. This could be set for anything obviously. Also is there a way to set the order that the catagory icons at the top appear? So If I wanted it to show as Games first, then Emulators, then Demos, Music, movies in that order how would I set it?

Also any of these settings should only be written when they are changed. Any autowrites should be discouraged as it wears out card/NAND plus increases chances for corruption if the write happens during low battery etc.

I made an 'emulators' section, and I got everything working so far, but cant figure out the problem with icons.

I replaced the default snes icon that came with the download with the one i've been using. What would be the new path to specify that location?

In other words, it's the same location, but a different .png...

Here is something you should add that would be very cool and useful:

Make it so you can create links to Music, Image, Ebooks, and Video files. So that when you launched say a link to a photo file it would run the file through the defualt Image viewer. Whats the point? The point is so you could have your menu sections set up like this: games emulators applications settings video pictures music ebooks

So you could easyily browse through all your files with "L" and "R".

Even better have Each Video, music, photo, and ebook section automatically search your Gp2x for and display all of there type of file. Also have some way of creating settings to sort each section's file. Like being able to set each files's color with a press of a button or dividing different groups of Video, audio, image, or Ebook files into subsections. That would be amazing. By the way I really like your Menu and am finding it very useful.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:28 PM said:
I replaced the default snes icon that came with the download with the one i've been using. What would be the new path to specify that location?

In other words, it's the same location, but a different .png...
It would be "icons/snes.png" the paths are relative to the gmenu2x folder, otherwise use absolute paths.

Troy the Great posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:33 PM said:
Make it so you can create links to Music, Image, Ebooks, and Video files. So that when you launched say a link to a photo file it would run the file through the defualt Image viewer. Whats the point? The point is so you could have your menu sections set up like this: games emulators applications settings video pictures music ebooks
Do the official players support opening files directly? It would be otherwise impossible if not using alternative applications.

Troy the Great posted on Aug 10 2006 at 08:33 PM said:
Even better have Each Video, music, photo, and ebook section automatically search your Gp2x for and display all of there type of file. Also have some way of creating settings to sort each section's file. Like being able to set each files's color with a press of a button or dividing different groups of Video, audio, image, or Ebook files into subsections. That would be amazing. By the way I really like your Menu and am finding it very useful.
That would be a lot of changes. For things that radical I would like to hear everyones opinion before taking decisions.
That's not happening anytime soon anyway.

Ryo posted on Aug 10 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
It would be "icons/snes.png" the paths are relative to the gmenu2x folder, otherwise use absolute paths.
Not working. The name of the png is squidgesnes.png, and I've tried absolute and relative depending on the location. :huh:

Back