Finalizing everything!

I think you would have to go to a lot of trouble to turn the nubs.
But someone did it at gamescom on the early board, so it probably wasn't hard.

I have a habit of spinning pandora's nubs around (while waiting for things to load and such), that's why I'm concerned. Maybe some hole and a pin could be made to stop the rotation.

I have a habit of spinning pandora's nubs around (while waiting for things to load and such), that's why I'm concerned. Maybe some hole and a pin could be made to stop the rotation.

Isn't it just a square peg in a square hole? Just don't try to spin it...

Great news!

Quite a few of you have cried for a 4GB version, and we MIGHT be able to provide one.
That would be...

afarac-aces1qrvt.gif

What we also don't know yet is whether we'll offer the 4GB as an optional upgrade or include it with the 4G version. It'll become pretty complex for the production run if we have so many different version.

Of course, once we'll know more, I'll let you know.
Any guesstimates as to when that might be?

I don't think you are spinning them in a way that could destroy them, you don't rotate the disk (and pegs underneath) themselves, but move them around in circles, don't you?
The latter is normal use, the former would lead to destruction in most joysicks. Wouldn't be different if you try to rotate the stick itself on an old C64 Joystick(hhough you probably would need more force to do that).

Also with nub discs it would be much harder to rotate themselves than with an alalogstick (or with the exposed nubs on a devboard)

Last edited:
I'd like the 4GB of RAM, but I don't want the 4G. But then, the RAM should be on the CPU board, right? If it is, it'd be upgradeable, like it's supposed to be.
If you want to make a 2GB version, just have two CPU boards at launch, one with 2GB and one with 4GB, and let people choose when they order. Or maybe come out with the 2GB initially, and make the 4GB an upgrade. That might work.

I know that someone else has said some of this. I reckon it's worth saying again.

I wouldn't bother with upgrading my brand new device just to get extra RAM. Maybe if everyone else feels the same way it would be better for ED, and he won't have many orders for those.

Perhaps those that want 4G and 2GB (to make the battery last longer?) can trade CPU boards with those that want wifi only and 4GB.

I have a habit of spinning pandora's nubs around (while waiting for things to load and such), that's why I'm concerned.
Same here. Mine even spin a little just in normal use. The 3DS one only allows a tiny degree of spinning but also has a better grip, so it doesn't really seem to spin at all in normal use.
Here's just me hoping that the supposedly super durable plastics help there. I mean, that one battery cover of the printed version broke pretty quickly.
This is still something that should be looked out for, though.

I don't think you are spinning them in a way that could destroy them, you don't rotate the disk (and pegs underneath) themselves, but move them around in circles, don't you?
Do you have a pandora? You can rotate it's nub disks all day long without moving the nubs themselves (and the machine registering any input).

Yes, the nubs still can be broken if you turn them, but no, this cannot accidentally happen, you really would need to be WANTING to do that.
When they're inside the case, it's more like "Can the display be broken if you press too hard on it" which also is a yes.

You can spin the nubs about 25 - 30°, then they have a bit of a stop. You can't spin them further if you keep keep rotating your thumbs - your thumbs will start to slide. That's how much force you need to do so.

The only way to break them with spinning is when you hold them from the top with your thumb and index finger and force-rotate them.
This is how it happened at the GamesCom - however, that only works when the PCB is not inside the case, as you then have enough space to actually hold the disc between your two fingers to rotate it.

When the unit is assembled, you only have the top of the disc available, and when you try to grab it between your two fingers, the case gets in your way.

So it's not easily possible... maybe if you use crazy glue to attach your thumb to the nub disc first, then you could start rotating :)

BTW: I'm also a nub rotator while waiting, and I even do it on the Pyra. It's even more fun rotating it, as the springs rotate it back automatically :D

Do you have a pandora?
No I don't, one of the reasons I'm waiting for the pyra :)
just assumed it would have a rectangular base to and with all the joystick like devices I used spinning normally equals moving them in circles. sorry for that misconception.

You can rotate it's nub disks all day long without moving the nubs themselves (and the machine registering any input).

But as you say, that still won't rotate the nubs themselves. I gues the frictrion of the nub wheels on the pandora is pretty low? I just tested it with an analog stick here with a square base, if you try to spin it you experience that you wont be able to do it without a big force. Of course I have no Idea how fragile to pyra ones will be, but dont expect it would be that much fragile. And a forceful rotation would be harder on the assembled unid than on the bare devboard.
[doublepost=1461456017,1461455555][/doublepost]
You can spin the nubs about 25 - 30°, then they have a bit of a stop. You can't spin them further if you keep keep rotating your thumbs - your thumbs will start to slide.
Ah, interesting. 20-30° is quite a bit, do the spinning send additional inputs or is it just to make it more comfortable to use?

BTW: I'm also a nub rotator while waiting, and I even do it on the Pyra. It's even more fun rotating it, as the springs rotate it back automatically :D
You just had to mention this, didn't you? :) That is going to be one of the first things I do with my Pyra when I get it now, and I will probably do it all the time.

Anyway, if you are concerned about breaking your nubs don't try to twist them.

I don't give an arse how much ram mine has as long as I have either 3G or 4G. XD
I have precisely zero use for a 4G system, but many tasks that would probably overrun 4GB of RAM (well, I have one right now that would).
While it's technically feasible that ED could sell 4G and wifi only with mix and match 2GB vs 4GB CPU boards, he might not for sanity sake.
In that case, it may be worthwhile to start some kind of swap market: two people with opposite needs buy one of each, and then meet in a back alley somewhere to swap the CPU boards.

4GB of memory would give the pyra the ability to expand, as far as the utilization of this memory it depends on the page file and the size of the contiguous pages stored in the page file. as far as ram is concerned the more the better. your page file can always swap out to the disk but, this takes more time to swap where speed is concerned it is better to have more RAM than not enough.

It depends on how the chips are connected. It could be that one memory chip is only enough to populate half of the memory channel, requiring two chips for full bandwidth on that channel. Or they could be banked, in which case removing half the chips would not cause degraded performance.

The current Pyra CPU board configuration is with 4x16-bit 512MB DDR3L chips, which provides a 2x32-bit interface.

If they're looking at 1GB chips with a compatible pinout there's no way that they'll be able to get the same 2x32-bit configuration. If they're looking at 32-bit chips, that would probably mean a new PCB design. It doesn't seem like that's the case.

Isn't that the reason why they are noisy? Are the new ones noisy?

4gb, including at least 2gb which are useless for the vast majority of people and which consume power non-stop, is a nonsense to me. I would like 4G with 2gb RAM.

Last edited:
Isn't that the reason why they are noisy? Are the new ones noisy?
I have three Pandori, don't recall any of them making any noise, spinning them or other wise.

I have three Pandori, don't recall any of them making any noise, spinning them or other wise.
I mean maybe @EvilDragon, by spinning Pyra nubs frequently, managed to deform the nubs springs and that's why they are noisy.

Last edited:
Back