Beta [Beta] Minecraft launcher

Apologies for not quite getting the instructions you have, maybe there's something wrong with my Pandora setup that it doesn't seem to create a link file for me to copy. Maybe I need to do a full reflash on my system. Thanks again for the help on this anyway:)
Forget about symlink if your SDCard is formated in FAT32 (i.e. readable in a Windows computer). In that case, I suggest you install OptiFine by the 'add the jar content' that you can find on tutorial on the net.
That's more than likely what's causing my linking issues, sorry again for causing confusion on the matter! I'll look up the forums later to learn about adding optifine manually :)
I just installed it on my desktop and copied he .minecraft folder over... bonus is that my desktop saves are on my Pandora... now I just need to add the saves to owncloud... hmmm

I thought you accessed the graphics through SDL, and SDL accessed OpenGL?
It doesn't really do any translating for you as far as 3d rendering goes.
The confusion is probably my fault. When I first started investigating compiling lwjgl for native GLES, I found that setup was actually very generic: it would return a parent "context" and lwjgl would take care of whether it was a GL context or an EGL context. After some digging I found that Minecraft was doing what I thought was bad, getting the generic context and then casting it to a GL context which obviously failed. After some hacking to get it to stop doing that I encountered several other places where it was doing a lot of OpenGL specific stuff that had properly generic counterparts and basically wrote the whole thing off as "too hard". I hadn't read enough into it to see that, even though a lot of the setup is identical between GL and GLES, there are necessary differences and that lwjgl doesn't act as a shim the way I originally thought it did.Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last update (probably) before going to the repo.

I forced the "-server" parameter (I haven't notice any changes). Please test and report, so I know if I put his one or the previous (without the -server parameter) to the repo.

Downloading the newest version now. Just attached some plots from the old one in case anyone is interested. Run in OpenBox with CPU at 1.2 GHz and sysspeed at 440 MHz. Stayed steady at 15 FPS except for dropping to 8-9 FPS a couple times when a lot of chunks were loading (I think).

plot-cpu.png

plot-mem.png

Last update (probably) before going to the repo.

I forced the "-server" parameter (I haven't notice any changes). Please test and report, so I know if I put his one or the previous (without the -server parameter) to the repo.
Could I please get a copy of the old build? I forgot to back it up and need to compare numbers in a few different areas to tell if this version is performing better or not.

Ok, So last last beta before going to the repo.

First, I updated glshim with the fps counter on Notaz' LiveInfo (so go grab latest version of it on the repo).

I used this time -Xbatch mainly (and server mode). So there are some annoying freezes, but the overall speed seems (to me) better.

If you want to compare, here is the version with only Server option, and here original client (all updates with glshim with fps counter).

okay this Evening i will fight with my inner Pig and will make 2 Videos with the differrent Versions.

I have a Minecraft Server @ Home and can make a Video easy here.

Have a long working Day today too.

The work eat me up here but i am very curious about the Patches in the new Versions.

Video with new Version will come laately this Evening.

Oki Doki ;)

okay this Evening i will fight with my inner Pig and will make 2 Videos with the differrent Versions.

I have a Minecraft Server @ Home and can make a Video easy here.

Have a long working Day today too.

The work eat me up here but i am very curious about the Patches in the new Versions.

Video with new Version will come laately this Evening.

Oki Doki ;)
:rolleyes: thx!

Minecraft beta 1.5_01 not only works on the Pandora - but it is basically very usable with Optimine+Optifog - getting about 10-15fps on Far, and 18-25fps on tiny (!).

But there is a very strange bug regarding the inventory - it's basically showing up a bunch of garbled graphics (EDIT2: ...but only sometimes?). The same bug can also be seen in 1.2.5 (with other graphics), so it seems like the issue disappeared only recently.

Would be nice if it could be fixed, since that would mean that you can basically play the beta releases - on fullspeed, very usable.

Still trying to figure out if there's a particular version which killed the FPS since there is a *huge* difference between beta 1.5 and current 1.7.x versions (1.7.4 in my case since a friend's server is running it)

I'm also getting random issues with the last PND version with the game crashing shortly after launch. I initially thought this was related to a lack of internet (which makes no sense, granted - but it magically disappeared when I turned it on), but after fooling around, it seems to occur by random, and make the game very hard to test in general. This also occasionally kills mouse clicking (including when you use the touch screen) Going to try figure out why this happens, and if the previous version has the same problem.

EDIT: found a rather major issue - if Minecraft in the pause menu show the "saving level.." text, the game crashes completely (EDIT2: ...but only sometimes?). I guess this isn't caused by the text but rather something else that happens when it does this - but a thing to keep in mind is that if you just quit the game outright with "Save and Quit to Title" before Minecraft does this, the game will quit fine without any crash and save the level in the process.

Made a list below of fps (1.5_01 and 1.7.3 stats taken from the 1st F3 tick at different times, but the rest of these numbers use notaz' live update thing)

Tests below are all done on SSP using a world with seed 404 from pre-Adventure Update (i.e. the generation used in beta 1.2-1.7) on difficulty Peaceful without Optifine/Optimine (unless specified) on latest PND in Openbox on 1.2GHz with launcher and a LXTerminal (for pnd_run since I have several minecraft.pnd at the moment). Note that world generation changed at b1.8, and that 1.3 made SSP also use the minecraft server.

Tests was done running Minecraft for about 5min to try to get an idea of the average fps, som min-max level of what could happen.

b1.5_01 - 7-14fps

b1.5_01_optimine+optifog - 18-25fps (you actually get 45+fps if you look straight up, but I guess this isn't how people play :p )

b1.7.3 - 7-14fps

b1.8.1 - 5-8fps

1.0 - 6-12fps

1.1 - 7-13fps

1.2.5 - 11-16fps

1.2.5_optifine - crashes on world load

1.3.2 - 2-15fps (getting some very high fps spread here, at one point the game almost locks up, at one point it's just as good as previous versions - might have to do with how much the server is processing in the background - average is about 7fps, which is a significant decrease)

1.4.7 - 3-10fps (I have no idea why max fps got much worse here. At least experience is a bit more stable with less lock-ups, and average is still 7)

1.5.2 - 2-7fps (RIP fps :( )

1.6.4 - 1-8fps (slightly different numbers, but experience was basically the same)

1.7.4 - 4-10fps (basically same as 1.4)

Basically, seems like beta 1.8 completely killed performance, and 1.0 made it somewhat usable again The mandatory server for 1.3 had a significant impact on fps.

One thing which would be very interesting to try out is optifine on *1.2.5* which seem to be the version that works best by far without optifine. It would also be interesting to try out some more worlds, perhaps 404@b1.7.3 and prior is exceptionally lightweight on peaceful.

The Server Version did not start here,dont know exactly why.

Here the normal Version without Optifine....

...this is realy a HUUUGE Improvement against my old Video :lol:

Great work thx ;)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Lx7PMNUWBpU?feature=oembed

(had little fight with my TV Card Drivers but work now) :rolleyes:

for the next Video will i try Optifine

So I tried optifine for Minecraft 1.2.5, and the game immediately crashes when you load a world. To ensure that I didn't just mess up my installation, I copied the setup to my computer and configurations, etc, and the issue didn't happen there.

That's a shame, since 1.2.5 was the version that worked the best for me w/o optifine.

Launch log (creating a SSP world with seed 404 and default options):

http://sprunge.us/NEWN

Here's a PC log of the very same actions, followed by exiting the world and the game:

http://sprunge.us/YHCf

This line seems rather suspicious:

[03:19:54 INFO]: Client> setupTexture: "/terrain.png", id: -1700480907

and seem to have caused the crash?

I had the game running reasonably speedily on my Pandora (Minecraft 1.7.10), so to get Optifine working I installed everything onto my Windows laptop, then copied that .minecraft folder back onto my Pandora. Should I have been able to access extra video customisation options like I could on my laptop? Regardless it actually ran a lot slower and even though I re downloaded the original mincraft data again on my Pandora I can't seem to get any frame rates near what was shown in that video! I've not gotten to download the latest beta as I'm just starting holidays so my wifi access will be limited for a bit

^ When I messed around with optimine on 1.5_10, I basically got it running to the point that there wasn't really significant frameskip, and aside from the occasional lockup when the game would load chunks (something that can be tweaked down in the settings in Optifog), was fully playable.

I had the game running reasonably speedily on my Pandora (Minecraft 1.7.10), so to get Optifine working I installed everything onto my Windows laptop, then copied that .minecraft folder back onto my Pandora. Should I have been able to access extra video customisation options like I could on my laptop? Regardless it actually ran a lot slower and even though I re downloaded the original mincraft data again on my Pandora I can't seem to get any frame rates near what was shown in that video! I've not gotten to download the latest beta as I'm just starting holidays so my wifi access will be limited for a bit

It sounds like I definitely missed plenty of steps there. I simply copied across the .minecraft directory and ran the PND as normal. I then had optifine as a profile option but wasn't sure if it was doing anything(I'm guessing in this case not)

It sounds like I definitely missed plenty of steps there. I simply copied across the .minecraft directory and ran the PND as normal. I then had optifine as a profile option but wasn't sure if it was doing anything(I'm guessing in this case not)

The Server Version did not start here,dont know exactly why.

Here the normal Version without Optifine....

Great work thx ;)

(had little fight with my TV Card Drivers but work now) :rolleyes:

for the next Video will i try Optifine
Thanks, it's a nice video, I'll put it in 1st post when I'll do the repo release.

So I tried optifine for Minecraft 1.2.5, and the game immediately crashes when you load a world. To ensure that I didn't just mess up my installation, I copied the setup to my computer and configurations, etc, and the issue didn't happen there.

That's a shame, since 1.2.5 was the version that worked the best for me w/o optifine.

Launch log (creating a SSP world with seed 404 and default options):

http://sprunge.us/NEWN

Here's a PC log of the very same actions, followed by exiting the world and the game:

http://sprunge.us/YHCf

This line seems rather suspicious:

[03:19:54 INFO]: Client> setupTexture: "/terrain.png", id: -1700480907

and seem to have caused the crash?
Intersting logs. And yes, something fishy going on with the text id (having a large negative number should not be an issue), I'll check my code in here...

Beginning of the video is rather slow, though... like 1-2 fps... it gets better later but it's far from what I'd consider to be playable :) Even though it's great to see it running.
Yes, the begining is always slow, because the chunks are loading, the java JIT is working... But after some time (1 minute or 2), it become smoother. It's not super smooth, sure, and more a POC or a preview of what the Pyra will enable us to do.

Back