It was playable on my gigahertz model, both with RPi game and Voxel Legend game (playable = around 10fps), and with default settings, strange it's so slow on a Rebirth... And no, I haven't looked at Craft yet.
Cheers, Magic Sam* Particles are now sent to client regarding distance (huge performance improvement on particle servers) (paramat)
* Recent LuaJIT fixes (nerzhul)
* Various performance fixes (???)
* Huge ABM handling code performance improvement (nerzhul)
* Undersampling which should make minetest run better on low end devices (numberZero)
* Add a mapblock cache in MeshUpdateQueue to improve client rendering performance (celeron55)
* Server side occlusion culling (lhofhansl)
* Do not scale texture unless necessary
* Add setting for near plane distance to improve performance
* LBM lookup performance improvement on mapblock loading
So, I have made a new build. It seems a bit smoother yes, but my patch for "shoulder as mouse button" doesn't apply cleanly, so I'll need more time to adapt it.