Beta [Beta] Minecraft launcher

10-20 FPS, did you plan overclocked or with 1 Ghz. Is this game limited by the gpu or the cpu?

I have high hopes for Minecraft on Pyra. Right now we are seeing 5-10 FPS on Pandora with more default setups. With Optifine and settings turned down for speed, we are seeing 10-20 FPS. I'm hoping use of one core on Pyra can get us 20-30 FPS with a moderate balance of Optifine settings turned down. 

I'm hoping for even better performance as threading is possibly worked out and both the cores can be utilized.

I'm also very excited for the new controls (nub clicks and L2/R2 especially) as there are a lot of buttons I would like to be pushing all at one time!

I have high hopes for Minecraft on Pyra. Right now we are seeing 5-10 FPS on Pandora with more default setups. With Optifine and settings turned down for speed, we are seeing 10-20 FPS. I'm hoping use of one core on Pyra can get us 20-30 FPS with a moderate balance of Optifine settings turned down. 

I'm hoping for even better performance as threading is possibly worked out and both the cores can be utilized.

I'm also very excited for the new controls (nub clicks and L2/R2 especially) as there are a lot of buttons I would like to be pushing all at one time!
Yup, Minecraft on Pyra can by an interesting Tech demo ;)

10-20 FPS, did you plan overclocked or with 1 Ghz. Is this game limited by the gpu or the cpu?
I am currently overclocking CPU to 1.2 GHz. That seems to be the highest I can go without noticing any instability. I am on the 4.10 SGX driver and have not messed with GPU speed.

EDIT: I also am not sure what the limiting factor is, but would running with Pandora System Info help figure that out?

Last edited by a moderator:

I know it is early days yet, but is there any chance we will see something running on ED's dev board in the coming months? I would really love to see the result. I know it would probably not be worth the effort to get everything working, but I am keen to see how it fairs and would love to see it ready for use at Pyra's launch.

And it actualy can get only better when the new MC version 1.8 is finaly out, alot of optimizing (and rewriting) like multi threaded chunk loading (like Optifine already offers) and more. Snapshot notes sound interesting:

This snapshot contains a lot of optimizations specifically targeting render performance. If your system supports it, you can select VBO in the video setting. This enables Vertex Buffer Objects and should increase your fps by 5% to 10% on average. We are especially interested on feedback on performance related issues with this snapshot.
https://mojang.com/2014/07/minecraft-snapshot-14w29a/

Question is if the Pyra will support this stuff, it's afaik mostly OpenGL. ^^" Maybe someon can test the snapshots and make a report? No Optifine at the moment available for Minecraft Snapshots but they actualy should run a little bit better than the current stable MC version (without Optifine).

What Mojang needs to do, is allow lwjgl to handle all the graphics stuff. Then Minecraft would not care if you're using OpenGL, or OpenGLES.

Currently on the Pandora, Minecraft warns that future versions will not run unless the system can be upgraded to handle OpenGL 2.0, so hopefully we can make that happen and make use of the future optimizations.

lwgjl would need to be a game engine for that to work. it's just a library that exposes OpenGL contexts and functions directly to java.

lwgjl would need to be a game engine for that to work. it's just a library that exposes OpenGL contexts and functions directly to java.
Yes, and it supports OpenGLES. That SHOULD mean Minecraft would work on OpenGLES, but it doesn't because they coded it in some weird way. It must not be using lwjgl right.

Does anyone know how to turn one of the keyboard keys into a touchscreen right click modifier?
Holding start does that in xfce, it might work here too.
Hmm it doesn't seem to work in Minimenu. I tend to avoid running taxing software from XFCE for performance reasons, but maybe it won't affect Minecraft. Will try it out later.

I tried increasing sysspeed to 450. Runs very smooth and better than before. I'm getting steady 15 FPS and the game doesn't slowdown below that nearly as much. It seems like 15 FPS is the limit for the my CPU at 1.2 GHz however, as it rarely seems to go above that.

Yes, and it supports OpenGLES. That SHOULD mean Minecraft would work on OpenGLES, but it doesn't because they coded it in some weird way. It must not be using lwjgl right.
It supports OpenGL ES the same way a pencil supports a paper. You still need to do all of the work yourself to support EITHER OpenGL or GL ES. You do not get either or both for free. I have an entire project based around this.

LWJGL is not a game engine. It *only* allows Java to access a few APIs, including OpenGL and GLES (but separately). It's basically some initialization functions and a raw list of things you can do using the underlying API.

For Minecraft to "just work" with OpenGL ES they would probably need an entire separate GL ES renderer *in Minecraft*.

LWGJL is very minimal (look up the meaning of the name). It only provides a list of functions the app is able to call, which are pretty much directly mapped to the equivalent functions by the same name in GL or ES. The list is different for OpenGL and OpenGL ES. Completely different. It doesn't even share the parts of GL ES that exist in GL.

I thought lwjgl was more like SDL. You called it's functions, and it passed it to whatever graphics system you were using.

It doesn't really do any translating for you as far as 3d rendering goes.

The only projects that do what I think you're trying to describe are game *engines*, and shims like glshim and regal.

I'd much rather see an updated package of minetest. They've just released a new stable version and the core game is really coming along. Much more suited to the pandy and a lot closer to the original MC experience than the PE editions.

I'd much rather see an updated package of minetest. They've just released a new stable version and the core game is really coming along. Much more suited to the pandy and a lot closer to the original MC experience than the PE editions.
@eyecreate is the maintainer of the pnd.

Apologies for not quite getting the instructions you have, maybe there's something wrong with my Pandora setup that it doesn't seem to create a link file for me to copy. Maybe I need to do a full reflash on my system. Thanks again for the help on this anyway:)
Forget about symlink if your SDCard is formated in FAT32 (i.e. readable in a Windows computer). In that case, I suggest you install OptiFine by the 'add the jar content' that you can find on tutorial on the net.
That's more than likely what's causing my linking issues, sorry again for causing confusion on the matter! I'll look up the forums later to learn about adding optifine manually :)

Back