Beta [Beta] Minecraft launcher

My son plays a lot of minecraft on PC.  He would love this on the pandora, but I wouldn't give him my pandora until it is equipped with the Aluminum case or else he will break it like he broke his iPad ...

Dos this also work on my CC Pandora (900 mhz and 256 mb Ram) or do i have to wait for the Pyra ??

Usable real Minecraft on the Pandora is realy cool :)
It can work (with a Swapfile), but will be a bit slower of course. I have not done extensive testing the CC or Rebirth for now.
Thanks for the info.  I am looking forward to matzesu's report.

New version out here:

https://mojang.com/2014/07/minecraft-snapshot-14w30a/

They focussed mainly on optimizing, so it might be faster now.
Thanks for sharing this.  I am not sure if this information is useful since I don't what version it is for, and I haven't personally paid for the game.

I am going to give it a shot.  If I get anything good, or if I need help I will mention it here I guess.

Thanks Shenmue for the assistance in PM.

I would like to see a test wherein someone just points in one direction and walks. Start an entirely new world and walk as far as you can. When I was running a server on my BeagleBoard I could only go about 20 blocks (320m) before hitting an invisible wall of ungenerated world and having to wait a couple minutes for it to catch up, and that was just the server with the game actually playing on my desktop. I know world generation has been greatly improved but I wonder if it's so improved that the Pandora will not have this problem at all.

I would like to see a test wherein someone just points in one direction and walks. Start an entirely new world and walk as far as you can. When I was running a server on my BeagleBoard I could only go about 20 blocks (320m) before hitting an invisible wall of ungenerated world and having to wait a couple minutes for it to catch up, and that was just the server with the game actually playing on my desktop. I know world generation has been greatly improved but I wonder if it's so improved that the Pandora will not have this problem at all.
I came across this in my offline world generated entirely on the Pandora. Didn't investigate too far into it as the world beyond that invisible boundary loaded fairly quickly. Didn't need to wait more than ten seconds before I could move ahead again.

A few years ago when I played I didn't need to pay...has this changed?

I was trying to use it to show someone, but I guess I can use their account to get it set up, but that kind of ruins the effect of "hey, look at this...now go buy a pandora".

A few years ago when I played I didn't need to pay...has this changed?

I was trying to use it to show someone, but I guess I can use their account to get it set up, but that kind of ruins the effect of "hey, look at this...now go buy a pandora".
You have to buy an account now. Just to show it off as running you can enter their username/password and it will "just work" after it downloads the game files. If you want it set up with optifine to run faster, then you will need an account first so the launcher can download the game files for you to mod with optifine after.

You have to buy an account now.
I just ran it on a laptop to see what I couldn't on my Pandora.  The demo still works.  Thanks for the suggestions.

To avoid it being suggested that others are trying to do something illicit if they run into issues, off the bottom of the screen, in the middle of the window, there is a button allowing you to play the demo.  It might be useful for people to dig a little deeper instead of assuming the worst of everyone.

I just ran it on a laptop to see what I couldn't on my Pandora. The demo still works. Thanks for the suggestions.

To avoid it being suggested that others are trying to do something illicit if they run into issues, off the bottom of the screen, in the middle of the window, there is a button allowing you to play the demo. It might be useful for people to dig a little deeper instead of assuming the worst of everyone.
Hmm... interesting. When you were referencing not paying, i thought you meant back when it was browser based. I wonder if optifine works with the demo...

I just ran it on a laptop to see what I couldn't on my Pandora. The demo still works. Thanks for the suggestions.

To avoid it being suggested that others are trying to do something illicit if they run into issues, off the bottom of the screen, in the middle of the window, there is a button allowing you to play the demo. It might be useful for people to dig a little deeper instead of assuming the worst of everyone.
Hmm... interesting. When you were referencing not paying, i thought you meant back when it was browser based. I wonder if optifine works with the demo...
When I mentioned that I didn't pay it was in reference to the newest optimized version.  I don't care which version I use, but I was able to access that snapshot.  I still can't get it running on the Pandora, but if I manage to do so I may try to see what I can do with optifine.

When I mentioned that I didn't pay it was in reference to the newest optimized version. I don't care which version I use, but I was able to access that snapshot. I still can't get it running on the Pandora, but if I manage to do so I may try to see what I can do with optifine.
I know nothing about the demo version, but I will try to look at it for you when I am home. For now feel free to see if you can get optifine working in demo mode on your desktop and that would mean you should be able to get a nice speedy demo working on the Pandora as well so long as we can make the demo run.

Ok, so I got it running without optifine.  Just as I had given up waiting and tried to close the window it progressed past the Mojang screen.  I changed some settings to help with speed.  It seemed to be doing ok, but since I had already lost my patience I didn't spend long in the game.  I was quite impressed with the performance I was getting right from the beginning.  I can imagine this running fine on Pyra.

I will move over the .jar I intalled optifine on later and give it another shot.

It might be useful for people to dig a little deeper instead of assuming the worst of everyone.
1) I assure you, I can assume much worse than someone not having the means to pay for a game.2) Can you honestly blame someone for any assumptions made considering what was said? If you make an ambiguous statement that relies on specific knowledge it isn't their fault for misunderstanding, it is up to you to recognize that you made an ambiguous statement and correct the mistake. Which you did. Thank you.

It might be useful for people to dig a little deeper instead of assuming the worst of everyone.
1) I assure you, I can assume much worse than someone not having the means to pay for a game.
2) Can you honestly blame someone for any assumptions made considering what was said? If you make an ambiguous statement that relies on specific knowledge it isn't their fault for misunderstanding, it is up to you to recognize that you made an ambiguous statement and correct the mistake. Which you did. Thank you.
I could purchase the game if I wanted to play it.  I have played it in the past and was not impressed enough to purchase it.  It sure seems you were assuming much worse, or at the very least wanted to talk shit about someone.  Bravo on your manners.

I may not blame someone for being mistaken if they only read your post.  You read my posts, and since you like to make assumptions it should be pretty easy to assume that I was limiting myself to versions of the game that were free to play, based on what I actually said. I can blame you for being ignorant of free versions of the game and then being too lazy, or too poor of character, to inquire or check for yourself before making accusations.  Since you decided to take a portion of one of my statements out of context, which is a different problem altogether, it is pretty obvious that your response was malicious.  The only ambiguous statement I made was that I may have needed assistance, which could not be further clarified than the second sentence I gave, since I, in fact, did not know what I was doing.  Furthermore, I have stated several times that my interest in this is not for personal reasons.  If I were lying about that, then you may as well assume I am lying about everything.  Even if you didn't read those posts, why waste your time on me at all if you doubt my integrity?  Next time just report me.

Ok, so I got it running without optifine.  Just as I had given up waiting and tried to close the window it progressed past the Mojang screen.  I changed some settings to help with speed.  It seemed to be doing ok, but since I had already lost my patience I didn't spend long in the game.  I was quite impressed with the performance I was getting right from the beginning.  I can imagine this running fine on Pyra.

I will move over the .jar I intalled optifine on later and give it another shot.
Cool. I confirmed the Demo works just fine on the 1 GHz. Great to hear you got it to boot up. Let me know how it goes with Optifine.

Bravo on your manners
Ok, seriously, you need to calm down. I don't know what trail has lead you to be this venomous but I really need to figure out where I went wrong.No slight against you was intended, I'm sorry it came off that way. I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't afford the game, I only meant that that was an assumption that could very easily have been made based on what you said, and made a little joke that there are far worse things that someone could assume. And I stand by that, even if I did assume that you pirated the game, that is not the worst thing in the world, nor is it "talking shit". Honest, you need to step back a little bit and have some perspective, it's just a game.

You said that you hadn't actually paid for the game, and then you were asking for help. I said this made me uncomfortable. What assumptions did you make to get where we are now? I said nothing to do with integrity, no insult was intended.

Since you decided to take a portion of one of my statements out of context, which is a different problem altogether, it is pretty obvious that your response was malicious
No, they were most certainly within each other's context. You were talking about how you had never personally paid for the game, and then you were asking for help. They may have been in two different posts but they still combine to give an unfavourable impression.
Next time just report me
If I honestly believed you were up to no good I would have, but I didn't. I figured at worst you were piggybacking off of someone else's account, since you specifically used the word "personally". You could have easily cleared up the confusion without all this.
Look, I don't bloody care what you or anyone does outside the boards, I am entirely genuine when I say that it is not even in the same realm as "the worst" I can think of someone, but EvilDragon can get in a lot of trouble over discussions of piracy and even though it is extremely unlikely (especially with Minecraft) I still don't want him to have to take that chance, so I will step in and try to subtly guide the discussion away. And no, I won't do any digging. If it were something important then yes, I would. If I thought you were really into something dangerous I'd make damn sure I knew what I was talking about before forcing the issue. But it wasn't, it was only important enough to garner a subtle reminder about the rules of the forum, and try to suggest you may want to watch your wording.

Despite what you may think my posts were not in any way intended to be malicious. If I want to be malicious I will be blunt about it. There's a lot of examples on these forums of me being an asshole, but always directly: if it looks like I'm trying to be subtly insulting you're wrong, I don't have the patience for that. If I'm trying to insult you it'll be obvious.

Back