Beta [Beta] Minecraft launcher

Can't you just install Optifine on whatever version you want to use on the desktop, and just move the entire .minecraft folder onto the Pandora? Or does this not work anymore with the new launcher's profile system?

Can't you just install Optifine on whatever version you want to use on the desktop, and just move the entire .minecraft folder onto the Pandora? Or does this not work anymore with the new launcher's profile system?
It should works once you know where your profile is located.

It's the same launcher as the PC anyway, so what works on the PC should work the same way on the Pandora (just slower...)

You can create a symlink to the .minecraft folder from the minecraft pnd's appdata in the Java pnd's appdata home folder, and then run optifine.jar and install as per normal. Easiest way.

I just remembered something in another thread about client vs server VMs.

Try running java with the "-server" argument. I forget the details but I recall this improving performance on my laptop.

Just got it working tonight with optifine. Started a new single player world offline just to play around. Turning draw distance all the way down and turning on all the various speed hacks gives me speeds varying from 10-20 fps depending on what is going on on the screen. Holy mackerel!

You can create a symlink to the .minecraft folder from the minecraft pnd's appdata in the Java pnd's appdata home folder, and then run optifine.jar and install as per normal. Easiest way.
As it's a bit beyond my level of experience, can someone details how to do this exactly? (please)

Just got it working tonight with optifine. Started a new single player world offline just to play around. Turning draw distance all the way down and turning on all the various speed hacks gives me speeds varying from 10-20 fps depending on what is going on on the screen. Holy mackerel!
Wow, 10 to 20fps! That's faster than what I had on my own tests. Is it a guesstimation or a direct reading of the F3 screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is using F3, but I found using F3 actually gives an fps hit. So I was hitting F3 and looking at the values that were first showing up. After hitting F3 and leaving it on I get more standard 5-12 numbers.

It is using F3, but I found using F3 actually gives an fps hit. So I was hitting F3 and looking at the values that were first showing up. After hitting F3 and leaving it on I get more standard 5-12 numbers.
Yep F3 do hit the performances, I agree.

I will try the "server" parameter thing in the java start command, and then I think I'll push it to the repo...

As it's a bit beyond my level of experience, can someone details how to do this exactly? (please)
On the Pandora, run Minecraft at least once, and make sure it gets to the main menu. Then quit, and go to the appdata folder for Minecraft. Inside, there will be a folder called "home". Go into that folder, and select the ".minecraft" folder. Then click "Edit" at the top of the screen, and "Make Link". Copy that link, and then go to the appdata folder for Java, and paste it in there. Then rename it so it just says ".minecraft" instead of "Link to .minecraft"

Does anyone know how to turn one of the keyboard keys into a touchscreen right click modifier? I've gotten the game controls set up comfortably enough, but I think I prefer to use the touchscreen for inventory/crafting. If perhaps holding the w button could turn the touchscreen into a right click, that would really be appreciated.

Couldn't quite figure out that create and copy link instructions, kept copying the entire folder by mistake! Ended up unpacking the entire package instead and copying it into the .minecraft folder but I'm not sure if this is the right place or not. Regardless changing all the graphics settings in game to the lowest, I'm getting a framerate generally around 10fps depending on what's happening? If I have optifine installed properly I should get extra graphics options right?

Couldn't quite figure out that create and copy link instructions, kept copying the entire folder by mistake! Ended up unpacking the entire package instead and copying it into the .minecraft folder but I'm not sure if this is the right place or not. Regardless changing all the graphics settings in game to the lowest, I'm getting a framerate generally around 10fps depending on what's happening? If I have optifine installed properly I should get extra graphics options right?
Can someone else please explain this to him? I can't explain things. I did my best. It sounds like you're copying the .minecraft folder. Don't. Copy the link you make. You have to use Thunar's "Make Link" feature.

Apologies for not quite getting the instructions you have, maybe there's something wrong with my Pandora setup that it doesn't seem to create a link file for me to copy. Maybe I need to do a full reflash on my system. Thanks again for the help on this anyway:)

Can someone else please explain this to him? I can't explain things. I did my best. It sounds like you're copying the .minecraft folder. Don't. Copy the link you make. You have to use Thunar's "Make Link" feature.
Command line symlink might be easier. Honestly I couldn't get the jar to work and ended up doing everything manually as it is explained in the minecraft forum optifine thread, but I believe this is the command you want:

ln -s /media/INSERTYOURSDHERE/pandora/appdata/minecraft/home/.minecraft/ /media/INSERTYOURSDHERE/pandora/appdata/java/

That should create the symlink to .minecraft in your java appdata folder.

Oh~! fancy! how exactly is this working? Don't have my pandy on me, I left it at home before I went to Japan.

would it be realistic to run the PC version with mods on the pyra? :)

I should think so! It runs OK on the Pandora with Optifine, so on Pyra if you only have a few mods like IC2 or perhaps Thaumcraft or Mystcraft or something I think it'd run fine. Feed the Beast may be asking for a bit much, depending on the modpack.

Apologies for not quite getting the instructions you have, maybe there's something wrong with my Pandora setup that it doesn't seem to create a link file for me to copy. Maybe I need to do a full reflash on my system. Thanks again for the help on this anyway:)
Forget about symlink if your SDCard is formated in FAT32 (i.e. readable in a Windows computer). In that case, I suggest you install OptiFine by the 'add the jar content' that you can find on tutorial on the net.

Back