Best Custom OS for Pandora in Regards to Gaming?

No

ahh i see,you use my Image and i dont sayed you the Password,sorry.

simply type as Password for all:

pandora

Sorry to forget write you such important Thing ;)
Yeah, lol I figured it out like 5 seconds before you posted it. :D Anyways, how to I search for a package to install with GSlapt? I'm not sure what I'm looking at once I open GSlapt.

Puh i dont use Gslapt,because when i need a Lib ,build i it ;)

In the Moment Prepare i a IMZ Image whith the last Weeks Updated Slackware14-3 ;)

but should work so:

-Open Gslapt,

-press the Update Button with activated and connected Wlan

-chosse your Library or Software to install ^_^

Puh i dont use Gslapt,because when i need a Lib ,build i it ;)

In the Moment Prepare i a IMZ Image whith the last Weeks Updated Slackware14-3 ;)

but should work so:

-Open Gslapt,

-press the Update Button with activated and connected Wlan

-chosse your Library or Software to install ^_^
Do I need to add to the source list? I'm really new to Slackware, so I'm not sure what I'm even doing. I want to install quake 3 from here: http://slackbuilds.org/repository/13.37/games/ioquake3/

Do I add that to the list or something?

No need to add the source list, just do an update.

I'm not sure that compiling ioq3 will work. You should use the pnd instead.

All this for quake 3 ?

Maybe this can help you for Quake 3 ;)

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,65

quake3-pvw.png

Whoho wait.

It seem that you want to use Software compiled for X86.

That work not  on ARM and you must recompile the Sourcecode from this.
Isn't ioquake3 using OpenGL ? If so a simply recompile would not be enough ?

Whoho wait.

It would be enough, but I'm not sure EXACTLY what to change in the source code. There's a problem using console commands in both Q3 ports for Pandora, and I can't run custom mods without the use of console...

If there's an .sh in the .PND that starts quake3, and if it's just a matter of adding a command line parameter to the command that is executed in the .sh file, then all you'll have to do is to copy that .sh file to the quake3 appdata folder and edit it accordingly. When starting quake3 from the menu, it will then use the .sh file from your appdata folder. Or am I overlooking something? (Downside is that it will now always run the mod until you delete or change the .sh file, but at least you can see if it works at all ... and it's easier than anything else you're currently trying to do).

By the way: think of the terminal as DOS, and of an .sh file as a .bat file. It's really not that complicated.

Also this will help you to get started:

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

If there's an .sh in the .PND that starts quake3, and if it's just a matter of adding a command line parameter to the command that is executed in the .sh file, then all you'll have to do is to copy that .sh file to the quake3 appdata folder and edit it accordingly. When starting quake3 from the menu, it will then use the .sh file from your appdata folder. Or am I overlooking something? (Downside is that it will now always run the mod until you delete or change the .sh file, but at least you can see if it works at all ... and it's easier than anything else you're currently trying to do).

By the way: think of the terminal as DOS, and of an .sh file as a .bat file. It's really not that complicated.

Also this will help you to get started:

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
I appreciate the reply, However I believe the problem lays within the source to which Sebt3 or Pickel compiled.The tty console problem is a known linux issue. But I will give this a try. I also looked at the commands for linux, but am not sure how to start the linux sh file with. I do, however, know q3 console commands by heart. So, would it look something like this?

su

run quake3.pnd

+set fs_game openarena -devmap q3dm1

(The bolded part is a quake 3 cmdline parimeter)

I know that's not how it should look like for the sh file, but could you help me get started? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Linux-SWAT or ingoreis: Do I have to compile the source code to install it on Slackware? Or can I just install it from a pre-made package?

Wow instersting Question,i never Compiled Quake 3.

When i where you where my next Step to search a Beagleboard Quake 3 source ;)

Beagleboard is very near the Rebirth Pandora.

Same Omap 3530 Chipset.
;)

First thing to do is to check on the webpage if there are any commandline parameters that allow you to directly launch the port with a mod. This has nothing to do with the ingame-console, it's a matter of starting the port saying "quake3 -use thismod" instead of just starting it with "quake3".

If there is such a command line parameter, see if there is an .sh file to start the exectuable in the .PND, or if the executable is called directly. If in doubt, the PXML will tell you. You can eg. use foxblock's PNDTools to look at (and extract) the contents of the .PND and the PXML under Windows ... or check the pandorawiki for other methods. Also check the pandorawiki if you need to know more about .PNDs:

http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_PNDs

http://pandorawiki.org/Libpnd_hub#PXML.xml_and_.pnd_files

Let's say there is such an .sh file: just copy the .sh file from the .PND to the quake3 appdata folder, and edit it with a text-editor. There must be a line that starts the executable, so obviously any command line parameters should be added to that line. Save it, try to start quake3 from the menu and see what happens. (Get the files from the mod in the right place first of course). Since the appdata folder has priority over the contents of the .PND, it will use the new .sh file from the appdate folder. You can replace any file in the .PND like that, without touching the .PND itself, and undo the changes by deleting the files from the appdata folder again. Of course the folder structure has to be the same, so if for example the .sh is in a subfolder in the .PND, put it into the same subfolder in the appdata folder.

If nothing happens, the pndrun file may tell you what went wrong. Or it may just not work for whatever reason, but it should be less work to test than compiling quake3 from scratch on your Pandora under Slackware without knowing what you're doing ;)

I think this has been said before, but I'll say it again: This is quite unlikely to result in a usable Q3 engine, in particular if you're not more of a Linux head than you let on. It would probably be more fruitful to trawl the net to find out what the cause of the "well-known linux problem" is, find someone who has made a patch, find whoever it was that compiled ioquake3 for the pandora, and then convince that person to recompile with the patch. 

That is not to say that you should drop this line here - If this kind of troubleshooting is something you enjoy, then by all means go for it :D But I'm not convinced it'll end up easier than the above.

Whoho wait.

It would be enough, but I'm not sure EXACTLY what to change in the source code. There's a problem using console commands in both Q3 ports for Pandora, and I can't run custom mods without the use of console...
You need to convert the OpenGL code to OpenGL ES otherwise you will not be able to get anything usefull out of it.

Can I compile IOQuake 3 for Slackware on the Pandora? Or will there be an issue like ram? And if I can, what program would I need to use to compile it?

Better yet, can't I just install it like any other Win7 application? Thanks!

It's even easier than crappy windows things, you download it and put on your SD, as indicated previously.

I still say this is way too much work for what you want to do. You'd have been better off trying to figure out how to run a mod without the console than all this junk about building slack and quake. I'm almost entirely positive that it'll never work, even if you did know exactly what you were doing.

I still say this is way too much work for what you want to do. You'd have been better off trying to figure out how to run a mod without the console than all this junk about building slack and quake. I'm almost entirely positive that it'll never work, even if you did know exactly what you were doing.
It's virtually impossible to run mods without the use of console. Probably even from a Bat/sh file.

@Linux SWAT: Okay, I saw a slackbuild of IOQuake 3 already available. I placed it on my SD card, but nothing seems to work. I tried using GSlapt, and I see a bunch of files ready to be installed, but not IOQuake 3. I also tried adding it to the list of sources in GSlapt with Wifi enabled, but am still unsure what to do. I apologize, I'm really confused what to do. If you could mention what to do once it's on the SD card, I will be VERY appreciated. :D

Back