Best Custom OS for Pandora in Regards to Gaming?

Download the tar.bz2 file.

Format the SD to ext4.

Label=SLACK

Open a Terminal and make:

sudo tar jxvfp SL4P-[version]-[build].tar.bz2 -C /media/SLACK/ --numeric-owner

Replace [version] and [build] with the one your Slackware has (it's in the file name. Like SL4P-14-2.

Wait until the installation is over.

This will take some hours.

That's it.

No need for Windows and other computers.

Just do it all on the Pandora.

It's really easy.

1: Format and Label SD-card

2: Copy the command into a terminal

3: Wait until it's done.

K, I can do this. But did you want me to format first before I copy over the tar.bz2 file? I must be confused if not. I'm VERY new to Linux, so now you know xD

Honestly the Windows install if followed properly should just work.. 

but yeah this method Askarus points out you will need to format the SD card to ext4 before running that command. which you will need the gparted pnd and on the Pandora can take quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something's up with that 4.3 GB file. I had to pause and redownload a couple of times so maybe that has something to do with it. Also, to be clear: Did I need two SD cards, one for the tar.bz2 file and one that I need to format, because I can't copy it over and THEN format it, because the file won't be there :/

Or did I miss something? Thanks for constantly helping me and not going crazy in the process xD

It could be a corrupted download..

yeah you would need two. that command extracts the contents onto the other card of your choosing.. and the 1.6GB file can't fit on the 512MB NAND the default OS is on.

The card needs to be formatted with ext2, not ext4, for the Linux method.

Yeah I was confused on the ext2 format thing too. Anyways, I got an error when I Tried to "apply all operations" I followed all instructions, but still...

I looked at the details, and this is what it says: Create Primary Partition #1 on /dev/mmcblk1 (This went wrong, due to the - sign)

Create new ext2 file system. (Not sure why, but it did)

I think I should mention before I formatted and unmounted the card, I formatted the card on my PC. Will that cause this error?

I'm starting to get this, just  a bit stuck is all. :D

My bad about the EXT4, I was just going by what Askarus said to use..

Sorry for the bump, but do I need to even format it as ext2? Because it keeps giving me an error... How can I fix this? I posted the error in my previous posts. Thanks!

I'm not sure without more info.. try deleting the current partition on the SD card before you formatted it?

I'm not sure without more info.. try deleting the current partition on the SD card before you formatted it?
I'm really getting confused... I tried doing a format of ext2, that didn't work... I tried ignoring it and moving to the next step, it said it couldn't find the tar.bz2 flle (in terminal) and now, I need to delete partition? This is much more work than I thought it would have been. Has anyone else had an error while trying to format it as ext2? Because that's where I'm stuck. I need to know how to get passed that in order to move on. It just says it couldn't create the ext2 filesystem Is this a normal error? Is it an SD card error? Or what? Please, be specific. Thanks!

I've had no issues formatting anything to ext2 and I'm sure it needs to be formatted to it.

are you sure the path your providing in the command is pointing to where you put the .bz2 file you downloaded? 

It's most likely not an SD card issue..

I've had no issues formatting anything to ext2 and I'm sure it needs to be formatted to it.

are you sure the path your providing in the command is pointing to where you put the .bz2 file you downloaded? 

It's most likely not an SD card issue..
I actually had to type the command in terminal, and yes, I'm sure I typed it in right. If I wipe the partition, will that make any difference?

Maybe?

Worth a try.. worst that happens is you would need to format it again.

Alright, so after I wiped the partition from the drive, I was able to format it as ext2! (Horray) However, now I'm still having problems with trying to make the code in terminal work. I realize the SLACK drive does NOT contain the tar.bz2 file, nor will it let me paste it onto the drive... So, I ask: What could I be doing wrong? I do need the file to be on the SLACK drive, right?

Why say no one the simplest and fastet OS for Gamer?

The good old:

MiniMenu ;)

No this command uncompresses the bz2 file to the SD card.. It's shouldn't be on the card your doing that to.

Are you running this command exactly? the flags like jxvfp and -C need to be capitalized as shown.

Code:
sudo tar jxvfp THE_SLACKWARE_BZ2_FILE.bz2 -C THE_SDCARD_PATH_YOU_WANT_TO_PUT_SLACKWARE_ON --numeric-owner
Once this is running it will take a long while give it time and wait even after it claims to be done.

No this command uncompresses the bz2 file to the SD card.. It's shouldn't be on the card your doing that to.

Are you running this command exactly? the flags like jxvfp and -C need to be capitalized as shown.

sudo tar jxvfp THE_SLACKWARE_BZ2_FILE.bz2 -C THE_SDCARD_PATH_YOU_WANT_TO_PUT_SLACKWARE_ON --numeric-owner

Once this is running it will take a long while give it time and wait even after it claims to be done.
Yup, i capitilized everything I was supposed to. I have my 8GB card with the ext2 format. I followed all the instructions, but still getting that error. Just to be clear, the version and build number are like this: 14.0-6 right? I typed it in EXACTLY as shown. Do I have the file in the right place? (The root of the 16GB card, the one that's NOT formatted in ext2) There's gotta be something right under my nose. Should I have mentioned the 16GB card has a LOCKED symbol on it in GParted?

The location of the file doesn't matter as long as you are pointing to it exactly in the command.

Back