booting other (bt) arm os from pandora

nik

Hi, I've looked at instructions on how to run backtrack linux from pandora here:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/10830-backtrack-linux/

and here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1006083&postcount=83

Both seem to promote the vnc route and maybe this is a stupid question, but why can I not just boot into it directly? For example something like what is described here:

http://pandorawiki.org/Running_Linux_from_an_SD_card#References

EDIT: or here: http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware

Is this practical or perhaps even do-able? Is there a guide I haven't come across somewhere? Or is vnc route really the best way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. Thanks for that... Will definitely check. 

Almost all tools? What about wifi driver for aircrack?

Just to clarify, kernel + fstab adjustment, I need to do that for Slackware then install Kali apps on it? Or I can download Kali ARM? Any idea which one to get, there are like 4

samsung chromebook arm, raspberry, odroid, rk3306/ss808

P.S.

To answer my own question above unzip BT5 and read README file and that will tell you why it's run via vnc... Maybe I should have done that before posting! :)

EDIT: rk3306/ss808

I don't know if the internal wifi chipset supports monitor/injection. There are plenty of usb dongles that can do that.

When you want to port an ARM distro on the Pandora, you usually have to take Pandora's kernel, and make a few adjustments around.

Slackware is already working, you just have to use the internal tools to install hack software, no need to grab things from Kali.

If you want to port Kali, try the armel official image.

I've been trying to figure this out and looked at all sorts of articles but to no awail, so maybe someone can help me out.

I've got armel image file, which I've copied to an ext3 partition on my SD card. Image is 5gigs unzipped, partition is 7gig. I want to mount it.

From what I understand I can use dd to... umm do *something*...

dd if=/media/BT of=/dev/sda

but i cannot do that... can i? I cannot of=/dev directly to pandora... so do i need 2 places? do i put image elsewhere, in data and of=/media/BT

Afterwords I would, what? VNC into *that* ? Can someone help me I'm lost... :(

Am I missing some kind of magical step here?

Alright, so i

dd if/kali.img of=/dev/sdcwhatevs bs=512k like in that article, so i have that on my partition, but now what do i do?

Do I need autoboot.txt? Something like:

setenv bootargs 'ubi.mtd=4 ubi.mtd=3 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw rootflags=bulk_read vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K mmc_core.removable=0 init=/bin/bash'; ubi part boot && ubifsmount boot && ubifsload ${loadaddr} uImage && bootm ${loadaddr}

I don't know to write that. I tried from desktop

mount -t ext3 /device /media/kali

(the plan was later to connect via VNC)

but all I got was wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock error...

mount -o bind doesn't work either.

So... Stuck again... :unsure:

If a mount without option doesn't mount, Gparted will probably tell you the partition type.

gparted says filesystem unkown and has a ! in a red circle beside that partition

maybe i did smth wrong /w dd ?

dd if=kali.img of=/dev/mysdpartitiononsdcwhatevr bs=512k

is it block size? it used to be ext3...

Is that not what they say to do in article?

dd if=kali-pi.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512k

"Use the dd utility to image this file to your SD card. In our example, we assume the storage device is located at /dev/sdb. Change this as needed."

EDIT: I reformatted partition as ext3 and now writing to /dev/sdpartition/kali

See what happens I guess.

does it have to a whole card? i cannot put it on 1 partition? I have 60gb card, 3 partitions

sdc1 ~ 50 G fat32

sdc2 ~ 1 G swap

sdc3 ~ 7.5 G ext3

I did what they said but /w sdc3 i got all the errors above, now sdc3 has "kali" file on it, output of dd

I don't know how works kali.

As it's .img, it's possible that it creates a partition.

Back