Best Custom OS for Pandora in Regards to Gaming?

jastolze

Hey, I was looking at http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects and I noticed that quite a few OS have been ported. This is where my question comes into place:

1. What's the most solid OS available for Pandora (besides Android)

2. Can that engine run a Quake 3 port? (I see Debian has a port, but am not too sure how to install/run it) And yes, I am aware of the port of Q3 for Pandora. I just wanted to try a different one.

3. Will that engine need a second SD card, like Android?

4. Will that engine boot every time I restart/shut down the Pandora? Or did I need to do something in the Pandora OS to do so?

Thanks for any help!

-jastolze

I take it by Engine you mean OS on most of these questions.. And wow is that one outdated wikipage page you linked.

1 - Slackware

2 - Not sure, most likely yes?

3 - No, you can have everything on one card.

4 - Slackware will boot automatically if it's in the SD slot.

Edit: updated slackware link to official wiki page

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I'll look into slackware. Have you personally used it? Thanks again!

I have and I like it, but I still use the main OS more since I tend to need both SD card slots quite a bit.

Hey I'm downloading the os now (the roofs) but I was confused on a part in tutorial.

1. Do I NEED Gparted if I'm doing this from windows?

2. It says I need an 8G sd card, I assume that means 1GB, right? Or did it actually mean 8GB?

(I'll have more questions in a bit, so please bear with me)

Yeah Gparted is a Linux program.. I assume it may need that enitre 8GB because of size of it when uncompressed.. even though it's only 1.2GB download.

I've also have no experience on installing this via windows and all the instructions are how to do it in Linux. I haven't used windows in sometime so I'm not sure how it's done.. I know it can be though.

Hey I actually went ahead and read the windows tutorial instead, and it looks MUCH less confusing. But it says it's only been tested on a 16gb card. Do you think I need my 16GB card (currently being used for something else) or can I use the 8GB card (not being used)

Thanks!

P,S: The .imz file I'm downloading is ~4.3 GB. I assume this is normal, right?

yeah I believe you can totally ignore what I shared... but looks like It may need a 16GB card.

Hey I'm downloading the os now (the roofs) but I was confused on a part in tutorial.

1. Do I NEED Gparted if I'm doing this from windows?

2. It says I need an 8G sd card, I assume that means 1GB, right? Or did it actually mean 8GB?

(I'll have more questions in a bit, so please bear with me)
you're talking about Slackware, right?

I installed via Pandora, as GParted is a PND.

If you want to create some partitions with Windows that's the best free tool I know.

It's as good as GParted (or better).

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Give the 8GB SD card a try, the worst thing that happens is you have to format the SD card.. . it does mention 16GB quite a bit in that windows tutorial..

I'm looking forward to installing SL4P + Soleil in about a month's time. I'm going to use one of my 32gb cards for it... Which is a great excuse to buy a 64gb card and upgrade my storage... both my 32gb cards are full to the brim. :)

You can use the GParted .pnd on the official OS to format a 8G or more SD card, and uncompress the image on the card from within the Pandora, which will take time.

You can also use a GParted live CD to safely boot a PC, format the card, and uncompress the image.

The imz provided by Ingoreis is intended for an installation within windows on a 16G card.

BTW, here's a non-exhaustive, not-much maintained compatibility list:

http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects/OS/Slackware/PND-compatibility-list

Wait, so I just used that USB Image Tool to I believe extract the 4.3 GB IMZ file, and I put the SD card in my Pandora and am unsure what to do next. It says that was all I was supposed to do. (I have a feeling there's more)

(This is for the windows tutorial)

The .imz image should be used with another tool.

Ingoreis, are you here ?

Back