Action button labels

Also, another thing about using Greek symbols is that the next name might not even be Greek. It could be name after any mythology.
Greek letters are hugely used in science, it's a nod to Pyra community which are close to science. Also Geek letters are an alphabet, not the emblem of Greece.

That would be: Latin letters on the keyboard, Arabic numbers on the top of the keyboard, Greek letters for the 6 action buttons.

@Kiga, do you have anything new to contribute? stop posting the same damn thing every time someone has an argument against the Greek letters. 
I know that you want. So funny, I like the way anti-Greeks says that I repeat same things while they do it at least as often as me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that you want So funny, I like the way anti-Greeks always says that I repeat same things while they do it at least as often as me.
No, the difference is that most people are making legitimate posts about reasons why they don't like the Greek lettering. Unlike_wb_ who has made intelligent arguments for the Greek lettering, you just make childish pictures and harass anyone who disagrees with you. I find this as poor forum behavio(u)r.

I get. But I don't harass anyone, I just respond with logic arguments occasionally,  like the last post or the former. But I get the fact some people oddly says that I repeat, it's because my arguments are so heavy that they are loud, and as anti-Greeks can't respond anything but can't accept it, it's a paradox which stay engraved in their memory, so when I repeat it once again it seems that they read it everytime.

And sorry for the image but it explain my thoughts much more accurately than I can do it with words.

Greek letters are hugely used in science, it's a nod to Pyra community which are close to science.
That's even a looser connection. Latin is too. We might as well use simple math symbols.

That's even a looser connection. Latin is too. We might as well use simple math symbols.
Latin isn't speciflic to science and math symbols aren't  letters, letters are usually used to designate something like latin letters as button label for console which haven't a keyboard which already use them.

Numbers are more applicable to science than anything, so perhaps it's an argument in favour of numbering the keys. Although at least the standard abbreviations and symbols for units in science are written in latin script.

Numbers are more applicable to science than anything, so perhaps it's an argument in favour of numbering the keys. Although at least the standard abbreviations and symbols for units in science are written in latin script.
Numbers are already used and aren't specific to science.

Greek letters are known to be used in science worldwide. Latin letters and numbers are used everywhere for anything.

math symbols aren't  letters, letters are usually used to designate something like latin letters as button label for console which haven't a keyboard which already use them.
 the thread are about labels.
Damn, you want to use math symbols? Allright I support you, I prefer +,-,x,÷,=,.....Π? than latin letters since they aren't used.

But none of latin type, greek type or arabic numerals are specific to anything. Greek was specific to greek literature, until those pesky physicists and mathematicians started coopting them. Latin type has been appropriated by various languages, principly European. I suppose numbers are the least overridden things, since they're always used in the counting or numbering context.

I don't see the argument that one thing is more specific than anything else has any relevance to the debate anyway. The only argument for Greek lettering that applies in my opinion is that it ties up with the Pyra/Pyrrha theme and gets geek cred points (either because it's associated with maths and physics, or because it's associated with the classics), and that's why I'm in favour of them, but I don't expect those arguments to work for everyone no matter how many times and in how many variations you express them, so if the polls lean one way or the other I'm happy to go with the flow.

Edit: If you're seriously looking for a sixth unique mathematical symbol, how about the radix/radical symbol (aka the square root symbol). Though I suppose +, - and = are symbols also on the keyboard, and the multiplication symbol looks quite a lot like an x, we actually need five more symbols.

Damn, you want to use math symbols? Allright I support you, I prefer +,-,x,÷,=,.....Π? than latin letters since they aren't used.
Meaning that it doesn't matter if they are letters or symbols. Most people outside of Greek would refer to the Greek alphabet as symbols anyway.
And no, just saying that Greek for mythology may change for the next Pandora and Math isn't just Greek specific. You already know my

stance.

And no, just saying that Greek for mythology may change for the next Pandora and Math isn't just Greek specific. You already know my

stance.
Math isn't Greek specific, so what?

But none of latin type, greek type or arabic numerals are specific to anything. Greek was specific to greek literature, until those pesky physicists and mathematicians started coopting them. Latin type has been appropriated by various languages, principly European. I suppose numbers are the least overridden things, since they're always used in the counting or numbering context.
Greek letters are in countries -which don't use them- culture specific to science, you can't deny it. Since they are used for specific things in science according to a world convention.

I don't expect those arguments to work for everyone no matter how many times and in how many variations you express them, so if the polls lean one way or the other I'm happy to go with the flow.
I ain't trying to convince someone now, I'm just trying to show the truth by responding with logic arguments. And I'm looking for prototype, maybe you will change your mind when you will see the secondary keyboard on the top right.

Lower-case pi, upper case sigma, alpha, beta, gamma, delta, lambda and omega are associated with maths and physics, but the other symbols being used here don't say maths to me, they say Greek classics. Which I'm fine with, by the way, but I can still deny that characters like psi and phi have anything to do with science that I know of.

Lower-case pi, upper case sigma, alpha, beta, gamma, delta, lambda and omega are associated with maths and physics, but the other symbols being used here don't say maths to me, they say Greek classics. Which I'm fine with, by the way, but I can still deny that characters like psi and phi have anything to do with science that I know of.
You've clearly never taken a quantum mechanics class.

Of course, you'd have to be a fairly big nutcase to take one if those for fun.

Here are some ways in which I know some other Greek letters:

Phi and psi are used all the time in formal logic to denote arbitrary formulae.

At least at my university, Phi is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "philosophy" and psi is used as an abbreviation for "psychology".

Phi is used in mathematics for Euler's phi function and the golden ratio. 

Upper-case pi is used for products (like upper case sigma for sums).

Chi, or rather chi-squared, occurs all the time in statistics.

I just respond with logic arguments occasionally,  like the last post or the former.
hahaha.gif
hahaha.gif
hahaha.gif
(Gif is from the German board. I really miss it here)

You guys still get trolled by Kiga?

If he is not the dummy of the century, even if he never visited the chatroom he will have noticed, that ED does not want greek letters.

He is filling some pages now with this trolling, just don't feed.

You guys still get trolled by Kiga?

If he is not the dummy of the century, even if he never visited the chatroom he will have noticed, that ED does not want greek letters.

He is filling some pages now with this trolling, just don't feed.
In his world ED wants greek letters - he just doesn't know yet, because ED didn't read all action buttonthreads. ;)

Well, you never know until you tried, maybe you're favourite dish is human steak with french fries in strawberry syrup

and you just don't know it yet, but I know you better. :p

Back