Action button labels: poll 2 bis

Which proposal do you like best?

• Total voters

hZfd0oC.png
QFT

I would be interested in knowing how many people have actually confused the game buttons with the keyboard keys.  I have not ever mixed the two so I didn't see a reason to change the labels but maybe there actually is a lot of people who have confused them.

I know, you really like your idea, but the majority is against greek letters just like ED.

So what are we still discussing?

Why are we still discussing?
Where did ED said that he is against?
#openpandora in FreeNode
Nobody forces you to discuss, there are ton of different topics here.
Indeed. But you all invest very much time in this and I don't want you to waste it.In the time _wb_ invested in the greek layout he surely could have written a new awesome game. ;)

I would be interested in knowing how many people have actually confused the game buttons with the keyboard keys.  I have not ever mixed the two so I didn't see a reason to change the labels but maybe there actually is a lot of people who have confused them.
I don't think so. Some ports may be a bit dirty, so that "a" may refer to WASD on the keyboard. But except for this example (which is in fact theoretical, never had this problem) I didn't had such a problem. Bigger problem, which I have often, is, that "Enter" is used for selection in menus instead of a button. So maybe mapping a button to Enter would maybe make sense. Or maybe not. I think the button mapping is the wrong place to discuss here. :)

Sega, like Nintendo, picked foreign letters and that's not a problem. That's it.
The Latin alphabet is known as Romanji in Japanese, and I'd wager they're far more used to seeing the characters everyday than I am likely to see greek text. I don't think you can use that argument to argue for Greek on the Pyra.

Reactions: Ziz
Where did ED said that he is against?
#openpandora in FreeNode
Witnesses?

Indeed. But you all invest very much time in this and I don't want you to waste it.
In the time _wb_ invested in the greek layout he surely could have written a new awesome game. ;)
Why are you saying that? Nobody care. The fact is a topic is made to discuss about a... topic and there are several topic for different topic, so don't say "why are we discussing" just chose another topic... pure logic

I would be intersted in knowing how many time people have to name games buttons.

Also to it's not a matter of confusion but logic. A button are made to differentiate buttons and I'm not a dumb sheep who follow habits over logic.

The Latin alphabet is known as Romanji in Japanese, and I'd wager they're far more used to seeing the characters everyday than I am likely to see greek text. I don't think you can use that argument to argue for Greek on the Pyra.
I ain't agree. Japanese characters are used everywhere in Japan, especially when olds consoles was released

Last edited by a moderator:
Greek character guys:

We don't like the poll results - so we'll run another poll with different rules - then discourage anyone who doesn't like our options from voting - then change the rules and run another poll - then since we still don't like the result we'll do a 'compromise' where we map our favorite version BIG in the MIDDLE of the key then give the 'OTHER' more popular method a little superscript nod...

WTF? Greek guys - you lost. Live with it. Standard Pandora maps + CZ for the win. Done. Quit trying to move the goals, discourage dissent, change the rules and invent 'compromises' where your version 'happens' to be the primary label.

Cheat much?

Sheesh.

You may be right - I've never been to Japan, so I wouldn't know. But of the old consoles, only the NES used the Latin alphabet as far as I can see. Master System used Arabic numerals, and IIRC the PCEngine used I and II. The 16-bit generation seems to standardise on A/B/X/Y.

I know, you really like your idea, but the majority is against greek letters just like ED.

So what are we still discussing?

Why are we still discussing?
Why do you think the majority is against Greek letters? There are currently 29 who prefer Latin over Greek and 23 who prefer Greek over Latin, so I suppose those 23 are not against Greek. What makes you think that out of those 29, at least 26 are actually against Greek in the sense that they wouldn't even want a compromise layout that has both Latin and Greek?

ED did not participate in this poll and I didn't notice him saying anything about it on IRC either. Do you have a quote you could share with us?

Indeed. But you all invest very much time in this and I don't want you to waste it.
In the time _wb_ invested in the greek layout he surely could have written a new awesome game. ;)
Don't worry. I don't always feel like coding. It's not because I'm wasting time on silly forum topics that I would otherwise do more productive stuff.

Greek character guys:

We don't like the poll results - so we'll run another poll with different rules - then discourage anyone who doesn't like our options from voting - then change the rules and run another poll - then since we still don't like the result we'll do a 'compromise' where we map our favorite version BIG in the MIDDLE of the key then give the 'OTHER' more popular method a little superscript nod...

WTF? Greek guys - you lost. Live with it. Standard Pandora maps + CZ for the win. Done. Quit trying to move the goals, discourage dissent, change the rules and invent 'compromises' where your version 'happens' to be the primary label.
Lol! Are you serious?!

Greeks letters won in others poll, some people whines so this poll was made.This poll is 100% fair what's your problem seriously?

A LOT of people want Greeks letters even if the majority want to stay with their pandy's layout, and you have to do with that. EvilDragon will chose.

Witnesses?
Exist.

However, so you are telling me, I am a liar?
I do not trust someone who want to stop a topic because people aren't agree with him.

Code:
[16:54:45 | 2014-03-12] < Ziz> EvilDragon: Would you really print greek letters on the symbols if a community poll would have a majority? ^^
[16:59:05 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> Ziz, Nope - did I ever say that?
[17:00:15 | 2014-03-12] < Ziz> No, but they are polls and stuff in the board... So I just wondered, whether they even make sense. Obviously not.
[17:00:52 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes sense changing the Pandora button layout anyways.
[17:01:12 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> Whatever layout we choose, it will ALWAYS be different than some console you know.
[17:01:33 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> And if we change the layout, all Pandora homebrew games that tell you what button to press would be wrong as well.
[17:01:44 | 2014-03-12] < Ziz> They were loooong discussions about this, EvilDragon. With Pros and Cons and much ignoring of arguments. 
[17:01:45 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> So it wouldn't add anything but more work for developers.
[17:01:56 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> Yeah, didn't follow them at all 
[17:02:02 | 2014-03-12] < Ziz> Keeping the old system + 2 extra buttons has a lot of votes.
[17:02:16 | 2014-03-12] < EvilDragon> Thats my favourite as well

If I may add a thought in a slightly greenish tone: Let people speak for themselves. If ED feels strongly enough about the viability of this or that option in this or that poll, I'm certain that he is capable of writing a comment himself. If you want to argue the merits of this or that squiggle on the buttons, sure do. If this is going to derail into "Well, I heard that you said that ED said that he thought that...", I'm going to bring out the heavier green. Keep to the topic at least somewhat, but in particular, let people speak for themselves.

(And now there is an IRC log, which does not quite say what has been posted above. Reinforces my point: If ED wants to say something in an official voice, I'm sure he will want to read through the discussions first. Posting "ED does not want it!" on the strength of an IRC quote where ED says, more or less, "I haven't considered the options, but this is my favourite" is rather dubious)

Secondly: This is a forum thread. Anybody who is at least commonly civil and a member on this board may continue the thread if they want. It is not for anybody to tell anybody else to stop arguing their point as long as everybody is civil (or at least until ED says his thing or things are well overdue and we mods step in and interrupt things).

Witnesses?
Exist.
 I do not trust someone who want to stop a topic because people aren't agree with him.
A witness posted a chat log.Waiting for your apology.

However you tried to stop me stopping this senseless discussion, too. Just because you do not agree, that this discussion is senseless. How mean! ;)

I'm not surprised since after what I saw he isn't someone who will embark on new things spontaneously (I refer about logos he chose). He said himself that Pandora wouldn't exist if there wasn't his companion.

Moreover he didn't follow these discussions so this don't mean nothing.

Witnesses?
Exist.

A witness posted a chat log.
Waiting for your apology.
That chat log does not quite say what you said. Apart from the rudeness of going around trying to commandeering others to either shut up or apologize or otherwise behave the way you want. Now calm down.

However you tried to stop me stopping this senseless discussion, too. Just because you do not agree, that this discussion is senseless. How mean! ;)
You most certainly have no business in deciding who is and isn't allowed to keep up the discussion. Stop being silly, already.

EDIT: And if this was about the discussions having to be sensible or not, we'd have had to shut all these silly threads down long ago. It must be quite obvious that "being sensible" is not a requirement for our threads.

Thanks Moxie.

A witness posted a chat log.
Waiting for your apology.

Apology? Where did I insult you? Also if ED hadn't already read these discussions this is one more reason to conitnue.

Back