Action button labels

No i want 6. Don't change it. Ed said it's possible so Saber please don't keep on saying it's not posible
Sorry Shenmue(and Klumpen), it is possible. ED will find a way to make it work. :)

No. ED didn't say he'll find a way to make it work.

ED said they're investigating potential ways to make it work.

We might get 6 buttons, or we might get 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping the ABXY labels but in a different order as on the Pandora is a bad idea.
 The more you insist that this is a bad idea, the more I will insist that it's not any different than learning buttons in emulators.

Why the hell want you to talk to me, are you some kind of fan? ED never said he chose 6000 because otherwise can't be done so why don't you **** and ask him to precise? I guess it's because your ego is sick, it's not suprising for someone who named himself "God" and precise at the end of each post that what he said is God's word. You want to feed that sick ego no matter what you say, that's why I am the only one who seeks truth, and that's why I'm not going to argument anymore.

Enough off-topic.
 And yet here you are arguing. First of all, EvilDragon never said that he can do an 8000 battery either. And there's no reason for EvilDragon not to choose one with a higher capacity if it doesn't change the form factor of the device. Because of that, it's highly likely that it can't be done.

And second, your accusations about my ego are getting uglier and uglier. God Ginrai is a character from Transformers: Masterforce. He's the combined form of Super Ginrai and God Bomber. Maybe if you actually did some research for once, you wouldn't have made a mistake like that.

The strangeness continues. First of all, I did read the entire thread and even if absurdity was multiplied over a hundred more pages, it would still remain absurd. Your last post in that topic was post 243, which was the Neo Geo layout. Right before it you said we could add a "tilt" to the buttons without shrinking them in size to fit on the Pyra case(which you also said earlier in the thread did not need to be extended horizontally). Sorry, but the solution is not physically possible in reality no matter how much wishing is done.
 Alright, maybe you did read the thread, but you certainly didn't read it close enough. I suggested tilting the layout so that the cross pattern had the horizontal line of the cross parallel with the bottom of the device because the Cross faction was antsy even that their cross was not at the right angle. The tilt had absolutely nothing to do with solving the space problem.

For reference, here is the post by WizardStan that led me to suggesting the tilt:

The only difference is that the Neogeo controller layout is tilted slightly
Yes, that tilt is the killer on my thumb. That's why I want the two sides to be evened out, made parallel to the "bottom".
As for my proposed layout, as someone who plays fighters often, I had no difficulty moving my thumb to the left and right of the "Y" button. It felt very natural without any exaggeration or strain to my thumb. I didn't need to follow this supposedly natural path of my thumb as we see on other 6 button controllers.
 Maybe you have an abnormally long thumb?

Ö and Ä. They come after X and Y, but not immediately. Like X and Y come after A and B.
That does make me think a little, why not two letters in the middle?AB-NO-XY in whatever configuration.

AB -> home/end

XY -> pgup/pgdn

NO -> insert/delete

Actually feels kinda comfortable, thinking about it. N... insert. O... delete.
Why N and O specifically?

-God Ginrai

'cause they're in the middle. M and N is more middle but are also more likely to be confused, and 'O' has a certain "this is a button" feel to it. Maybe O and P? Just something around that general area of the alphabet maybe. I'm not seriously pushing for it, just throwing out suggestions.

O and P (and Q and W) are a bad idea for action button labels imo, because those keyboard keys are sometimes used in Pandora games and emulators when extra buttons are needed.

'cause they're in the middle. M and N is more middle but are also more likely to be confused, and 'O' has a certain "this is a button" feel to it. Maybe O and P? Just something around that general area of the alphabet maybe. I'm not seriously pushing for it, just throwing out suggestions.
Ahh, I see what you mean.

-God Ginrai

O and P (and Q and W) are a bad idea for action button labels imo, because those keyboard keys are sometimes used in Pandora games and emulators when extra buttons are needed.
Too true. Scratch that idea.

Maybe I've been looking at my own proposal for too long, but purely aesthetically speaking, according to my tastes,

Δ
Π   Ω
   Χ

(perhaps with a Chi that can be distinguished from a Latin X) looks better/cleaner than

Y
A     B
    X

I like the basic shape of those Greek letters; they're more like simple geometric figures than like actual letters. They somehow feel very appropriate for game buttons.

Reactions: moz
I disagree. I believe that's simply a matter of the font you're viewing each in.

You talk about Geometric Shapes being appropriate for game buttons. But honestly, I never did like the fact that the Playstation used shapes. I'm used to it now, sure. But still not sold on it.

Also, if you were to choose based off of aesthetics, then we should just use some hiragana. The flow of those characters is much more aesthetically pleasing than that of Latin or Greek characters.

-God Ginrai

I disagree. I believe that's simply a matter of the font you're viewing each in.

You talk about Geometric Shapes being appropriate for game buttons. But honestly, I never did like the fact that the Playstation used shapes. I'm used to it now, sure. But still not sold on it.

Also, if you were to choose based off of aesthetics, then we should just use some hiragana. The flow of those characters is much more aesthetically pleasing than that of Latin or Greek characters.

-God Ginrai
Show us your hiragana proposal please!

I agree with _wb_ that these are pretty nice shapes. After staring at the hiragana chart for some time, my western eyes/brain can't find a fitting set. which 4 would you choose?

The more I see those Greek letters, the more I think how ridiculous this all is.

Maybe I've been looking at my own proposal for too long, but purely aesthetically speaking, according to my tastes,

Δ

Π   Ω

Χ

(perhaps with a Chi that can be distinguished from a Latin X) looks better/cleaner than

Y

A     B

X

I like the basic shape of those Greek letters; they're more like simple geometric figures than like actual letters. They somehow feel very appropriate for game buttons.
I agree,  and Latin letters looks so commonplace that they looks vulgar.

I like that font: http://howmanyarethere.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/greek-alphabet-image-v5-resize1.jpg

Nobody giving my old suggestion time of day again, but I'm going to put it here anyway :p

γ
α    β
   χ

I'd like a more stylized gamma and chi though, more distinct from the Latin Y and X. For the other two letters I'm okay with whatever, probably two of the more common and identifiable letters would be preferable, like delta and pi.

I like this because it lets you refer to them by the Pandora names without it being confusing what you're talking about (and good for Pandora compatibility), but also lets you use distinct characters that are easily identifiable as separate from the keyboard. Having both random Greek symbols along with the original Latin letters works but it feels cramped and clashing to me.

The claim about it being confusing if someone tells you to press a button in an emulated game seems really odd to me. I'd find it very unnatural to think they're talking about the native machine's button instead of the emulated one, especially since most emulators allow you to remap controls.

As for my proposed layout, as someone who plays fighters often, I had no difficulty moving my thumb to the left and right of the "Y" button. It felt very natural without any exaggeration or strain to my thumb. I didn't need to follow this supposedly natural path of my thumb as we see on other 6 button controllers.

Maybe you have an abnormally long thumb?

-God Ginrai
No, I don't have talon thumbs or huge manly hands. :lol:

It doesn't matter though on who thinks they have the answer as we all have the same goal in mind. We'll see if we can be heard.

Which is why I came up with this:

SH4OV5u.png

1. Face buttons x, y, z, and c are all smaller than normal size A and B here, which are both at the same degree and postition as they are on the Pandora(even if the pic doesn't seem to show this).

2. Button x is a half step(meaning a measurement equal to half a regular size Pandora face button) up from A vertically and a half step(roughly) to the left of where A is on the Pandora.

3. Button y and z are each centered on the same locale of where A and Y on the Pandora are usually give or take needed mm distance between them.

4. Button c is a half step up from where the Y button is found on the Pandora and also a half step to the left above where button B is on the Pandora.

Here's a pic of the Pandora for deciphering what I've explained above. Hope it makes some sort of sense. :mellow:

Show us your hiragana proposal please!
 Alright, I'll take a look at it tonight.

I agree with _wb_ that these are pretty nice shapes. After staring at the hiragana chart for some time, my western eyes/brain can't find a fitting set. which 4 would you choose?
It wouldn't be 4, it would be 6.

Also, Exophase: For what it's worth, I think your Greek suggestion makes more sense than the other ones... I still don't like using Greek, tho'.

EDIT: Saber, can't you just use CODE tags so that we can easily modify your suggestions to show you how ours fit?

-God Ginrai

I have no idea how to use code tags. Sorry.

How would you modify it on your own?

The more I see those Greek letters, the more I think how ridiculous this all is.
Consider this meta-discussion. In this post I'm not saying what you wrote now or in the other cases is right or wrong in my opinion.
Please always back up assertions like this with a rationale. I've seen you doing comments like this on many threads and many times found myself wondering why you said what you did. It would be easier to agree or disagree with you if you added some basis on which your opinion lies upon. Just adding judgemental commentary without a rationale is not a constructive line of conversation and only causes further polarization and frustration. Try following your comments with a "because" or "since" in your head and find the root cause for your opinion. Then post enough so people understand why you feel as you do.

Thank you, have fun and please take this as the constructive criticism it's meant to be and not condescending nagging like it may sound to some :)

I have no idea how to use code tags. Sorry.

How would you modify it on your own?
If you quote this post, you'll see an example. Since your image is just an image of ASCII text, you can just lay out the ASCII text in code tags. When I quote you, I would be able to copy your code tags to have something to modify.

Example:

Code:
    Z
  Y   C
X   B
  A
-God Ginrai

Back