Where are we now?

Preview
I've been following the Pandora console and then the Pyra console for many years as they were something that really interested me. The Pandora was a complete disaster and I was hoping that the Pyra console would fair better. It has been about 6 years now since the announcement of the Pyra and I thought it was close to completion but I feel that interest in this project has been dwindling for quite some time, so close and yet so far. I have worked in the electronics manufacturing industry for about 25 years and I have never known any project to be dragged out for this long. I think it is time to face reality, the Pyra has failed just like the Pandora did. Evil Dragon has done a fantastic job but I really don't think his heart and sole is in the Pyra like it was at the very beginning.

Preview
I've been following the Pandora console and then the Pyra console for many years as they were something that really interested me. The Pandora was a complete disaster and I was hoping that the Pyra console would fair better. It has been about 6 years now since the announcement of the Pyra and I thought it was close to completion but I feel that interest in this project has been dwindling for quite some time, so close and yet so far. I have worked in the electronics manufacturing industry for about 25 years and I have never known any project to be dragged out for this long. I think it is time to face reality, the Pyra has failed just like the Pandora did. Evil Dragon has done a fantastic job but I really don't think his heart and sole is in the Pyra like it was at the very beginning.
This clearly belongs in the “absurdism corner”...

This clearly belongs in the “absurdism corner”...
Really? A device that has been in development for 6 years and has failed to reach production, a device that is retro before it has been even released? And my comment belongs in the 'absurbism corner'!! I really wanted this project to succeed but you have to face reality it hasn't. I hope I'm wrong, but as a CEM I have seen far bigger projects fail.

Last edited:
The Pandora was a complete disaster

Are you serious ?

If only there were more of these "disasters" around at the time... luckily that "disaster" is still able to do the promised things, and even more.

But for the Pyra the situation is a lot different, because now there are a lot of similar products around, but if you are not able to see in what differs from the others, then maybe it is not the device for you.

Really? A device that has been in development for 6 years and has failed to reach production, a device that is retro before it has been even released? And my comment belongs in the 'absurbism corner'!! I really wanted this project to succeed but you have to face reality it hasn't.

Why, after all these years, do you decide to make these comments now, when production is around the corner? We also are due another update from ED later this week.

I understand if you feel that the hardware is a little "retro" , but it is most certainly not a dead parr... project.

Interestingly, on the thread about a replacement CPU board, it is actually pretty hard to find a good replacement for the OMAP5 - while there are some AArch64 replacements now, in terms of raw CPU power they are pretty close or even worse (and anything more powerful has documentation/availability/size/thermal issues).

It's also worth noting that while it appears to be EoL, much of the OMAP5 IP has ended up in TI's automotive product lines - DRA7xx etc are essentially OMAP5s with a slightly different set of peripherals.

Why, after all these years, do you decide to make these comments now, when production is around the corner? We also are due another update from ED later this week.

I understand if you feel that the hardware is a little "retro" , but it is most certainly not a dead parr... project.
The production has been around the corner for a few years, there is always something that prevents it. The number of times I read unfortunately it's Chinese new year etc....

I have made a comment now because we are nearly in June 2020 and there have been very few posts from Evil Dragon. Evil Dragon has a business to run, he has probably lost a serious amount of money on the Pyra with no hope of getting it back. If you have your Pyras by Christmas I will apologise for losing faith in the project.

Last edited:
The number of times I read unfortunately it's Chinese new year etc....
Once a year? Maybe?
he has probably lost a serious amount of money on the Pyra with no hope of getting it back.
If he fulfills the preorders, he'll get a chunk of money and may hope to sell additional units. If he doesn't, he has to pay back a greater chunk of money.
So, why now would he not be motivated to see this through?

Pyra has failed just like the Pandora did. Evil Dragon has done a fantastic job but I really don't think his heart and sole is in the Pyra like it was at the very beginning.

It is, but the problem is that I can't design electronics, plastic cases or even code software.
So I need others to handle that.
And sadly, especially when it comes to the software area, there aren't really a lot of people helping here getting stuff to work.
And that's the problem: How can I test and approve hardware if the software doesn't yet work?

Yes, that has dragged for far too long - and I would've loved to help with the software, but I can't do that.
Additionally, no one else uses the OMAP5, so there's not really a lot of help from the Linux community or TI as well.

You mention you've worked in electronics business and never seen anything drag that long:
Well, YES, of course! It's your main job and you've probably been working for a company which has a team of engineers for software, etc. as well.

My main job is TV stuff, and I can easily plan and run a full live TV show including planning wiring up the needed cameras, etc.

Nikolaus is doing this as a professional job, and he did a great job there (the hardware of the Pyra works fine - it's the software that's lacking).
Missing software drivers have cost us easily 2 - 3 years in my opinion, as I couldn't test everything.

Everyone else is helping out in his spare time - and boy, you can't imagine how much I would LOVE to have an awesome low-level driver development team at hand... but these don't grow on trees.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry when you're comparing the whole project to professional product design... as it is a community project, nothing run by experts hired by huge companies :)
Post automatically merged:

The production has been around the corner for a few years, there is always something that prevents it. The number of times I read unfortunately it's Chinese new year etc....

I have made a comment now because we are nearly in June 2020 and there have been very few posts from Evil Dragon. Evil Dragon has a business to run, he has probably lost a serious amount of money on the Pyra with no hope of getting it back. If you have your Pyras by Christmas I will apologise for losing faith in the project.

Buuut... this time, we weren't really affected by CNY at all :)

Weeeeell... the cases are lying in my office. Batteries, etc. are also there.
Global Components has already populated the display and CPU boards. Only the mainboards are missing.

So, left to do:
* Coat the cases
* Produce a packaging and manual (all done in Germany, so short turnaround times)
* Get heatsinks (from-stock products - can be gotten in 3 days if custom ones can't be produced)
* Get heatspreader (working on that right now).
* Assembly :)

That should certainly be possible until christmas I'd say ;)

Last edited:
Really? A device that has been in development for 6 years and has failed to reach production, a device that is retro before it has been even released? And my comment belongs in the 'absurbism corner'!! I really wanted this project to succeed but you have to face reality it hasn't. I hope I'm wrong, but as a CEM I have seen far bigger projects fail.

It is, but the problem is that I can't design electronics, plastic cases or even code software.
So I need others to handle that.
And sadly, especially when it comes to the software area, there aren't really a lot of people helping here getting stuff to work.
And that's the problem: How can I test and approve hardware if the software doesn't yet work?

Yes, that has dragged for far too long - and I would've loved to help with the software, but I can't do that.
Additionally, no one else uses the OMAP5, so there's not really a lot of help from the Linux community or TI as well.

You mention you've worked in electronics business and never seen anything drag that long:
Well, YES, of course! It's your main job and you've probably been working for a company which has a team of engineers for software, etc. as well.

My main job is TV stuff, and I can easily plan and run a full live TV show including planning wiring up the needed cameras, etc.

Nikolaus is doing this as a professional job, and he did a great job there (the hardware of the Pyra works fine - it's the software that's lacking).
Missing software drivers have cost us easily 2 - 3 years in my opinion, as I couldn't test everything.

Everyone else is helping out in his spare time - and boy, you can't imagine how much I would LOVE to have an awesome low-level driver development team at hand... but these don't grow on trees.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry when you're comparing the whole project to professional product design... as it is a community project, nothing run by experts hired by huge companies :)
Post automatically merged:

Buuut... this time, we weren't really affected by CNY at all :)

Weeeeell... the cases are lying in my office. Batteries, etc. are also there.
Global Components has already populated the display and CPU boards. Only the mainboards are missing.

So, left to do:
* Coat the cases
* Produce a packaging and manual (all done in Germany, so short turnaround times)
* Get heatsinks (from-stock products - can be gotten in 3 days if custom ones can't be produced)
* Get heatspreader (working on that right now).
* Assembly :)

Heatspreader? Is that AKA heat pipes, or heat shield, or something else?

This is something i also asked me this morning, as i can remember whe had to wait 5 Weeks for the Heatpipes that comes from China, and this was meantioned around 05.05.20,
I wonder how many months i have Pyra Experience until Chrismass..

I haven't used my Pandora much but for the occasional game recently. My PBP and GPD Micro PC filled the gap. But yes, I have to agree with Bosbeetle. The Pandora is a marvelous device that was well worth the wait.
I can only hope that the Pyra will be like the Pandora, but faster and sturdier that will -also like the Pandora- only get better over time..

Oh boy, only 19 months left confirmed!

I wouldn't mind helping with the software a bit. I definitely have experience with low level programming in C on ARM and Atmel microcontrollers. But sadly none whatsoever with the Linux kernel, that's such a huge and scary place. Where should I begin?

I don't think Pandora was a disaster but I don't think there is anyone around here who would not rather have the Pyra finished yesteryear either...especially because Pandora does so many things nicely but is really ageing now..

I am also interested in helping with Pyra kernel development, my "day job" is FPGA tooling so I'm fairly used to working at a low level including a tiny bit of kernel hacking in the past (not so much on the driver side though, more memory management and interrupt stuff). I can't commit any particular amount of time, I'd mostly be doing this for a bit of variety for what I'm working on but hopefully can manage a few hours a week. I have an OMAP5 dev kit on the way to play with.

It would be great if there were some tasks that weren't really on the critical path, but that would be useful to complete.

Back