Cases, colors and emails

Good luck getting 500 people to agree on what the custom case should look like.
It would only need an initial 100 to agree on one color at 25€ each which IMO is a reasonable price (molding is only part of the total cost) and seems doable (considering the aluminium case preorder).

That would be cool with just orange (im not so into these fake wood textures)

Render-Front-2600c.jpg

Really nice, could you add the same color at the inside of the lid? Just for me to see what it would look like :)

Render-Front-2600a.jpg

I like the two tones like kabaiakh showed, but black marble on the outside, white marble on the inside.

(I know, I know. We're going well beyond what is feasible. Just wishing.)

I like the two tones like kabaiakh showed, but black marble on the outside, white marble on the inside.

(I know, I know. We're going well beyond what is feasible. Just wishing.)

Marble actually machines quite nicely on CNC machines - so not completely impossible, just very very very improbable.

Marble actually machines quite nicely on CNC machines - so not completely impossible, just very very very improbable.
I mean, I was thinking of a faux marble pattern in plastic, but real marble would be cool. Heavy, maybe, but cool.

Reading thru this thread and seeing people's unrealistic wishes for the different types of cases (wood, marble, etc), I couldn't stop thinking of myself as I in the past had wished for many unrealistic things (aluminum case for the Pandora, double-twistable screen for Pyra, 6-button Pyra (this came true though :), etc) was only to get yelled by ekianjo. :)

Can we just finish the Pyra first then talk about these unrealistic things?

Whoops! I'm like ekianjo now :)

Like weathered wood that was buried? I kinda like that. I still prefer a solid color.

It will be used for games from back then, might as well go with woodgrain. Pyra 2600. I will go for the all black one. :p

@Grench should just get the regular prototype. There is no need for all the extra eMMC storage and RAM. He told me so. :p
[doublepost=1463609420,1463609245][/doublepost]
Eventually that might happen. Right now we are only looking at hundreds of units, and he needs to please the most people with only 2, or maybe 3 colors. I am kinda surprised he is considering more than one color for the first batch, but I don't know the cost of everything for one batch of cases, and how many cases that produces.
I was saying stick to 3
White
A Black/gray/gunmetal
Red or other different color

Simple modding with a sticker ...

View attachment 28437
Some thin veneer would do nicely there.
I already considered something like that. Since it is is across two case pieces it would either get I'm the way when opening the case or it would need to be cut in half. The corners could also start to lift and look pretty bad. The only place that kinda works seems to be inside, near the gaming controls or screen.

Good luck getting 500 people to agree on what the custom case should look like.
With the increased cost of the case you don't need 500 people to order a single color (@_jr_ hit on what I was thinking). It isn't about making money, it is to give people the case they want.

No thank you. If enough people want it we will probably get it, it just seems like a terrible choice.

With the increased cost of the case you don't need 500 people to order a single color

I interpreted the statement by ED as cases being produced in batches of 500. So if you are willing to pay more, then you just purchase more cases.

I think the 3 colors should be
1. Black
2. Dark Red
3. We all vote on the last color

(I really like the red that's on the pre order page that's why I said dark red)

A case made of pumice would be nice. "The Pyra, your feet's best friend."

No thank you. If enough people want it we will probably get it, it just seems like a terrible choice.

It would appeal to women more for sure! Esp with a custom pink lit logo on the lid..
[doublepost=1463729452,1463729128][/doublepost]Come to think of it... It might not look as nice as it could with the black keymat.. It would be nicest with a color inverted keymat I think, or other than black dpad and nubs at least...
I looked up this pics by @erico as an example
ERICO-white.jpg.8e2855dfccdc53cb37372bd05497bdfe.jpg

ERICO-pinkA.thumb.jpg.01a7dc0ddfb718d321b8ef8990d756cd.jpg

erico-pinkc-jpg.27461

Maybe in due time Ed can consider running a batch of other color keymats too.

Last edited:
Back