Where are we now?

Gah, was hoping to start playing with TILER stuff over the weekend but UPS have sent my uEVM on some kind of scenic tour, stuck in Tamworth for two days and now inexplicably ended up in Dublin - must have been loaded onto the wrong truck or something.

It's now moving further away, in Cologne - how on earth is this a sensible routing from Tamworth to the south coast - I swear anything Pyra/Pandora related has a strange curse associated with it. Probably the UPS truck will now catch fire or something.

Last edited:
It is, but the problem is that I can't design electronics, plastic cases or even code software.
So I need others to handle that.
And sadly, especially when it comes to the software area, there aren't really a lot of people helping here getting stuff to work.
And that's the problem: How can I test and approve hardware if the software doesn't yet work?

Yes, that has dragged for far too long - and I would've loved to help with the software, but I can't do that.
Additionally, no one else uses the OMAP5, so there's not really a lot of help from the Linux community or TI as well.

You mention you've worked in electronics business and never seen anything drag that long:
Well, YES, of course! It's your main job and you've probably been working for a company which has a team of engineers for software, etc. as well.

My main job is TV stuff, and I can easily plan and run a full live TV show including planning wiring up the needed cameras, etc.

Nikolaus is doing this as a professional job, and he did a great job there (the hardware of the Pyra works fine - it's the software that's lacking).
Missing software drivers have cost us easily 2 - 3 years in my opinion, as I couldn't test everything.

Everyone else is helping out in his spare time - and boy, you can't imagine how much I would LOVE to have an awesome low-level driver development team at hand... but these don't grow on trees.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry when you're comparing the whole project to professional product design... as it is a community project, nothing run by experts hired by huge companies :)
Post automatically merged:

Buuut... this time, we weren't really affected by CNY at all :)

Weeeeell... the cases are lying in my office. Batteries, etc. are also there.
Global Components has already populated the display and CPU boards. Only the mainboards are missing.

So, left to do:
* Coat the cases
* Produce a packaging and manual (all done in Germany, so short turnaround times)
* Get heatsinks (from-stock products - can be gotten in 3 days if custom ones can't be produced)
* Get heatspreader (working on that right now).
* Assembly :)

That should certainly be possible until christmas I'd say ;)
Evil Dragon, your commitment to both the Pandora and Pyra has been exceptional, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. As I think I said previously I have followed both the Pandora and pyra over the years and it really was something I was interested in buying, I think I became a little frustrated with the progress when I posted my comments. Good luck with the pyra, I hope it works out ok.

Wow, so i was just broswing out of curiosity... this project is still going? Not judging, but how is it possible to be, what? 5 years late? I hope for you that time is not leaving you behind. Specswise and so on...
HAHAHAHA! Laughing so hard right now!

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the boards we really love a sense of humor here.

Ha, yes, i mean im taking it with a grain of salt, but always good if someone has a proper laugh off of it. Simply because i was presented the pandora on a gamescom about 8-10 years ago, and when i got around to planning to buy it, it was already not available anymore, but the pyra has been announced, with preordering for 2016, so i checked again in '16 (+1).
So as i said my curiosity, because i didnt hear anything from it, made me search for info and finding the preorder offer completley unchanged at all. My search finally brought me here, reading that it is STILL going on... i mean im yet to read trough the main events and info of the last years, but man... thats crazy.

I think these 5 Years from Anouncement till Mass Produktion isnt that bad, its just that visible because other big companys dosnt show the whole Development Process, so lets say: Apple Anounced the new ARM Macbooks, to get released in 2 Months (tm) means in this case that they are allready done and sitting on the Shelf in Millions...
But Apple got a lot of Money, they can make this so.. the guys behind the Pyra dint have the money to delevop the Pyra bevor the Anouncment..

Its Crazy indead, but this is how whe rolling, otherwise, where is the Fun ??

You also have to remember that to match the amount of engineering effort going into a modern Apple product, everyone who preordered a Pyra would have had to have worked full time on it for the last few years. When you compare that to the handful of people who have designed and managed the Pyra project it really is quite incredible what a small team can do.

They didnt announce the product, they announced SHIPPING in 2016. You cant possibly compare that with apple or any other company i know about. Im not here for for hating though, im just really really "suprised" as i said.

I think fun have to end sometimes, because if fun losts too long, its may get boring ^^
So i think i will favorite the fun of the new toy over the fun of the waiting for the new toy

I'm going to use it to read ebooks, store files, do some Scheme programming, play N64 and DS games (none of them pirated because I would not steal a car), be hipster (hang it aound my neck using the lanyard hole), and of course take pictures with the awesome outside camera.

I don't know anything about making games but I plan to learn.

My children wanted me to help them make games for my Pandora. I told them we would try to make games for the Pandora 2 after they grew up a little.

They have grown a good deal since the early Pandora days!

Last edited:
Back