Release Vice C64 Emulator 2.3.23

Edited

Okay got some bits fixed (redeleted appdata and rebooted the Pandora).

However,

• The BASIC screen brightness pulses/flickers. Seems to be okay once you get a game loaded though.
  • Custom resolution - can't use number keys to set a new resolution.
  • Drive Autostart options "Use ',1' with Load", and "Use ':' with Run" are not inverted (if you select them, they turn them off)
  • Scalex2 can't be used - because it "doubles" the screen size again, and you only get a partial screen (Turn fullscreen off)

I'll keep playing

Last edited by a moderator:
pmprog -- sounds like the emulation has gotten to 100%, now working as well as the original hardware!

(okay, sorry, I'm sleepy ;)

pmprog -- sounds like the emulation has gotten to 100%, now working as well as the original hardware!
lol, that's what I was thinking ^_^

Is this right? The Commodore screen is right to the edge? No border now:(
The border is there, just out of the "resolution", a number of emulators do this based on the client resolution (I use CCS64 on the PC, and if you fullscreen, on these monitors is loses the borders). It can be pretty annoying as some games actually use the border area (noticable Creatures 2).

Ah, wait... Turn off "Fullscreen mode", and enable doublesize. They appear ;)

If you are using the omap scaling, you are using notaz sdl, which is in the image. These problems only seem to occur, if you use the omapfeatures though.

Edit: Notaz sdl is included in the firmware since hf6 afaik.

Edit2: Iirc, there was a problem with scancodes not being returned correctly or at all.

Hmmm...This is quite unrelated to VICE, I'm afraid, but might this be causing my inability to type ÄÖ on the pandora? (I have a xmodmap which maps äö to F11/F12, and since some time back, I cannot get shifted F11/F12 to register, thus no capital ÄÖ)

lol, that's what I was thinking ^_^

Is this right? The Commodore screen is right to the edge? No border now:(
The border is there, just out of the "resolution", a number of emulators do this based on the client resolution (I use CCS64 on the PC, and if you fullscreen, on these monitors is loses the borders). It can be pretty annoying as some games actually use the border area (noticable Creatures 2).

Ah, wait... Turn off "Fullscreen mode", and enable doublesize. They appear ;)

Yeah that works but the screen is messy now.. Like there's a lot of noise in the screen..looks like I got horizontal graining going on

I can`t find it.. but is there anyway to save the location of the .d64`s ? other than putting them in the appdata dir..

oh.. .vice directory maybe?

Not sure, but it might save the current path as well if you save the settings.

No this doesn't work. Nether does setting it in the config dir.

Also the keyboard is flaky emulation mode.. Seems ok once a game is loaded though...

I'm still getting slight pauses in the music ( action biker and batman )

Daz

Yeah, I second a request for saving game directory :)

The cuts in music will be that your unit doesn't have enough grunt. A couple of times in Creatures, the framerate and speed dropped. I was clocked at 600MHz. Try overclocking to 800MHz or something

Yeah, I second a request for saving game directory :)

The cuts in music will be that your unit doesn't have enough grunt. A couple of times in Creatures, the framerate and speed dropped. I was clocked at 600MHz. Try overclocking to 800MHz or something

I`m at 1GHZ.... still getting it... everything seems just a bit laggy.. not snappy... :(

As far as I remember the buffer size needs to be increased a bit (to 120)

Can't do this right now as the numbers are not working.

Okay, played around a bit, here are the settings to fix the sound:

Rate: 22050

Buffer Size: 120

Fragment Size: Large

You can change the buffer size directly in the config file (inside .vice/-directory)

Be sure to scroll down to the settings for the C64 - as these are the settings for all machines.

These values might probably be good for the default config file :)

Should my mouse pointer be visible at all times? Oh and those edits have fixed those minor stutters to the sound for me anyway!(1gig model Pandora)

Should my mouse pointer be visible at all times? Oh and those edits have fixed those minor stutters to the sound for me anyway!(1gig model Pandora)

The mouse pointer should not be there.

The sound settings even work fine with 700MHz, so they should also run on the very first classic Pandora model.

I can confirm that setting the location of your roms in the config file doesn't work. I'm setting the location of my .d64s under the FSDevice8dir

Mine is set to "/media/PAN1/pandora/roms/c64"

Just a side note about the PND, it makes appear 5 times "Vice setup" in the Documentation menu

I can confirm that setting the location of your roms in the config file doesn't work. I'm setting the location of my .d64s under the FSDevice8dir

Mine is set to "/media/PAN1/pandora/roms/c64"
Just reading the VICE FAQ on this.

I suppose manually editing the VICE menu option "Autostart Images" towards the link directly to your favourite c64 game, which naturally is in your C64 games folder, might be the best way for a direct shortcut. I`m trying it just as you describe, my link is just a litlle different, like " /media/blablabla1/roms/c64/p/ppatrol/ppatrol.d64" - hadn´t thought of giving both SD cards good short names, plus C64 is a subfolder of a subfolder of a subfolder on it and I had to handwrite that full link down and enter it manually then I guess. Hope this works :)

EDIT This was another Pandora-typed post :D

The documentation is part of every application element. This might not be needed and can be removed in all but one application tag.

Back