Beta Snes9X4D4P - Another New Build, Now With Hi Res And New Rom Picker

This is pretty good news, I was just looking to nab an SNES emulator for my Pandora and to find it was updated today as well is awesome news. Thanks Ivanovic!

Thanks for continuing to update this Ivanovic, much appreciated.

Please advised if we can donate...

Thank you very much Ivanovic! Last time I tried this emu, I think vsync was off. I was wondering if this is something you might consider adding to the emu, please. Because tearing is always something that spoils the experience for me, especially since the Pandora is able to produce silky smooth scrollings! ;)

Michoko said:
Thank you very much Ivanovic! Last time I tried this emu, I think vsync was off. I was wondering if this is something you might consider adding to the emu, please. Because tearing is always something that spoils the experience for me, especially since the Pandora is able to produce silky smooth scrollings! ;)
VSync is only possible if you set frameskip to "1" (which means "show every single frame" and is the default). If you change the setting to say "auto" you can't get vsync. That is vsync has been there for ages by now for this emulator so you should not see tearing, at least not when using the default settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just uploaded a new version to the archive.

Changes in v20110214:
* Support subfolders in 7z archives. Please be aware that it will take *ages* to load if you select a rom from a larger 7z archive since the whole archive is processed during temporary unpacking!

Yes, with this version you could eg have one 7z with all your roms inside and just use that for Snes9X4P though I really recommend not to, since the time required for starting a selected rom (you well get an additional selection that lists the content of the 7z archive after the archive was selected in picklelauncher) increases with the size of the archive. So an archive with "many" roms might easily take 15mins to be processed so that the selected rom is started! Better either just use plain zip files, one per rom, or 7z files, one per rom to save some space on the sd card.

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,63

(It might take a little till ED activates the new version, so be patient!)

Ivanovic said:
Michoko said:
VSync is only possible if you set frameskip to "1" (which means "show every single frame" and is the default). If you change the setting to say "auto" you can't get vsync. That is vsync has been there for ages by now for this emulator so you should not see tearing, at least not when using the default settings.

Oops, yes, you're right. The only game I had quickly tried was Act Raiser 1, and when moving the palace over the map, I get some kind of tearing (the scrolling looks like it's floating a bit). But it seems game related, because I tried other games and they are perfectly smooth. Maybe Act Raiser wasn't using vsync in the first place... Anyway, thanks for correcting me!

I was wondering if there are any plans to add/fix sound emulation for DSP effects like echo? It may be related to the sample decoder but I'm not exactly sure what features of the DSP that this version of Snes9x supports. My specific interest is in Squaresoft games where it uses wind effects like Final Fantasy 6. I've only actually used Snes9x4d on my dingoo but from the videos I've seen it seems to have the same issues. I know I'm probably just being picky, but I value the audio emulation very highly because I love the sound the the SPC. I'm patiently awaiting my Pandora(which is in the mail) to try out this version since full speed portable snes emulation has always been high on my want list. Thanks for the great work so far!

Thank you for fixing the 7z support.
The folder support is really nice.

Maybe you could add a check to see if there is only one *.smc file in the archive and start that immediately.

The advantage of 7z is that it does not just compress every file individually. If you have many similar files, for example the US and Japan versions of the same game, it will compress to not much larger than each file individually, since only a small part of the rom is different.

7z support doesn't work for me. Whenever I try to load a game, all I get is a black screen. I compressed my roms individually using P7Zip on my Mac. Any thoughts?

goldenegg said:
7z support doesn't work for me. Whenever I try to load a game, all I get is a black screen. I compressed my roms individually using P7Zip on my Mac. Any thoughts?
Are you using the latest version? What are the file names you are trying? Could you please paste the output of /tmp/pndrun*something_with_snes9x*? Without this info it won't be possible to help you. Using the latest version this stuff *should* just work.

When using a "7z" (case sensitive!) as fileending you should get some selection dialog where you select which file inside the archive to use. If you don't get this selection, something ain't working nicely for you which might be related to the name of the archive or something along those lines.

Ivanovic said:
Just uploaded a new version to the archive.

Changes in v20110214:
* Support subfolders in 7z archives. Please be aware that it will take *ages* to load if you select a rom from a larger 7z archive since the whole archive is processed during temporary unpacking!

Yes, with this version you could eg have one 7z with all your roms inside and just use that for Snes9X4P though I really recommend not to, since the time required for starting a selected rom (you well get an additional selection that lists the content of the 7z archive after the archive was selected in picklelauncher) increases with the size of the archive. So an archive with "many" roms might easily take 15mins to be processed so that the selected rom is started! Better either just use plain zip files, one per rom, or 7z files, one per rom to save some space on the sd card.

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,63

(It might take a little till ED activates the new version, so be patient!)

just to let you know my website says ur PXML is not valid.

Validating pnd file...
PXML data missing: application, title, description, version, category ...Done!

It looks like the PXML has not been appended to the end of the PND. It is inside the filesystem, but libpnd won't find it in there.

PS: milkshake, rather than having your site say "data missing: application, title...", maybe it should be able to say "no PXML" in cases like these.

thats a good suggestion but my site does already do this, my site is spot on the money ;)

there is xml data appended to the binary but it appears to be malformed.

Code:
<pxml xmlns="http://openpandora.org/namespaces/PXML" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:nonamespaceschemalocation="PXML_schema.xsd">

<application id="snes9x.skeezix.alpha">

<title lang="en_US">Snes9x4P</title>

<exec command="./run.sh">

<previewpics>
      <pic src="snes.png">
    </pic></previewpics>

<icon src="icon.png">

<info name="Snes9x4P Dokumentation" type="text" src="README_Snes9x4X.txt">

<description lang="en_US">Super Nintendo (SNES) emulator; derived from Snes9x4d (Dingoo) port.</description>

<author name="snes9x team / SiENcE / skeezix / ivanovic" website="http://www.codejedi.com/">

<version major="1" minor="39ff" release="20110214" build="1"><!--This programs version-->

<categories>
      <category name="Game"><!--category like "Games", "Graphics", "Internet" etc-->
        <subcategory name="Emulator"><!--subcategory, like "Board Games", "Strategy", "First Person Shooters"-->
      </subcategory></category>
    </categories>

<clockspeed frequency="600"><!--Frequency in Hz-->

</clockspeed></version></author></info></icon></exec></application>

</pxml>

as you can see its horribly malformed look at the last line thats not healthy...

Code:
</clockspeed></version></author></info></icon></exec></application>

im pretty sure it should read more like this.

Code:
<pxml xmlns="http://openpandora.org/namespaces/PXML" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:nonamespaceschemalocation="PXML_schema.xsd">

<application id="snes9x.skeezix.alpha">

<title lang="en_US">Snes9x4P</title>

<exec command="./run.sh"></exec>

<previewpics>
      <pic src="snes.png">
    </pic></previewpics>

<icon src="icon.png"></icon>

<info name="Snes9x4P Dokumentation" type="text" src="README_Snes9x4X.txt"></info>

<description lang="en_US">Super Nintendo (SNES) emulator; derived from Snes9x4d (Dingoo) port.</description>

<author name="snes9x team / SiENcE / skeezix / ivanovic" website="http://www.codejedi.com/"></author>

<version major="1" minor="39ff" release="20110214" build="1"><!--This programs version--></version>

<categories>
      <category name="Game"><!--category like "Games", "Graphics", "Internet" etc-->
        <subcategory name="Emulator"><!--subcategory, like "Board Games", "Strategy", "First Person Shooters"--></subcategory>
      </category>
    </categories>

<clockspeed frequency="600"><!--Frequency in Hz--></clockspeed>
  </application>

</pxml>

manafreak said:
I was wondering if there are any plans to add/fix sound emulation for DSP effects like echo? It may be related to the sample decoder but I'm not exactly sure what features of the DSP that this version of Snes9x supports. My specific interest is in Squaresoft games where it uses wind effects like Final Fantasy 6. I've only actually used Snes9x4d on my dingoo but from the videos I've seen it seems to have the same issues.

That is because this version was ported from the Dingoo, so no coincidence. I think PocketSNES has better sound but not sure if a proper port of that will be done.

DaveC said:
I think PocketSNES has better sound but not sure if a proper port of that will be done.
If the current PocketSNES port's sound is any indication, then PocketSNES' sound is *miles* behind. It has issues that were present in Snes9x back in 2000, and which were eliminated by the time of the Snes9x version that Snes9x4P is based upon.

Who want to build Snes9X4C ( caanoo emulator ) for Pandora ?

I want to have Netplay in Snes emulator for pandora.

Thanks

Prometheus said:
DaveC said:
I think PocketSNES has better sound but not sure if a proper port of that will be done.
If the current PocketSNES port's sound is any indication, then PocketSNES' sound is *miles* behind. It has issues that were present in Snes9x back in 2000, and which were eliminated by the time of the Snes9x version that Snes9x4P is based upon.

do the switches for snes9x work for snes9x4p?

specifically the -sq xxxxxxx switch (sound quality) that might make snes9x sound better at the price of emulation speed, it works wonders on the caanoo port. If you have a game that has real rich stereo sound it really shines if you throw that flag in there like -sq 48000

http://snes9x.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=19286&sid=9177fba860dd55d86d20d43b91e48c62

jb0yx said:
Prometheus said:
DaveC said:

do the switches for snes9x work for snes9x4p?

specifically the -sq xxxxxxx switch (sound quality) that might make snes9x sound better at the price of emulation speed, it works wonders on the caanoo port. If you have a game that has real rich stereo sound it really shines if you throw that flag in there like -sq 48000

http://snes9x.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=19286&sid=9177fba860dd55d86d20d43b91e48c62
Some of the switches might work, but especially the one for audio is bogus and won't improve things! Currently audio is set to the frequency that is *identical* to the one of the original SNES, meaning 32kHz. Setting it higher will *not* improve things in the output quality, in fact they might result in worse sound. To set any values you have to create a file named "app.txt" in your snes9x4p appdata folder and the stuff will be used. Though be aware that it is likely that not all (if any) of the switches listed on this forum post will work!

Back