The grand day is nearing (2011-12-12)

Well, an aluminium body would cost at least 60,000 USD to make, and then about 10 - 15 USD per case.

So if 1000 Pandora users would want such a body, it would cost about 80 USD more... and I have no idea how WiFi would work.
The MacBooks have a plastic part on the side where the WiFi antenna is.  That would mean a new PCB layout and new moulds... The cost of this is too much.

Well, an aluminium body would cost at least 60,000 USD to make, and then about 10 - 15 USD per case.

So if 1000 Pandora users would want such a body, it would cost about 80 USD more... and I have no idea how WiFi would work.
The MacBooks have a plastic part on the side where the WiFi antenna is. That would mean a new PCB layout and new moulds... The cost of this is too much.
would it be possible to lead the antenna out of the case and build a copper pandora-symbol with it ?

gretings

Last edited by a moderator:

The MacBooks have a plastic part on the side where the WiFi antenna is. That would mean a new PCB layout and new moulds... The cost of this is too much.
would it be possible to lead the antenna out of the case and build a copper pandora-symbol with it ?

gretings
not unless the logo shape is tuned to the right frequency, which is highly unlikely

gretings
not unless the logo shape is tuned to the right frequency, which is highly unlikely
That would be quite an interesting idea, wonder if anyone has tried that before.

A tuned logo, I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck tomorrow and this weekend on your test drive ED! I'm sure you'll keep us updated as usual. Thank you for not giving up on the project!.

If you're dreaming of an aluminum case anyway - why not scale the Pandora logo to 'antenna size' - effectively making it a pair of Antennas (bluetooth & 802.11g). Have those laser cut out of the lid - and a snap-in or melt in insulator between the case and a pair of aluminum antennas that set into it. The logo becomes two antennas (with a tiny split in the logo for wherever the proportional need is for 802.11g and bluetooth tuned bits.

Of course - this alone could take months of tuning and testing.

Of course - this alone could take months of tuning and testing.

But it would look absolutely gorgeous! And IMHO would be the sexiest handheld ever made...

... but i'm fully aware my taste only watches the mainstream from a distance...

Perhaps something to concider for the P2? I think I would rather have the Aluminum case than the latest and greatest processor...

Perhaps something to concider for the P2? I think I would rather have the Aluminum case than the latest and greatest processor...
I think the focus for the pandora should be endurance. endurance of the material used for production and endurance of support. Most gadgets are supposed to be used for 3 years maximum. I would like to have spare parts, batteries and so on in 5 years also.

greetings

I think the focus for the pandora should be endurance. endurance of the material used for production and endurance of support. Most gadgets are supposed to be used for 3 years maximum. I would like to have spare parts, batteries and so on in 5 years also.

Perhaps sell tough replacement cases, as a big, strong case will make the overall device bigger, which would put some people off.

Back