Tales of an Assembly

This long Connector where this cable also fits?
a60a25b1204dd698874afa0cb61ccccd.jpg

Send from something, i guess ^^

Yes, that's the connector.

You can also try limiting the charge current to 2A max. (if you're using a > 2A charger) (ED also saw overheating with his 3A charger (the battery temp protection seem to be set VERY conservative)).

systemctl stop pyra-thermal
echo 2000000 > usb_max_current

and/or fix the script at /usr/share/pyra/scripts/pyra-thermal.sh if the charge current is the cause.

Since I only have a 2A capable charger connected to my pyra, I never had this happen on mine.

Likely the reported issues dealing with heat and charging, likely throttling charging due to heat while running. Something to look at when I get home from work and start playing with mine.
I hope it at least charges properly when not running.

Cool, what would happen if I use this longer USB 3 Micro to USB A Cable for charging?

It will burn, laughing like a maniac, taking everone with it to the realm beyond.
Or, just maybe, it will just charge with your longer USB3 cable...

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
I hope it at least charges properly when not running.
Yes, that problem only occurs when the CPU is running and the charger pumps full power into the battery... fast charging really heats up the battery.

As batteries die faster the hotter they get, we set the max temperature for charging to around 42C.
I know smartphones can run hotter - but as smartphones are often replaced within 2 years, they don't care about hot running batteries....

So if it runs too hot, simply charge it when it's off.
You can still keep the power plugged in while running, the battery simply won't charge then.

Yes, that problem only occurs when the CPU is running and the charger pumps full power into the battery... fast charging really heats up the battery.

As batteries die faster the hotter they get, we set the max temperature for charging to around 42C.
I know smartphones can run hotter - but as smartphones are often replaced within 2 years, they don't care about hot running batteries....

You can still keep the power plugged in while running, the battery simply won't charge then.
Thank you for being so informative. Would charging at 1 ampere only help?

As aTc noted above, charging with 2Amp shall be fine, ( 1 Amp may be too slow, or not charge at all when processor is eating power)
Code:
You will need to run this after every reboot, to limit charging current to 2Amp.
Better alternative is to edit pyra-thermal.sh script and limit maxCharge parameter in the script to 2Amp

As aTc noted above, charging with 2Amp shall be fine, ( 1 Amp may be too slow, or not charge at all when processor is eating power)
Code:
You will need to run this after every reboot, to limit charging current to 2Amp.
Better alternative is to edit pyra-thermal.sh script and limit maxCharge parameter in the script to 2Amp
Okay! I more meant 1 amp for charging overnight. Since it's okay if it takes 6 hours.

That depends on how much the units uses when mostly idle, and I guess that also depends whether you leave wifi or cellular access on. IIRC the Pandora was something under about 300mA when idle with everything off, but the Pyra is significantly more powerful, plus has all of those peripherals, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were possible to get it using more power even when you weren't actively using it in certain situations. Would be good to get some stats on that from people with a retail unit now; cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq*/current_now should tell you the current usage.

Ok, editing the pyra-thermal.sh should be easy, i can remember that i have to run the text editor in sudo mode, (sudo notepad or something) and then just have to open the file..

So then i could even use my USB3 Desktop Power Supply, and it only takes 2 Ampere?

Is there a plan to put this 2A Script in future Firmware Updates?

Fortunaly this is Linux so the User can acces everything, and i think whe 200 preepreeorderers, should have at least enough Pandora experience to solve the issue themselve, and whe have the Board Community to ask .

Are there any other things whe have to know?
Not feed after mittnight, dont let it getting wet?

Seems like the same as on the Pandora, but not everyone have to like the Pyra,
I mean: who looks at the specs and the design wouldn’t find the right terminal command to fix the charging..
it is a niche device, just like a Unimog ^^

we set the max temperature for charging to around 42C.
This is my only real concern. In my part of the world the daily maximum is often over 40°C, and so inside temps (with radiated heat and limited airflow, like your house or shed during the day) can often be way above the official temperature.

I'm one of the wierdos who hope to use the Pyra as a phone replacement, so I really hope it can be a daily driver. If I can't charge it that would be a real damper (though I'd still love it :) ! ).

Does that mean it'll charge at any ambient temp when the unit is turned off?

If not (I'm sure this was stated already somewhere, but I can't remember), is it easily user-configurable in software to raise that temp limit? (for my use-case, I'd rather have a shorter battery life (given it is user-replaceable :) , than a device I couldn't use in summer)

"Man, these 23 people must all be having fun with their Pyras without sharing anything!"

Fine, I'll share my experience so far:
aaaaaaaaaa.png

Edit:
Complaining on the Internet always works. It's moving now and is scheduled for tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back