Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

Did you modified your lid settings ?

Were you running a particular app ?

I don't really care myself, but can you avoid using bold please ? :^)

OK I dumped the emphasis. And yes, I added that above - that I tried both lid-close settings and this was attempted right after login with no apps started yet.

And this is with thhe OS on an Sd card. I am trying the updated NAND version now. Again, just a simple login then immediately try standby.

It works from the NAND boot but not a boot from an SD booted-OS. Do I wipe the SD (partition and all traces) and start with a clean silicon slate or is there a less radical idea to try first?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you SD installer wasn't up-to-date.

Edit your autoboot.txt.

Just add this option:

Code:
mmc_core.removable=0

at the end of this line:

Code:
 setenv bootargs debug root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootdelay=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K

Maybe you SD installer wasn't up-to-date.

Edit your autoboot.txt.

Just add this option:

Code:
mmc_core.removable=0

at the end of this line:

Code:
 setenv bootargs debug root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootdelay=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K

success, and I learned a lot about the OS today.

Thanks. and it was the latest update to SD_install that forgot to add that detail. but you solved it. And I have saved this entire exchange as I do with all these solutions that work.

I've updated my icons to have a more natural colour curve, from blue being low to red being high. The new link is different from the old one, here it is: http://ubuntuone.com/2vPpbUQsBbiGI3ebBzIkK7

Maybe someone could find a way to make a script that would generate the pie chart scheme automatically, that is, drawing the circle with the right colour (probably just got to play around with the colour hue) and not just showing one of a series of images.

success, and I learned a lot about the OS today.

Thanks. and it was the latest update to SD_install that forgot to add that detail. but you solved it. And I have saved this entire exchange as I do with all these solutions that work.
Glad you could make it. Once you practice Linux, you always learn a lot of interesting things.

I've updated my icons to have a more natural colour curve, from blue being low to red being high. The new link is different from the old one, here it is: http://ubuntuone.com...sBbiGI3ebBzIkK7

Maybe someone could find a way to make a script that would generate the pie chart scheme automatically, that is, drawing the circle with the right colour (probably just got to play around with the colour hue) and not just showing one of a series of images.
You should post some screenshots in a separate thread. Use fbgrab, running it in a terminal.

I didn't know that command, my Linux knowledge is very limited indeed! Do I need to input this every time?
Create a file in the initialization stuff:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/rc5.d/S98rc.local

And add this in it:

Code:
modprobe ehci-hcd

Save and exit. Now ensure the file can be executed:

Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/rc5.d/S98rc.local

Reboot.

Should work.

Solved one of my questions-for-the-day also!

Thanks

So, now I have the USB2 port working (that was an adventure in forum searching - not always intuitive).

QUESTION: What is the difference in power usage & battery life with USB ports enabled at Boot in /etc/rc5.d/ verses normally not and later only enabled perhaps by a bash script when needed?

So, now I have the USB2 port working (that was an adventure in forum searching - not always intuitive).

QUESTION: What is the difference in power usage & battery life with USB ports enabled at Boot in /etc/rc5.d/ verses normally not and later only enabled perhaps by a bash script when needed?

I think the answer is about 3 times more then the system at full idle without flicking the power switch. Notaz said that somewhere. So I guess that's about 50 mA?

An idle Pandora, lid closed and doing nothing in particular, with USB off, now gets about 50 hours of battery life from full. Turning on the USB, even if nothing uses it, automatically reduces that back to about 18-20. That's true idle though. As soon as you're actually using it, with LCD on and CPU running doing something non-trivial, the USB host only adds an extra 20% or so to the power usage: 10 hours of full use becomes 8 hours. Judge the significance for yourself.

I think I will remove the rc script and change to a couple bash scripts instead.

I saw a few references online.

Does

rmmod ehci-hcd

unnload the module? And therefore deactivate the USB?

Just checked about the icons:

As mentioned, the Toggle WiFi and CPU Speed settings are added as launchers to the Panel.

The Panel only updates the icons on reload.

If I overwrite the old icon with a new one, it will only appear once I trigger a Panel reload (which takes a few seconds), so this is not really usable.

The proper way for a quick CPU Speed change & display would be an applet that sits in the tray.

Maybe someone could even code an applet to control all of the Pandoras functions (like TV Out, CPU Speed, Wifi, etc.).

I can't code, but I don't think coding applets is that hard.

-usb charge doesn't work, it will show a light for a second, go off for about 3-4 min then come back on a sec then go back off, watched power drop while trying to play with plugged in

-shutdown broken in 3.x kernel, I can't shut down it will just hang forever at shutdown screen
Ah, so I'm not alone with these problems.

Question: What is the fastest way to charge the battery?

• Which Kernel version? (default 3.x or boot into 2.x?)
  • Which mode? (normal, low power mode, standby)

For now, having tight days, i stick with 2.6 in low power, using a wall charger.

Is it true that the new firmware can't charge while in low power mode? I charged my unit and when I flipped it open the screen came on indicating it is not in low power mode... Another thing I noticed that my batery only charged to 72% but that might be due to the 'new' battery safe charging algorithm (correct me if I'm wrong)...

Apologize if this was already posted -- skimmed through the thread and didn't see it - but when resuming from sleep in Snes9x I think my cpu speed stayed underclocked?

Was defaulted to run at 800mhz (may have had a .ovr file do it in the past -- after updating the firmware i set the system default to 800 -- .ovr file may still be there). When I resume from a quick sleep -- the entire program was very sluggish. I exited out - and noticed that the entire pandora was sluggish (was in minimenu). Just moving from item to item through the grid was slow -- or trying to move up/down in the menus when customizing minimenu.

Just a quick update - I went in and deleted the 'cpuspeed' files (wasn't the .ovr - my mistake) and i still experience the problem if I hit the slider to go into low-power mode when in Snes9X.

Just checked about the icons:

As mentioned, the Toggle WiFi and CPU Speed settings are added as launchers to the Panel.

I realise there's not much chance of this, but is there any way you could change that to an optional thing? The first thing I have to do when I flash a new firmware is to hunt along the taskbar deleting all the useless icons - can we have a list of checkboxes at install-time so we can indicate what we want on there? I remove everything except for the pandora menu button, the clock and the battery charge meter.

Oh, and one other thing - I saw someone asking if we could have some sort of pie-chart for the battery meter... Having seen it, I'd really like to keep the current meter, if that's ok.

Edit: My mistake, those icons are for the CPU clock. A piechart doesn't make any sense for a CPU speed icon, so if we could make that optional also, it would be much appreciated. I for one often overclock way above 1000MHz, which that icon set doesn't seem to support.

D.

I've been using the neest kernal as much as possible, and am seeing the same recurring problem. I've found a workaround for my "left nub stops working when I come back out of low power" problem, it must be somehow connected to my main SD card, if I eject that, the nub instantly starts working again!

The other problem is a new one, which I've now experienced twice this week. My Pandora freezes while running a PND, and the only solution is to hard reset it. then I get an error message "unable to load kernal, please reflash firmware" upon boot up. this happened to me for the second time today while trying out PND manager. FYI, I don't run the OS off SD, or do anything special to the NAND. Had anyone else experienced anything similar?

Edit: My mistake, those icons are for the CPU clock. A piechart doesn't make any sense for a CPU speed icon, so if we could make that optional also, it would be much appreciated. I for one often overclock way above 1000MHz, which that icon set doesn't seem to support.
Forget optional, they're not even possible at the moment. :p There's no way to change icons on the fly like what was proposed, so your concerns about making this optional are still a bit premature.

Is it true that the new firmware can't charge while in low power mode?
The new low power is effectively off, everything about the system is as off as it can get and still be in a position to come back quickly. The CPU is frozen. Just like from a true off state, plugging in the mains acts as a trigger on the power switch. Now, in theory, the Pandora can charge without the CPU, but it is dangerous and not recommended so it doesn't and won't.

Another thing I noticed that my batery only charged to 72% but that might be due to the 'new' battery safe charging algorithm (correct me if I'm wrong)...
That shouldn't be the case. What percentage was it when you started charging and how long was it plugged in before you checked it again to see it was 72%?

Back