Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

Question: What is the fastest way to charge the battery?

• Which Kernel version? (default 3.x or boot into 2.x?)
  • Which mode? (normal, low power mode, standby)
Is it true that the new firmware can't charge while in low power mode?
The new low power is effectively off, everything about the system is as off as it can get and still be in a position to come back quickly. The CPU is frozen. Just like from a true off state, plugging in the mains acts as a trigger on the power switch. Now, in theory, the Pandora can charge without the CPU, but it is dangerous and not recommended so it doesn't and won't.

This means, that the fastest charging method per each kernel version is:

3.x: Idle with closed lid (Why: There is no low power mode. Charging while standby deemed dangerous.)

2.x: In low power mode. (From what I remember)

The remaining question is: Which of the 2 is faster?

My experience of the recent weeks makes me guess: 2.x, but I did not conduct any tests with comparable conditions, just rough memories.

Anyone who KNOWS it from theory (knowledge of the device and OS) or practise (time measurement) ?

@YourAverageJoe:

Try menu instead of mmenu?

Didn't work, even if it did it'd be weirdly inconsistent with earlier releases and everything on the wiki.

Sorry, I've not been tracking this thread (April is a very busy month for me); ED has been bugging me for awhile about a few mmenu bugs in the latest releases.. I'll look into this one soon, I promise :)

jeff

http://boards.openpa...ry/#entry141763

my battery was draining rapidly, think i figured out why, I don't think I can go below 500mhz for some reason

I've redownloaded and reflashed, same results

saw some errors when flashing related to gpio18 & 19 is there anyway I can pull that original log up and post it here?

EDIT:

sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

125000 0

250000 0

500000 698842

550000 0

600000 5617

I've put the device on standby in multiple different times during this boot... it's not dropping below 500mhz

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also spotted graphical glitches using Picodrive on the new kernel which aren't present if using the older one(try running the Pal version of Sensible Soccer for easy evidence of this?)
It's PicoDrive bug, works on old kernel because of luck.

Bummer. Is it something that can/will be fixed? Will it be a pain/long time to fix sort of thing (sounds like you apparently already have an idea of what the problem is apparnetly?)?

I noticed some pretty bad graphical glitches (almost looks like screen tearing along the top of the screen maybe?) while trying to play Sonic 2 w/ my 3 year old daughter earlier this evening.

Using 3.2.x, even if it's the default kernel, is not mandatory.

I like the Standby mode and usually use it as a lid-close event on my notebook. But here where I may want to have something running with lid closed (like charging or mp3s)... So I have lid-closed = screen off and I made a shell script that is activated by a hotkey using XFCE keyboard function. (Side note) ALT+(L or Tab or Fn) all get treated the same by xfce here:

So my script is simple

#!/bin/bash

# op_Standby.sh

# Assign this to a hotkey combo for instant SLEEP

# /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh 0 <- Standby

# /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh 3 <- Shutdown

# /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh 0 lid <- for lid open event

# /usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh 1 lid <- for lid close event

#

# To make it a act as a standard command

# sudo cp ./bin/op_Standby.sh /usr/bin/op_standby

sudo "/usr/pandora/scripts/op_power.sh" 0

Problem is that it wants a password. How do I get this to work and I would prefer a method that does not have my password in a script lying around! (Stallman would probably just berate me for having a password ;-)

It's PicoDrive bug, works on old kernel because of luck.
Bummer. Is it something that can/will be fixed? Will it be a pain/long time to fix sort of thing (sounds like you apparently already have an idea of what the problem is apparnetly?)?
Yeah I'll have to get around and fix it someday (PicoDrive code is in badly broken state now, so it will take a while).

It's basically racing with screen refresh and manages outdo it a bit on new kernel, so what you see on top are beginnings of next frame. Since it's doing vsync, this becomes a consistent glitch :(

Problem is that it wants a password. How do I get this to work and I would prefer a method that does not have my password in a script lying around! (Stallman would probably just berate me for having a password ;-)

Take a look at /etc/sudoers.d/50_openpandora .

Edit with nano or you will break permissions.

>> /etc/sudoers.d/50_openpandora .

Thanks LS. Got it and it all works now. I just need a point in the right direction as I learn all this. Windoze was never this much fun!

Hi,

I've started testing B3. I report that wifi is not working for me with the default 3.2 kernel. My home wifi uses WPA/PSK authentication, and the Pandora stays stuck in a forever loops asking again and again for the WPA key. The same key works fine with the older kernel.

Could you try to reboot and try again? I had this and it vanished itself after a while...

Could you try to reboot and try again? I had this and it vanished itself after a while...

Actually when I flashed B3 and booted the 3.2 kernel I had wifi enabled and it connected fine once. Then I put the Pandora in standby mode and the issue appeared. When I rebooted the pandora the wifi would not be on by default anymore, but clicking the enable wifi would go to password loop...

As I wrote I have no problem at all if I boot the old kernel.

I've noticed the same thing with wifi. At first I thought it was because I was doing a massive copy from one sd to the other, so I let it slide, but I had to reboot to get it to work again.

I setup Hotkeys for Terminal and Thunar under [settings][desktop][keyboard]

And they only don't work after a reboot. I asked around on IRC. They dont know. Any ideas?

Seems intermittent. This time I booted up after lunch and the Hotkeys work! ??

Don't know if this is a new or old bug, if I plug in my Pandora via USB and then let it auto boot, it will not start charging, I must replug it for it to being charging over USB.

Don't know if this is a new or old bug, if I plug in my Pandora via USB and then let it auto boot, it will not start charging, I must replug it for it to being charging over USB.

Open a terminal and type "cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27500-0/current_now" and see if it is a positive or negative value. That may even trigger the charge LED to turn on.

Thing I've noticed is that sometimes it will be charging but the LED won't actually come on.

http://boards.openpa...ry/#entry141763

my battery was draining rapidly, think i figured out why, I don't think I can go below 500mhz for some reason

I've redownloaded and reflashed, same results

saw some errors when flashing related to gpio18 & 19 is there anyway I can pull that original log up and post it here?

EDIT:

sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

125000 0

250000 0

500000 698842

550000 0

600000 5617

I've put the device on standby in multiple different times during this boot... it's not dropping below 500mhz

any ideas on other things to check for or how to fix this?

That's not the reason you have high battery drain (if you really have it), the CPU is fully stopped when idle regardless of it's clock.

What do you get if you do 'cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq27500-0/current_now' on lowest brightness with wifi off?

When starting the TouchScreen-Calibrator in SB3 I get a blank screen and can not see the first click-box until after I try and guess where it is and click that area.

In SB2 I was always greeted with a first click-box when starting the calibrator. It took three attempts before I got a first click-close-enough that it is doable except that I can barely tap the lower Workspace icon in the tray.

Kosmos

When starting the TouchScreen-Calibrator in SB3 I get a blank screen and can not see the first click-box until after I try and guess where it is and click that area.

In SB2 I was always greeted with a first click-box when starting the calibrator. It took three attempts before I got a first click-close-enough that it is doable except that I can barely tap the lower Workspace icon in the tray.

Kosmos

Yup same here

Back