Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 1.1 released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
SuperZaxxon Beta 1 had an issue with the modules (that's why DSP, etc. didn't work yet), so here's a small update: Beta 1.1

Here is, as a reminder of in case you haven't seen it yet, the announcement from notaz;

So why the name change? The upcoming 512MB units require updated bootloaders to support new RAM. You might also have heard currently used old kernel doesn't support full 512MB of RAM for the new units, updated one is needed. To add to that, linux-omap kernel community has finally reached to working power saving in recent mainline kernel releases. So because of all that, and rebirth production coming real close, it's about time to release a firmware we'll be using on updated units for general testing.

So this has:

• updated 1st level bootloader x-load to latest release 1.5.1
  • updated 2nd level bootloader u-boot to latest release v2011.12
  • 3.2 kernel release as a boot option in boot menu (hold R shoulder when turning on)

Other changes:

• various script tweaks by ED and me
  • DSP modules available for old kernel (player elements still missing, but can't be included anyway due to patent issues)
  • addded option to boot the system with RAM reserved for DSP

For other changes since hotfix 6, see this thread.

The stand-out new feature here is the 3.2 kernel with aggressive power saving and real suspend support. Now if you boot 3.2 and leave your padora sitting around doing nothing, it will automatically enter low power state and use under half the energy it used to use, potentially doubling battery time (could provide even more) in such cases. There is also real suspend support, which is activated by flipping the power switch. I haven't properly tested how long it can stay suspended, but it sould last at least several days - you are welcome to test. Note that currently there is a limitation that you must not run any PNDs while suspending or things may break. I suspect some use cases like paying games and listening mp3s might give noticeably better battery time too.

On the flip side the 3.2 kernel represents over 3 years of mainline development since we branched off 2.6.27, and many things changed. That means certain features of .27 can't be backported as-is, for example overclocking support, so need to be reworked and are currently missing. That also means some compatibility issues. That's the reason by default old kernel is still booted. Since I'm mostly working on kernel alone (over whole pandora history I've received only a few patches, I think they were form urjaman and WizStan), I expect it will take months, maybe half-a-year or more to sort new kernel issues and then, maybe then, the old 2.6.27 kernel can be finally retired. Post any issues you find with the new kernel here.

One more thing to mention is potentially improved boot time - it should now get through the bootloaders faster.

So here it is, available as full flash:

http://openpandora.o...erZaxxon-B1.zip

(I'm not sure it makes sense to provide updater pnd, since you need to run flasher anyway to get the new bootloaders)

SD image is also in the usual place:

http://openpandora.org/firmware/

For those running from SD cards, I still suggest to flash the new bootloaders. You can do this by copying everything from above zip to root of SD card, but leaving out rootfs.img and rootfs.md5 and then following usual reflashing procedure. Then everything but NAND rootfs will be reflashed.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry.

You can also use the SD Installer and run HF7b1 off SD Card.

Grab the image needed for the SD Installer here

Enjoy
smile.gif

Last edited:
Is there a new zip file? just noticed the zip file stayed the same name.

Edit: Although I notice the rootfs image is a newer date than before...

Last edited by a moderator:
What have you guys fixed in this one? Is it worth replacing my HF7b1 with it? The previous build was very unstable even booting the older firmware, and I'd rather not have to reconfigure everything every time I boot up :)

D.

dunny - i run HF7B1 on sdcard and test experimental build on nand

What have you guys fixed in this one? Is it worth replacing my HF7b1 with it? The previous build was very unstable even booting the older firmware, and I'd rather not have to reconfigure everything every time I boot up :)

D.
I think the difference between Beta 1 and Beta 1.1 is that just some DSP related kernel - modules were updated/added. see here

I asked this before, but no answer yet. I know we can't overclock on the fly, but can we change it so that it boots as 800MHZ by default? Also, how about changing the OPP to OPP2 since my pandora clocks at 600MHZ at OPP2 anyway I might as well undervolt it if it's possible. Thanks again, good work.

D.
I think the difference between Beta 1 and Beta 1.1 is that just some DSP related kernel - modules were updated/added. see here

also wifi reconnects when coming out of suspend to ram now :)

also wifi op script works

still issue with mains connection need some time to fiddle and see red light.

further sometimes switching to suspend to ram via physical switch causes system to hang at flashing cursor

is this the kernel that will eventually have proper audio bluetooth sorted out eventually?

I asked this before, but no answer yet. I know we can't overclock on the fly, but can we change it so that it boots as 800MHZ by default? Also, how about changing the OPP to OPP2 since my pandora clocks at 600MHZ at OPP2 anyway I might as well undervolt it if it's possible. Thanks again, good work.
No such option yet, maybe in next beta, who knows. There is 'mpurate=X' kernel command line argument but I don't know if it works.

is this the kernel that will eventually have proper audio bluetooth sorted out eventually?
Maybe, I don't have any gear to test it though.

No such option yet, maybe in next beta, who knows. There is 'mpurate=X' kernel command line argument but I don't know if it works.

Maybe, I don't have any gear to test it though.

I have a cheap BT headset that I don't use anymore, I could send it to you if that would help? (And if I can find it)

For those running from SD cards, I still suggest to flash the new bootloaders. You can do this by copying everything from above zip to root of SD card, but leaving out rootfs.img and rootfs.md5 and then following usual reflashing procedure. Then everything but NAND rootfs will be reflashed.

Found an issue with this step that may affect anyone who uses HF 4 on their NAND still (NOT MANY probably).

When you flash the new bootloaders, the touchscreen ceases to work in HF4 anymore.

I've flashed the NAND back to HF4 and done this 3 times with the same result. So although you can test the new beta or beta 1.1 in normal, or experimental kernel mode on your SD install. The NAND install gets knackered in the process.

I'm about to test HF 5 on NAND and then HF 6, to see if it does the same.

edit : Same result for HF 5 and also HF6a2 (which is the only NAND flash version I have of HF6).

Has anyone else experienced this? This cant be normal surely?

Some experiences about this new flash as well as HF7B1 itself (just flashed it yesterday and usually using XFCE (the main changes are in minimenu!) so not too much yet):

1) It is great that there is support to directly boot into commandline. This make restoring a backed up userdata significantly more easy (since otherwise the XFCE settings will be overwritten when shutting down unless you mark all settings files "readonly" before issuing the shutdown). With this option it is easy to restore the users settings:

* Before flashing create a tar file of your home.

* Flash the firmware and go through first boot. There make sure to set the same username you want to have later on, too (just for convenience, the usernumber is what really matters).

* Reboot holding the right shoulder button and select to boot into CLI. There login as your normal user.

* cd into /home, remove the new users dir and run "sudo tar xf /media/sdcard/BACKUP.tar" to restore all your settings.

Be warned though that you might replace some new setting files introduces during the first boot!

2) My 3G / UMTS stick (Vodafone/ZTE K3565-Z) works out of the box now using the new kernel (after inserting the module for usbhost). With the old kernel I still have to run "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0xID product=0xID" which is to be expected (support for automatically detecting this stick was added in kernel 2.6.29+). Due to modemmanager being installed by default I can now directly configure the respective APN using the networkmanager interface and use the 3G stick for surfing. Tested this and it works.

3) Powersaving features of the new kernel are just plain lovely! With wifi turned on but basically idle (just one open ssh session) the battery estimates are lovely 27h with a full load sitting on the desktop at the minimum brightness value of "3". With wifi completely turned off this is well above 30h making the pandora a lovely backup book reading device. Directly after waking up from suspend there were even lovely 190h displayed, so Notaz really has done a great job there! But of course there are many known issues with this kernel at the moment, so it is not ready yet for the masses and everyday usage.

Thanks to everybody working on this new firmware! This really looks like a promising release to me.

is it possible to install this on scard if sdcards are ejected when in suspend to ram mode?

i am running it on nand at the moment and wondering wether to put it on sdcard.

is it possible to install this on scard if sdcards are ejected when in suspend to ram mode?

i am running it on nand at the moment and wondering wether to put it on sdcard.
This *might* only be a problem with the experimental kernel. As long as you boot the default kernel it will not eject the sd cards since there is no suspend to ram feature. No idea if the experimental 3.2.1 kernel works with suspend while installed on an sdcard...

Back