Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 5 released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks a lot to notaz for his hard work and numerous fixes.

SuperZaxxon Beta 5a is ready to be tested! Compared to SuperZaxxon Beta 4, this release has the following changes:

• NEW / FIX: switched to Nokia's version of SGX kernel driver (more stable, new kernel only)
  • FIX: Occasional crash/hang on wifi module load fixed
  • FIX: Added some missing USB TV drivers
  • FIX: Sound recording has been fixed
  • FIX: Removed various sound controls that are not useful on pandora
  • FIX: (hopefully): TV overlay on the new kernel
  • FIX: (hopefully) added scaler filter control
  • FIX: Date/Time-Setting: Allow to cancel dialogs
  • FIX: Date/Time-Setting: Disable screensaver when changing time
  • FIX: Date/Time-Setting: Write to hwclock
  • FIX: MiniMenu: /usr/pandora/mmenu is being scanned again
  • FIX: MiniMenu: Added scan-delay when inserting SD-Card (this fixes the scanning in MiniMenu)
  • NEW: Preliminary support for Hold-Button
  • NEW: Included slaeshjaegs configbutton-Tool (change Pandora-Related settings from XFCE-Tray)
  • UPDATE: Kernel updated to 3.2.17
  • UPDATE: Increase audio pm and dirty_expire delays
  • UPDATE: Changes slider size to 20 (works good with fingers and stylus)

Beta 5a release is pretty much stable and the best firmware we got so far.

Suspending is now working fine, charging works properly, the touchscreen is very responsive, powersaving is awesome, ZRAM helps with programs that need more RAM. Aaaand finally we hava a use for the Hold-Button: It simply disabled input. The new SGX-Driver from Nokia might also fix some issues.

Unless we find serious bugs (hopefully not), Beta 5 will probably be the latest beta before we release an officially stable version of SuperZaxxon :)

So here it is, available as full flash:

Download SuperZaxxon Beta 5a

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

For those running from SD cards, you first need to install the new bootloaders.

You can do this by copying everything from above zip to root of SD card, but leaving out rootfs.img and rootfs.md5 and then following usual reflashing procedure. Then everything but NAND rootfs will be reflashed.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

]If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry

You can also use the SD Installer and run the OS off SD Card.

Grab the image needed for the SD Installer here

Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Notaz and OPT you are just fucking great!

Apologies for the bad language, but it has to be said. :D

The driver consists of 2 parts - open kernel portion and closed binary blobs. Only the open part changed, closed softfp blobs can't be changed/improved because we don't have the source.

Just installed and the screen still went black after setting the clock the first time.

You're a machine.. looking forward to install it when I get home from work.

Thanks!

mcobit happend to me also, but I had that before. Just touch one nub and all ist good.

I know, but it mas mentioned to be fixed in the changelog.

I must install this later this evening after work, hope the fixes might sort out the issue I have with my left SD card and the left nub, I'll update on that when I get to try it out!

For those running from SD cards, you first need to install the new bootloaders.

You can do this by copying everything from above zip to root of SD card, but leaving out rootfs.img and rootfs.md5 and then following usual reflashing procedure. Then everything but NAND rootfs will be reflashed.

Is this a necessary step for everyone? I used the SD installer to put this new firmware on an SD card and it seemed to boot fine for me. I'm using a fairly new pandora that came flashed with with Super Zaxxon beta 3.

Is this a necessary step for everyone? I used the SD installer to put this new firmware on an SD card and it seemed to boot fine for me. I'm using a fairly new pandora that came flashed with with Super Zaxxon beta 3.

You should be fine, this is refering to older units that are switching from Zaxxon to Super Zaxxon.

or at least I think.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back