Release SuperZaxxon - Beta 3 released

The latest version was a big leap forward, and it's now very usable, that's what i meant ^^.

Only if you boot into the newer Kernel (hold right shoulderbutton while resetting and select with B-Button you can use the full ram. in 1.5 b2 there are both kernels available.

OK, I did that and it booted from the NAND.

1) Is there a way to boot the new kernel and still boot my SD OS?

2) Can I upgrade the kernel without upgrading the entire OS?

Now I have to ask again. Because I upgraded to SZb3 and am still booting with the old default kernel 2.6.27.

I was told upgrading the OS would upgrade the kernel which is all I originally wanted.

So how-now does the brown cow upgrade his kernels?

Maybe you should flash the NAND to get the new bootloader ?

I never use the SD installer, so i can't tell much about it. It was updated some days ago, check the repo.

After that, you may have to make some changes in your SD card's /autoboot.txt .

Is it just me or did the pandora becomes alittlebit slower after this upgrade?
Possibly it's you, as smoking weed makes almost everything seem slower... :p

(My assumption from Retrodude's forum photo. Hope you understand humor)

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should flash the NAND to get the new bootloader ?

I misunderstood page 1

EvilDragon said:
For those running from SD cards, you first need to install the new bootloaders.

You can do this by copying everything from above zip to root of SD card, but leaving out rootfs.img and rootfs.md5 and then following usual reflashing procedure. Then everything but NAND rootfs will be reflashed.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.

Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"

So I have to reflash the NAND before I can run SD_installer and put the new OS on an SD card. ARGH!

It'll be worth it. will I have to upgrade the NAND first everytime I want to upgrade the SD?

OK I finished reflashing the NAND and it boots to 3.2 Kernel by default.

I then ran SD_install and setup.

And when booting from the SD card I STILL get Kernel 2.6.27

It DOES say SuperZaxxon beta 3 and holding the [R] on powerup gives me the same boot choices with NORMAL supposed to be kernel 3.2 and the option to boot older.

But the Kernel on the SD never got updated.

the pandora-rootfs bz2 file has the 2.6 kernel image only as far as I can tell.

HELP

back to the first question even after trying to follow the instruction. How to update the Kernel on an SD Install.

Thanks, maybe you could point me somewhere to understand the arguments or explain the basics. Here they are and I sincerely appreciate that you may save me from reflashing yet again. I did (or did not) do something....

[autoboot.txt]

setenv bootargs debug root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootdelay=2 console=ttyS0,115200n8 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K

fatload mmc 0:1 0x80300000 uImage

bootm 0x80300000

[boot.txt]

setenv bootargs debug root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootdelay=2 vram=6272K omapfb.vram=0:3000K psplash=false

fatload mmc 0:1 0x80300000 uImage

bootm 0x80300000

I don't want so seem annoying, nor do I want to break the current discussion, but...

did someone check the "placeholder" icons I made for the suggested feature of a clockrate indicator for the taskbar I have posted recently here : ?

I would appreciate some feedback on this. It didn't take very long to do them, but I think this could work while someone who's good at graphics designing can do a better job.

This boots the kernel from root of your SD (the uImage file).

pandora-rootfs.tar.bz2 has the 2.6.27 kernel in /boot/ and 3.2 one in /lib/boot/ , so you need to copy the one you want to root of SD (where [auto]boot.txt lies).

--

Dave1234, if you are reading this, could you replace 'rootdelay=2' with 'rootwait' and drop console= from autoboot? Also I don't think 'debug' is useful for casual user, it just slows down boot.

Excellent, it now boots from the SD and gives me 3.2 after a uname -a as well. Got it! retrieving it from '/lib/boot/' once you told it was there - easy. Thanks.

Thanks

I don't want so seem annoying, nor do I want to break the current discussion, but...

did someone check the "placeholder" icons I made for the suggested feature of a clockrate indicator for the taskbar I have posted recently here : http://boards.openpa...180#entry141064 ?

I would appreciate some feedback on this. It didn't take very long to do them, but I think this could work while someone who's good at graphics designing can do a better job.
Any help is appreciated, thanks ^^.

TV-out now worker after the second try today.

It was stable then.

There's still some start up problem.

One time it had a verry blurred picture (not the fault of the cable) when using PAL-composite but a good picture with NTSC-composit (TV is PAL).

When switching back to Pal there's that no Picture and no sound bug as described above.

I had rebooted and tried again. Maybe it was luck but it worked then.

After that I strained the cable a lot without any loss of quality.

Can someone else with a TV-out cable and in PAL region check this, please.
I also have problems with TV-out.

Have only a black screen, whatever the settings. Sometimes it's like it try to sync, i only see white "flashes".

Was ok with SZb2.

@fredg999: Nice idea as a pie chart. But the color scheme should be exactly the other way round. ("red" for the maximum frequency, as red is used as an indicator for "hot", etc)

Apologize if this was already posted -- skimmed through the thread and didn't see it - but when resuming from sleep in Snes9x I think my cpu speed stayed underclocked?

Was defaulted to run at 800mhz (may have had a .ovr file do it in the past -- after updating the firmware i set the system default to 800 -- .ovr file may still be there). When I resume from a quick sleep -- the entire program was very sluggish. I exited out - and noticed that the entire pandora was sluggish (was in minimenu). Just moving from item to item through the grid was slow -- or trying to move up/down in the menus when customizing minimenu.

Last problem: now if I close the lid and then open it I get to stare at a dimly lit display with a flashing cursor in the upper left. Had to do a hard reboot...

And also, how do I set for low-power versus standby? I am reading this forum like mad and still have to ask these things occasionally.

I disabled the "standby on lid close" to just "turn off screen" then did Standby using the power-button and got the same blinking cursor and no way to come out of it except hard-shutdown.

any ideas?

Did you modified your lid settings ?

Were you running a particular app ?

I don't really care myself, but can you avoid using bold please ? :^)

Back