SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

When the 3DS wasn't doing that well, Nintendo dropped the price and offered the Ambassador program to early adopters to show support and to drum up bussiness. Sony really just doesn't seem that interested in if the Vita wins or loses. Those high priced memory cards are the biggest slap in the face possible.

Sadly, the Vita is just one aspect of where Sony is failing in business. They where once tops in almost every field of their business, and now they just can't seem to compete anywhere anymore. TV's, electronics, media devices, game systems, ect, have all become substandard compared to others in the industry.

Oh well, the Vita is no differant than the Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket, PC Engine Handheld, PSP, ect. If it fails within the next twelve months, I have more than gotten my money's worth out of what games I currently have and the others I will be able to get at reduced prices once it crashes and burns. This has been the story of every handheld that has gone up against Nintendo for the last 20+ years, so it's nothing I haven't seen before.

I'm sure this will be their last go at a dedicated gaming handheld which sucks, as I hate tablets and phones for gaming, but this is where the industry appears to be headed, and Sony seems fine to bend over and take it up the rear :p I expected so much better from them.

Chris

The vita really is a fine system; but they need new, completely exclusive, vita only games Imo.

The psp may oddly be competing with the vita judging by japanese sales.

I hope though the future of portable gaming is not crud-worthless phone crap though as craig suggested it may be. Time will tell though, and theres always the pandora 2 anyways.

Sony got greedy and arrogant over the years though! their recent woes? Karma's a bitch maybe?

Has anyone tried the Vita version of Need for Speed Most Wanted? It's very good, feels like the offspring of Outrun 2006 and Metropolis Street Racer!(thought it had a day/night cye like that did, but it's an accelerated one instead!). I bought Obe recently enough, HMV is running a good deal at present. I do hope Sony can sort out whatever issues are stopping the release of Retro City Rampage and Jet Set Radio though!!

Has anyone tried the Vita version of Need for Speed Most Wanted? It's very good, feels like the offspring of Outrun 2006 and Metropolis Street Racer!(thought it had a day/night cye like that did, but it's an accelerated one instead!). I bought Obe recently enough, HMV is running a good deal at present. I do hope Sony can sort out whatever issues are stopping the release of Retro City Rampage and Jet Set Radio though!!
i have the xbox need for speed unwanted but have yet to try it.i wonder is the vita version much different. Msr on the dreamcast was great though i only completed maybe 40%.outrun had a very arcadey handling on the xbox when i played it too.

The Vita version lacks a bit of graphical niceties of the console versions, and there's less traffic and pursuing cop cars, but it's still terribly addictive, its been developed by Criterion themseleves.I've lost many hours to it already! And I only got to a certain point on MSR and it got too tough for me, but I always loved the whole timezones thing where you could race different cities at day or night! It's a pity they never used it again for Project Gotham Racing, the only other console game I had that did similar was the Le Mans 24 game, also on the Dreamcast!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^Yup the dreamcast rocked. My favourite games console ever and the amiga 500 my favourite computer.

The dreamcast got me back into gaming after a fallow period. Msr was very advanced at the time. the real life city streets, the radio stations and the kudos mechanic, great times.

Virtua tennis, dunno if you played it was excellent too.

Played them both on the Dreamcast, oddly enough there's a very good version on the Vita too!

I still have my Dremcast in my console pile beside the tv, not played anything for quite a while though. Did anyone ever play Bomberman Online? Never released in Europe, it's still my favourite version of Bomberman, with game modes I never saw in any subsequent version...

You know wot would be awesome ? A full speed Dreamcast emulator for the pandora , that's what !

And there's still some good games being released for the dreamcast to this day. I just got gunlord recently! its VERY similar to turrican 2 so why don't factor 5 sue? Lol well turrican is actually a VERY thinly veiled copy of nintendos metroid series. Turrican is more of a shooter though. This was factor 5's thing though. they also reversed engineered aka copied wholesale the r-type arcade board and released an r-type clone! Was it called denaris or katakis i think? Activision the porting rights holder just got them to port r-type or was it r-type 2 to home systems anyways cos the reverse engineered r-type clone was so technically impressive.

The sad thing is, I reckon there much be a market for the Vita, if only they mnaged it better. it does remind me a little of the Dreamcast, in the way it's got power, but being quite ignored (I know it'll never get the unusual lineup of games that the Dreamcast had though). I've even rebought a few of my fave PSP games again, just to have them on the go (Loco Roco 2 remains a classic!). If only the price of those memory cards wasn't stupidly expensive....

havent used my vita in months but i must get around to playing gravity rush at some point. there was a nice 2d beat em up fantasy thing coming out at some point.dunno if its out yet it may have been downloadable.

I'm the opposite. I spend a huge chunk of my gaming time playing my Vita. There are just so many good games. Most Wanted is great, Dokuro is a neat puzzle platformed AssCreed is fun, but I'm putting it aside until the work out the bugs. Zero Escape is an incredible story. Retro City rampage is a time killer. Lots of fun on a handheld. The community content for Little Big Planet and Sound Shapes keeps me playing those long after completing them.

Plus for Vita comes out tomorrow which has 5 incredible games and a single PSP games.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/19/playstation-plus-update-instant-game-collection-comes-to-ps-vita/

A developer clamied that at the release of his game, hardware shaders were not usable on the Vita, which is incredible considering what is out there. Since it uses SGX, I wonder if the OpenPandora had a similar problem, or if this was just a stability restriction by Sony.

Maybe this means I'll be able swing a second hand first model on the cheap … fingers crossed .

I just recently got my vita, and am quite happy with it.  Unfortunately, it is sooooo expensive.  250 for the system, 40 for the game I wanted (Persona 4), case, screen protector, playstation plus, and a 32gb memory card.  I bet I spent close to 400 on this system so far.

I will admit, though, I really like this system a lot right now.  I'm playing on it a lot, especially since I'm commuting a fair amount each day and have time during lunch and before/after work when I have "down time".  I rotate my 3DS, vita, and pandora on different days, depending on what I'm playing.

The memory cards are by far the worst price point of this system.  90 bucks for 32Gb was pretty insane.  I'm hoping that it + Playstation Plus will outweigh the cost in the long run since I won't buy so many games....*shrug*

90 bucks for 32 gig :eek: That is insane !!!! I hope you mean Aussie dollars .

Back