SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

The PS Vita Has Seen Better Weeks...

Now, It Looks Kind of Screwed...?

Q8KBQ.jpg

You know things are bad when your old portable is beating your brand new one. This week, Sony's PS Vita sold only 8,931. The PSP sold 14,804 units. The good news, I guess, is that Sony makes both handhelds. The bad? The newly released PS Vita continues to nosedive in Japan. This week it sold less than 10,000.

That's worrying! In comparison, the 3DS moved 72,115 units—not bad for a console that people thought was D.O.A. last year.

Rolling out new hardware is incredibly difficult. The PS Vita, like the 3DS, is an impressive piece of hardware. The 3DS finally has a nice line-up of games to keep players happy—and to entice new 3DS owners. These are growing pains, for sure, and the games are slowly trickling out. But Sony better turn things around, before the rot starts to set in.

http://kotaku.com/59...kind-of-screwed
I think this is only one weeks sales though and not really a proper indicator of longer term sales.Sales have to naturally dip up and down a bit per week/month for any product.I think the vita sales will be ok.The press dissects every little number or snippet of news these days and it's hard to tell what's true anymore.

I see these kinds of articles all the time, and they are beyond retarded. If you look back over the history of video games, almost every system ever made has had slow and fast sale moments over the systems life cycle. Several years ago the PSP had poor sales in comparison to the DS. Now the PSP is top of the pile in Japan and that can easily change 12 months from now. The 3DS was all gloom and doom this time last year, and within 6 months it was breakin sales records.

These so called journalist make me sick to my stomach, as they spend 2 seconds to prepare this junk and report it as though it has been researched over thousands of hours. This is complete trash and garbage from someone who wouldn't know how to report an actual news story if his life depended on it.

Chris

I think this is only one weeks sales though....

I'm of the same opinion as Jumpan in that I don't feel that there is much weight in these articles that get pumped out on a whim, but as a matter of general interest, I do keep an eye on VGChartz. I have no idea what the credibility of their figures is, but the Vita sales are generally always relatively low, especially in Japan.

The figures mentioned in this article are referring to this weeks Japanese sales only. I'm actually pretty sure that I've seen them down as low as 6000 units over there so this isn't really anything new.

The journalist is also picking which facts to discuss to make the point that they want (probably nothing new...). If you look at the bigger picture, Sony sold over twice as many Vitas worldwide than they did PSPs. The worldwide sales figures are about 70,000 units for the week which is about what they usually seem to be. The only time that things have looked much different was during the rest of the world's launch week. Total sales figures shot up to over 500,000.

Considering how hugely popular the PSP was in Japan, it's interesting how well the 3DS is doing over there. The weekly sales for the 3DS in Japan are basically equal to the entire world's weekly consumption of Vitas! It's not uncommon for Nintendo to shift 190 - 250,000 3DS' a week (worldwide).

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing with figures and statistics and releasing only the info one wants known is a common corporation/news media or politicians trick.I honestly don't believe much of anything i read in the papers these days.The media is nonsencical too and quite absurd at times.

True... They aren't telling lies, they just aren't telling the whole story either. Writing an article that says 'The Vita has only sold 6000 units this week / less than the PSP / Vita is screwed' is far more interesting than stating that this week's hardware sales are pretty much a snapshot of all the previous week's hardware sales. Nothing much has changed. Move along, nothing to see here.

Sales figures are low across the board in Japan (apart from 3DS). 7000 Wiis, 3000 Xbox 360s, 1500 Nintendo DS', 20000 PS3s... Vita is outselling Wii and Xbox 360 over there.

Vita is outselling Wii and Xbox 360 over there.
^ So it should, because Wii and 360 are nearing the end of their lives (particularly the Wii, because just about everyone who wants one already has one).so not fair to compare their sales to Vita. And, beside, 360 is a virtually a failure in Japan.

If you look at the bigger picture, Sony sold over twice as many Vitas worldwide than they did PSPs.
A new portable console Vs a 7.5 year old portable console...Not a fair comparison, because just about everyone who wants a PSP already has a PSP.

Absolutely true and I don't dispute that. I'm merely pointing out the numbers and the fact that the article focuses on a small part of the overall picture to create its headline and just ignores everything else. Just as the Xbox 360 has been a flop in Japan, the Vita pretty much is as well (so far). While not great, the sales throughout the rest of the world seem to be moving along ok for a fairly pricey bit of portable hardware that is currently still stuck in its launch window with regard to software. I think that just focusing on the Vita's least successful market and saying that it's 'screwed' is going a bit far.

I used those numbers as an example of the generally low sales in Japan across a variety of platforms. I have ignored the bigger picture of system age and region popularity etc in exactly the same way that the person writing the article ignores key pieces of information (that was part of my point). Having said that though, the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii etc are actually still very much valid systems. Even at the end of its life cycle, the Xbox still sold 170,000 units last week (worldwide)! If it is considered a write off, then we might as well say that the 3DS isn't doing very well either as it is only selling about 20,000 units more per week.

It's fun to forecast the future, really it is and it seems in a strange way it is even more fun to forecast a horrible future. Based on no evidence what so ever, but it seems like the systems and companies making video games today are probably going to be what we will have in the next 5 years. The only thing I see possibly shaking things up are a move for hand held devices to be more and more like phones. The market seems to be able to bare the weight of 3 systems and 2 handhelds.

The vita is not selling all the well because there aren't too many games for it and they are all currently mediocre. Wait for people to develop properly for all the features on the device, and for the first price break. This time is scooping the cream that rises to the top for Sony. Getting people like me to buy the unit at the full price with few games out just because i'm excited and can't wait.

To join the chorus above, sampling the market on a weekly basis is basically signal noise it doesn't indicate much of anything. The Vita is going to be fine and will have a full life span, it's just fun to forecast doom and it gets people talking but it is pretty lazy.

Anyone have the Katamari game? I ordered it and should get it in a few days looking forward to it, I liked those games on PS2 but never owned one.

so katimari arrived and I do dig it. it's really not that easy or maybe I just suck :D it's a bit hard to control the height and width of the ball with the back sensor but again I do suck. so what else is worth getting or do I have to wait a bit for some good games ?

so katimari arrived and I do dig it. it's really not that easy or maybe I just suck :D it's a bit hard to control the height and width of the ball with the back sensor but again I do suck. so what else is worth getting or do I have to wait a bit for some good games ?

I'm really not sure why anyone would think there are just *no* good games on the Vita currently. Super Stardust Delta, Wipeout 2048, Rayman Origins, Uncharted, and Lumines are all stellar games in my opinion. Sure, Rayman may just be a port, but the rest are unique entries in their respective franchises, and blow away what I typically see in launch lineups. :)

I also like Unit 13 and Hot Shots Golf.

I'm really not sure why anyone would think there are just *no* good games on the Vita currently. Super Stardust Delta, Wipeout 2048, Rayman Origins, Uncharted, and Lumines are all stellar games in my opinion. Sure, Rayman may just be a port, but the rest are unique entries in their respective franchises, and blow away what I typically see in launch lineups. :)

I also like Unit 13 and Hot Shots Golf.
Yeah, I'm still playing my Vita daily. I'm on my second run thru on Uncharted, I finished Mutant Blob with 100%, Escape Plan is Great, Rayman is currently my favorite time killer, and Hot Shots is also excellent. I believe the next 3-4 months have better games than the 3DS's next 6 months.

I think both systems have great games, and the 3DS for sure has stronger download titles, but the Vita really does have Great launch games, with many more A+ titles coming within a few months. Sony will need a strong showing from E3, but I'm not worried.

Chris

Yeah I like the vita.It finally brings true portable gaming to the table.It's powerful enough to give us a diverse range of games and the full controls are ace.I just hope they improve the browser with firmware upgrades.Wipeout 2048 is a good game.But I am waiting for some cool exclusive games too.Gravity shift looks nice and maybe the resistance title might be good.

I have sold my 3ds on e-bay cos it's just not for me.a sucky range of games.Endless mario and xbox ports etc.I never used it anyways.But im keeping my vita it's definately the most comfortable ergonomically designed portable ive ever used.

and i just purchased a wifi vita for $162 from amazon warehouse......why? i was hoping someone could tell me. sometimes you buy first, think later

Back