SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

I have more 3DS games currently, but that was a slow build up over close to a year(and many are DS shop games). I almost have just as many on my Vita in 2 weeks, so I would say the Vita had a better start IMO.

I'm really hoping Sony can show some really good games on friday and at E3 this year. They really need to get going on making PS1 & PSP games more availible to tide consumers over until some good first and 3rd party games can make it to market. That was one of the main problems with the PSP, lack of older library games(Sony has a great PS1/PS2/PSP back log).

Chris

I had to check... it was 2 weeks since its release, huh! :lol: Where did my week go..?

It's true, most of the games the Vita has now could probably be done on the iPad or other tablets and/or phones. However, I think the market is largely different, and that's what should differentiate consoles like the Vita and 3DS from the casual game market. For a while, portables were the casual game market before the iOS devices made casual gaming a cheap and readily-available affair, but I think portable consoles have since matured into something between hardcore and casual. With the introduction of Xbox Live Arcade and Playstation Minis, consoles seem to have grasped part of that casual market, but for me consoles will always be something I go to to play deeper games. I must have close to 100 games on my phone now, but I think I've already logged more hours on 1 Vita game than I have in any one of my smartphone games. Heck, I think I've only played maybe 10% of those for more than 10 minutes, and maybe only a handful for more than an hour. I've logged over 2000 hours in the Monster Hunter series since Freedom 2, and I still play MHP3 from time to time. I would not imagine playing something like that on my phone simply for the fact that it's a large-budget game that relies heavily on button input. There's simply no way touch screen input would do the game justice.

@-Tj-

Same here. I have well over 100 games on my ipod touch, and I haven't clocked more than 10 minutes of play time on more than maybe 5. Many kids and adults who would have used the DS or Psp years ago, now use their phones or tablets for gaming needs. So Nintendo and Sony are no longer the only 2 dogs on the leash, and need to advertise and play to the strengths they bring to the table that ios and android devices can't provide.

Those items will never replace dedicated gaming handhelds for me, NEVER! :lol:

Chris

@-Tj-

Same here. I have well over 100 games on my ipod touch, and I haven't clocked more than 10 minutes of play time on more than maybe 5. Many kids and adults who would have used the DS or Psp years ago, now use their phones or tablets for gaming needs. So Nintendo and Sony are no longer the only 2 dogs on the leash, and need to advertise and play to the strengths they bring to the table that ios and android devices can't provide.

Those items will never replace dedicated gaming handhelds for me, NEVER! :lol:

Chris

Yup, same here. Lots of games on my iPhone/iPad, but not many of them can suck me in for more than a few minutes at a time. The Vita has gotten FAR more playtime than even my 3DS that I sold to get the Vita, which I owned for 6 months or more. :)

Edit: Also, Motorstorm RC is really fun - very cool that they're giving it away for free (In the US, anyway...)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: Also, Motorstorm RC is really fun - very cool that they're giving it away for free (In the US, anyway...)!
I've seen a ton of reviews from guys who hate this game, but I'm loving it. Its one of those "Just One More Time" kind of games. Very fun and very cool. I would have been satisfied paying 10 dollars, but free just can't be beat.

Plus I took the 10 I saved here, and preordered "Journey" for next week. It comes with a free PS3 theme if you order this week(in the US anyways). The theme isn't really that great, but I was planning to get that game anyway, so why not get another free item if I can.

Chris

I've seen a ton of reviews from guys who hate this game, but I'm loving it. Its one of those "Just One More Time" kind of games. Very fun and very cool. I would have been satisfied paying 10 dollars, but free just can't be beat.

What's your PSN name? We might have to get a little rivalry going... ;)

What's your PSN name? We might have to get a little rivalry going... ;)
"Eenos" is my PSN user name!

Chris

Since Tuersday Evening at 10 pm, i did run a game and brought the PSVITA in Standbeye Mode, and today the Battery Indikator is still full, semms like this Standbyemode is as good as on the PSP,

isnt that great or isnt that great??

Katamari looks like a PS2 Game for sure, but the series ditnt want to have the best graphiks, its a great game and i like the gameplay even whitout best graphiks, in the aktual level i play, i have to bring the katamari up to 8 m , but every try i there are some cm left when the time is over, so i think i have to play the level until i have the 8 m katamari.., its a bit divicult on some levels, but its quite fun,

now i have: marvel vs capcom 3, Dungeon Explorer, Katamary, Uncharted, Little Deviants, on the vita...

Since Tuersday Evening at 10 pm, i did run a game and brought the PSVITA in Standbeye Mode, and today the Battery Indikator is still full, semms like this Standbyemode is as good as on the PSP,

isnt that great or isnt that great??
Standby mode on the Vita is GREAT. I think it is way better than the PSP, especially since the unit doesn't have to deal with any moving parts like the UMD. It is also lighting quick when jumping inbetween applications and games. This blows my 3DS & iPod Touch 3rd gen out of the water. It really is a gaming beast, great work SONY!

Chris

sounds like this thing is awesome, only thing holding me back is CFW and emulators that take full advantage of hardware (not in psp mode)

sounds like this thing is awesome, only thing holding me back is CFW and emulators that take full advantage of hardware (not in psp mode)

For the first time, I'm actually *not* planning on hacking mine at all, simply so I can use all the online features. They've really done a stellar job with all of that, in my opinion (PSN store with ALL Vita games on it, cross-game voice chat, etc). :)

One of the only things that that really irks me so far is that lots of the functionality seems to be needlessly broken up into separate apps. For example, there are SEPARATE apps for PSN friends, sending messages to friends, and voice chat with friends. Making one app with all this functionality seems like a no-brainer. :\

Still though, lots of developers are doing really cool things. Unit 13, for example, sends out a daily challenge for you to try out. And I'm loving the asynchronous multiplayer for games like Motorstorm, or Hustle Kings.

Anyway, my point is I'd hate to lose all that stuff by using a custom firmware and/or some other kind of hack.

If they ever hack this thing, look out. This would be a classic gamers dream machine for sure. Horse power, front and rear touchscreen, very nice d-pad, dual analog sticks,shoulder buttons, a monster machine. I would really like to see it happen at some point, but later on maybe around the 5 year mark. That way, Sony can hopefully make a good go at it, and not have there lame excuse of piracy keeping the Vita from success.

Chris

For the first time, I'm actually *not* planning on hacking mine at all, simply so I can use all the online features. They've really done a stellar job with all of that, in my opinion (PSN store with ALL Vita games on it, cross-game voice chat, etc). :)
Just curious, were there problems with the PSP's CFWs that didn't let you use certain online features? I didn't use many, admittedly, but I was able to go on the PSN store and download the UMD Passport software and even play MHP3 over AdHoc party.

Personally, I really do hope there are hacks for this thing. Not for piracy, mind you... just as Jumpman pointed out as all its killer features, imagine what homebrew devs could do with this thing. :) Some of my favorite functionality came from putting CFW on my PSPs, like letting me use it as a game controller for my PC, or taking screenshots of games, and so on. It even allowed me to create my first complete, working piece of software. :lol: I would love to see these happen on my Vita someday.

Just curious, were there problems with the PSP's CFWs that didn't let you use certain online features? I didn't use many, admittedly, but I was able to go on the PSN store and download the UMD Passport software and even play MHP3 over AdHoc party.

Personally, I really do hope there are hacks for this thing. Not for piracy, mind you... just as Jumpman pointed out as all its killer features, imagine what homebrew devs could do with this thing. :) Some of my favorite functionality came from putting CFW on my PSPs, like letting me use it as a game controller for my PC, or taking screenshots of games, and so on. It even allowed me to create my first complete, working piece of software. :lol: I would love to see these happen on my Vita someday.

Well I'm not just referring to the PSP. Historically, to use online features (whether it be the PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360 or PSP) such as an online store, some multiplayer features, etc, you have to be on the latest version of that system's software. This usually means giving up any hack that you had in order to upgrade the system software. For example, if you went online with a hacked Xbox, there was a reasonable chance that you could get banned from Xbox Live. Same for PS3 with PSN, and I don't think you can get on PSN with a PSP on outdated firmware.

I do agree that it would be awesome to see what kind of emulators and homebrew would be possible on the vita, though. :)

I actually only hacked my PSP last year, and I owned well over 60+ games when I finally did, but I have never actually tried to go online with mine. I always assumed it would be something like wermy described, like getting banned or something.

But, where as the PS3 and 360 make you go thru their networks to provide online services, I believe the PSP functioned on it's own where online gaming was concerned(at least early on). Hell, it took Sony 2-3+ years to finally allow the PSP to directly download from PSN. Originally you had download to the PS3 and then transfer stuff over. I never remember having to sign in to PSN unless I wanted to access the store or download a demo, which was of no use once I hacked it anyway, and when I finally did hack my unit, I'm sure most online communities where DOA anyways.

If the Vita does get hacked early on, I'd probably have to have 2 separate units(1 for retail games, and 1 for homebrew). Not a big deal really, because at 250 this could replace several devices once hacked, so a real bargin with all things considered. A pipe dream at the moment though.

Chris

If the Vita does get hacked early on, I'd probably have to have 2 separate units(1 for retail games, and 1 for homebrew). Not a big deal really, because at 250 this could replace several devices once hacked, so a real bargin with all things considered. A pipe dream at the moment though.

Yup, this is probably what I'd wind up doing. :)

There was a "simple" hack done recently through the PSP emulator, though it doesn't really allow for much. I can't remember where I read it, but it took advantage of the buffer overflow in a certain game. Didn't allow access to the Vita itself, though. Just the emulated PSP.

@Jourdy288

I've seen at least one shown and mentioned, though one report said it wouldn't be released at the moment for fear Sony would patch it early.

@Wermy

I understand what you mean now. I suppose I never really had a problem with the PSP connectivity since I only recently started needing to use PSN for anything. Haven't been booted from PSN with my hacked firmware yet, tho! :p (quickly knocks on wood)

I just finished Uncharted GA, and my original review of 9/10 stands firm.

A really great game, that I greatly enjoyed. I would say it is my current fave of the series. I'm still playing part 3, and I'm current'y 2 chapters away from the ending, but this was more my cup of tea and kept me more interested along the way.

I'm actually playing it again, and trying to find all of the treasures and hidden items, which I only ever tried to do after I finished U1.

My current series ratings........GA>U1>U2>U3. I will say part 3 has much better acting and longer character dialog scenes, and the huge set pieces are cool, but I prefer the more back to basics of GA.

Chris

Back