SONY PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)

Overall, it seems like a gimmick at this point, and I don't like the forced nature of it (front or back). A lot of places the touch screens are used would have felt more natural with buttons. I'm not a fan of having to take my hands off the buttons to do things, and the unit isn't exactly a lightweight. Good thing I have a wrist strap on it! :lol:

I despise the lack of control alternative to the touch screen. You should be able to use the analogue sticks in the browser, for example... or, god forbid, even the freakin' menu of Golden Abyss.

This is all software stuff, though, so hopefully it will be fixed as both Sony, and their developers, get to grips with having both Touch/Real Controls at their disposal and use them both wisely.

That wrist strap sounds wise on these, its only a matter of time before some poor sod flaps his PSV out his hands by slapping the back panel too hard entering a command.

I cant imagine that back sensor being any good as buttons really, not when you have a perfect set of physical buttons anyway.

I was thinking like Pinball paddles, but the shoulder buttons are probably better suited.

I personally imagine its use for gestures and pan/zooming being where this comes into its own.... but im sure someone will come up with a clever use for it ive not even considered.

that pinch game though, pinching the sprites from both back panel and on the front touch screen... sounds awkward, a bit pointless, and perfect for causing it to slip from your grip and smash to bits.

wow this game looks amazing.

I have a PS3, but way too many games..so I probably won't buy it. The Vita, overall, looks really pretty cool...but I barely play my 3DS. Actually, highly considering selling my DS/3DS and PS3 because I can play on my GP2X on the bus, and computer when I'm home.

What'd be kinda cool is if there was a version of this game for the open pandora. The concept itself is cool.

These are a great series eh ... I used to play the first couple Motorstorms on PS3, top racer games they are.

This one will no doubt be a great racer too

These are a great series eh ... I used to play the first couple Motorstorms on PS3, top racer games they are.

The thing that I really like is, not so much the racing part, but the sandbox just driving around. I'm not a huge fan of racing, TBH...but sandbox, "playtime" kinda games are a big thing for me. e.g. minecraft, garry's mod, and to a little lesser degree GTA series.

Kinda offtopic, but does anything like this exist for either the old consoles (something playable on the open pandora) or exist as a project for the pandora? Getting mine in a few weeks, and would really enjoy this kind of game.

The thing that I really like is, not so much the racing part, but the sandbox just driving around. I'm not a huge fan of racing, TBH...but sandbox, "playtime" kinda games are a big thing for me. e.g. minecraft, garry's mod, and to a little lesser degree GTA series.

Kinda offtopic, but does anything like this exist for either the old consoles (something playable on the open pandora) or exist as a project for the pandora? Getting mine in a few weeks, and would really enjoy this kind of game.
Super skidmarks on amiga

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qDA0nODCXqo?feature=oembed

TDT I know what you mean, I'm like that with the gta games I prefer to free roam the sandbox rather than accept missions.

Again off original topic sorry but have you played GTI Club on arcade?

I used to play the coin op and I also have it on ps3, it's easily my most played ps3 game... anyone want to battle me on bombtag some day let me know.

I don't know if that's available on Pandora via mame or something? Would be excellent if it is.

id recommend you check it on YT if you never played it back in 90s

Also it was apparently a pioneer in free roam games as per wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTI_Club

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall, it seems like a gimmick at this point, and I don't like the forced nature of it (front or back). A lot of places the touch screens are used would have felt more natural with buttons. I'm not a fan of having to take my hands off the buttons to do things, and the unit isn't exactly a lightweight. Good thing I have a wrist strap on it! :lol:

I despise the lack of control alternative to the touch screen. You should be able to use the analogue sticks in the browser, for example... or, god forbid, even the freakin' menu of Golden Abyss.

This is all software stuff, though, so hopefully it will be fixed as both Sony, and their developers, get to grips with having both Touch/Real Controls at their disposal and use them both wisely.
I completely agree.

I also contribute this crap to Sony trying to compete with the iphone/smarthphone markets, as these devices have no physical controls, and the majority of consumers have one, but this is where Sony is completely clueless. Your device has BOTH, use them. Some people like all touch, some folks like scrolling menus using a d-pad or analog stick. I'm getting used to the touch screen only aspect, but there is no good reason to not have both made availible to everyone. This is why they released the Vita.....To offer proper gaming controls. If I wanted all touch screen, I would still be using my crappy ipod touch.

The worst game I ever used that was guilty of this shit was Punch Out on the Wii! It used the wiimote turned sideways like a classic nes controller. D-pad and 2+1 button controls. Then inbetween rounds, they force you to point the damn controller at the screen to use the on screen menus, WTF?! This is possibly the dumbest shit I have seen in 30+ years of video gaming(no kidding).

I'm already holding the controller sideways to use the d-pad and buttons, now I have to turn the controller back and forth everytime I win/lose a match just to negoitiate 2 or 3 options on screen. Now my 6 year old son has no problem doing something like this, and for the most part, I see no reason to ever use the pointer in a game like that, but please just give the option. There is no reason not to, except for these companies trying to force touch screen or motion controls down our throats. Complete and utter BS!

Chris

this is the main reason I don't plan on buying a vita. All the games for it seem very smartphone-ish.

this is the main reason I don't plan on buying a vita. All the games for it seem very smartphone-ish.

Hm, I have to say I disagree with this almost completely. Escape Plan does seem smartphone-ish (almost like it was intended to be a smartphone game in the first place or something), but most every other game I've played has seemed very much like a console experience, which is why I like the Vita so much.

I mean, come on: Uncharted, Wipeout, Super Stardust, Rayman, Katamari, Mutant Blobs, Unit 13, Lumines, Ninja Gaiden... I could list even more, but NONE of those that I mentioned would work well (if at all) on a touchscreen device. And it's only been out worldwide for a couple weeks! :)

katamari looks completely like a smartphone game, wipeout seems smartphoneis(im gonna take that one back before i get too much heat from it, as i know that it has a following), you yourself have pretty much released super stardust on the iphone....mutant blobs has got to be a port from smartphone...right? same with Lumines

katamari looks completely like a smartphone game, wipeout seems smartphoneish, you yourself have pretty much released super stardust on the iphone....mutant blobs has got to be a port from smartphone...right? same with Lumines

Ah you're right, Super Stardust was probably a bad example. :D Even so, while I feel my version controls well for an iOS game, it's definitely much better using the iCP or the Joypad app as a controller.

Katamari started out on the PS2 (and has had two horrible iOS releases), Wipeout has been around since the PS1 (I really don't see what could be considered "smartphoneish" about Wipeout, as the Vita version is every bit as nice as the PS3 version), Mutant Blobs started as a PS3 game on the Playstation Network (no smartphone version that I know of.. I don't think it would control well - I haven't played a single platformer that worked well with touchscreen controls), and Lumines started on the PSP (though there was an iPhone release, which was, again, horrible).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "smartphoneish." I'm mostly referring to the depth of the gameplay, and ability to control it.

i dont know...the games just seem smartphone-ish to me for some reason....like cubic ninja is for the 3ds. seriously, why release this on 3ds?

Are there some statistics for how the West sales compare to the Japan situation yet?
I think Japan's holiday sales where about equal to the rest of the worlds Feb. 22 release numbers. About 1.4 million total sales as of last week(worldwide). They should have release the Vita in America and the Uk during the holidays, and sales would have been a lot better. But they bet their money on Japan and got better PSP sales than Vita, what a waste of time.

Chris

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels badly toward the touch screen nature of a lot of these games. Perhaps a public outcry will change things, but if Motorstorm RC is any indication it might just be down to the developer not being smart enough (or having enough time, though that seems unlikely) to put both touch and button control in. I just loaded MRC on my Vita tonight, and while most of the menus seem to use some form of touch screen support, the game is, for the most part, control-only. No tilt here! It even gives you just two control options, and they're both analog stick-based. The only touch screen game control I would (maybe) have liked to have seen in a game like this is drive-to-cursor, where the car would drive to the point your finger touches the screen, but lacking this kind of option is no problem to me! :lol:

@ DaMummy

It's funny you should mention all those games seem smartphone-like. Out of all the ones you mentioned, none of them were originally from smartphones. On the other hand, you have games like Asphalt Injection and Dungeon Hunter Alliance that were from smartphones. Haven't played either one, but the demo of Asphalt 5 on my phone was terrible, and Dungeon Hunter Alliance didn't get very positive reviews (and I really, really wanted a dungeon crawler...!). I do agree with the way you're thinking, tho. If they're going to make games that seem like smartphone games, what's the point of paying $250 for a console that has physical buttons and controls just to play touch screen games? Thankfully it seems like on the Vita the touch screen is a gimmick, not a requirement, converse to smartphone games where the touch screen is pretty much the only common denominator across every phone. I just hope developers will figure that out early-on.

Where I think touch screens would excel in games are mainly on menu systems or places where "aiming" with a finger would be better than doing the same with an analog stick and cursor (though, as Uncharted has shown, using the tilt controls to aim while sniping works kinda nice, too). For example, the in-game item use for Monster Hunter takes some getting used to, but in the end I feel it works better than taking your hands off the controls to touch an item*. However, if you were arranging your box or setting up for a quest, having a touch screen would be more than ideal.

Edit:

@ SONY

Not terribly surprising, considering the pricing. A lot of people scoffed at the price, especially since the other DS's were cheaper, still readily-available, and had a full library of games. Where Nintendo possibly failed the 3DS's launch (price aside) is that many people were under the impression that it was yet another DS incarnation, as opposed to a whole new system with backwards compatibility. Proof of this is what I heard from a lot of people who weren't in-the-know: "I already have a DS. Why do I need another one?" Now that it's $150, more parents would be willing to buy one for their kid(s), and more people would be interested to "upgrade" to the 3D "revolution." I bought my 3DS for three reasons.

- Probably the easiest to hack (1st gen)

- It's f***ing glassesless 3D!!

- Dead or Alive

I've had my 3DS since the US launch. I have 2 3DS games (DoA, Rayman). I now have a Vita, and after a week, I have 5 games. I think it's safe to say the Vita is the more interesting of the two systems to me. :lol:

i guess it all does really come down to the controls. maybe what im seeing, is that most of the games released on the vita so far, look like they could easily be done on the ipad. or maybe im just close minded like that...i dunno, either way, its just my opinion

Back