[Rebirth Competition] Slackware for Pandora 13.37 release thread.

For the SD card permissions, you didn't pushed UP when creating an account.

So be root using su, the edit /etc/group , and add your username to audio cdrom floppy plugdev video power netdev .

You have to log out after that, or simply reboot.
Great. Works now.

Yup, seems wpa needs a manual edition (but i doubt it was the vpn menu ^^).

For the keyboard, try to type:

setxkbmap de

If it's the good one, then create an autolauncher in Xfce settings -> session and startup.
Doesn't solve my problem.

It makes everything even worse.

I want to change the keymapping manually.

What about LibreOffice?

Does it run well under Slackware?

I didn't really tried to install it.

May look at it soon.

Well the keybd uses the same .Xmodmap than the OP, so you just have to replace your /home/user/.Xmodmap with your custom one.

I didn't really tried to install it.

May look at it soon.

Well the keybd uses the same .Xmodmap than the OP, so you just have to replace your /home/user/.Xmodmap with your custom one.

Ok, great.

I don't have too much time to test because of my studies.

Luckily my last lesson is on wednesday this week and I can go on teting soon.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Guys,

Last weekend I found my distro for using the GNU octave on Pandora. It's Slackware! Thank you very much for all the effort you put in developing it.. in my opinion it was worth it! Linux and octave (with qtoctave installed) runs beautify on my Pandora, so once again THANKS!

In case anyone is interested I have compiled octave package which I can share so that you won't have to compile it. It took my 512MB Pandora 16hours (included only BLAS and LAPLAC libraries but it should be enough for the beginning).

Cheers,

MatiFromEarth

Hi !

Nice to read that :^).

Did you compiled using sbopkg and/or slackbuilds ?

I didn't want to make another thread but if this belongs in the support section let me know.

Basically a while back Linux-SWAT told me about slackware when I asked about being able to use a debian version of the Tor (formerly onion) browser on the pandora. Well, back then I didn't have money for a small sd card because I wanted to save up for my current 128GB sd card, which works wonderfully out of the box (save for a reformatting that took seconds).

Now I have money for 2 more much smaller sd cards, one of which I want to dedicate to slackware. But... I don't fully understand what it is. Is it like pandebian? If so then how does it differ and what can it do that pandebian cannot? From what I understand I don't need to reboot my pandora to activate pandebian, like there's a gui or something.

If I could get someone to explain simply what I can use sackware to do and what it CAN'T do, or pandebian for that matter, I would be a happy camper. I've read through this thread and it seems like there is alot that I am missing on the subject.

The way I understand how pandebian works is that it allows the debian build to boot WITH the arm build that the pandora uses. So is slackware allowing for some other kind of build to operate? I don't know if I am on the right track with this.

The purpose I want to serve with either is using specific niche programs that have not been made into pnds yet, like cheese for using my webcam with pandebian or using the tor browser, or other programs that would just be difficult for someone to mke into a pnd.

Indeed, you can launch pandebian within the OP official OS. It just add a menu with pandebian apps in it.

Slackware is a separate full Linux OS, so you have to boot the SD card in the left slot.

Both can do a lot (i mean: A LOT) of things.

I'd say it's up to you to test them and make your opinion about which suits best your usage.

For numerous reasons, i prefer myself slack, on OP and PC.

Indeed, you can launch pandebian within the OP official OS. It just add a menu with pandebian apps in it.

Slackware is a separate full Linux OS, so you have to boot the SD card in the left slot.

Both can do a lot (i mean: A LOT) of things.

I'd say it's up to you to test them and make your opinion about which suits best your usage.

For numerous reasons, i prefer myself slack, on OP and PC.

Well, could you give me a cool example of something you can do with slackware on the pandora that you can't do with Angstrom on the pandora?

A new Slackware 13.37 stable rootfs -5 is available:

http://slackware.openpandora.org/pandora/index.php?dir=sl4p%2Fsl4p-13.37%2Frootfs

It's par with Super Zaxxon final release and i fixed what i think to be the last remaining bug.

Latest kernel, latest official Pandora scripts etc...

Please, Android fanboys and fangirls, consider to try it as it's not a gadget, but simply the best Linux distribution available on the best handheld ever.

No. It's a matter of experience.
that was kind of a joke. But if you replied me this way, i guess you have factual element to prove me that slackware is the best distro.

For me Debian is the best distro around because it have a large panel of contributor, apt, it is community driven, run my NAS, my pandora (sometimes) and my desktop, apt, package selection, ... did I list apt ?

For me angstrom is the best distro for pandora as it fit on NAND so it dont requiere any SDcard to run, ipk files, it is fast, it is standard, etc

see it's a matter of taste ;)

I had endless discussions with Debian and Ubuntu users that actually never tried Slackware, and kept and kept arguing...

I'm uploading a new 13.37 -6 that includes changes from the SZ-final-final.

I also corrected a problem with the enable wifi script that annoyed me because i don't know when it happened.

I built a new -current, but the changes in xorg broke the omapfb driver. I can't compile it anymore. The few searches i made were unsuccessful.

The standard driver works but seems to use a lot of cpu.

Too bad because the overall new future Slackware is very sexy.

If someone want to take a look at omapfb on new xorg (we will have to do it anyway for the next official OS, one day or another), i can push it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is nothing but my lack of time that hasn't yet gotten me into this. Slack is one of my favourite distros.

Back