Quick summary of the last week (2011 - 02 - 01)

Umm... You know you could just order one of the ones that is garuanteed to ship within 7 days? The page is down at the moment, but the link was here.

What is this? A Pandora guaranteed to ship within seven days and it costs minutely more (in pounds) than I paid for in June 2009? Is the seller in U.S. or why the mentioned $180 extra?

@Hypnis: I paid $320, that is how much Jacquelyn said to, 216 pounds was how much it was at the time and the equated to $320, anyway I have the e-mail, it is a little confusing but when I sent the money I actually sent a few dollars extra because I didn't know if the exchange rate changed a the time.

So, for me to upgrade it would be $180, that is the price difference, do you understand now?

EDIT: The exchange rate at the time was 1 GBP = 1.4214 USD. So I sent them like $13 extra, abouts anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else find it really strange that people cancel their order when others queue jump?

To me, it's like saving up for a holiday in another part of the world that you really want to see in your lifetime. You get the money all together and book your flight long in advance and get everything sorted and then on the day your plane leaves, you're waiting in that queue to put your bags on the plane and somebody comes along who's bought a first-class ticket for around twice the price and gets to bypass this queue you've been standing in for the past half an hour and get straight on the plane. And then you decide "Well, F That!" and you pick your bags up and get your ticket refunded and TOTALLY screw yourself out of spite.

Yeah, lets not get the pandora cause of all these queue jumpers and say that its the Team's loss (I really cant understand it - if I acted like this, I'd know that I'd be the only one losing out).

I want to queue jump but back when I ordered, the exchange rate meant I paid $450 australian and now the exchange rate between australia and the US is pretty similar but I doubt I can "upgrade" for a measly $50... Still, iPhones sell for $700 over here and the Pandora is easily worth more than they are.

Does anyone else find it really strange that people cancel their order when others queue jump?

To me, it's like saving up for a holiday in another part of the world that you really want to see in your lifetime. You get the money all together and book your flight long in advance and get everything sorted and then on the day your plane leaves, you're waiting in that queue to put your bags on the plane and somebody comes along who's bought a first-class ticket for around twice the price and gets to bypass this queue you've been standing in for the past half an hour and get straight on the plane. And then you decide "Well, F That!" and you pick your bags up and get your ticket refunded and TOTALLY screw yourself out of spite.

Yeah, lets not get the pandora cause of all these queue jumpers and say that its the Team's loss (I really cant understand it - if I acted like this, I'd know that I'd be the only one losing out).

I want to queue jump but back when I ordered, the exchange rate meant I paid $450 australian and now the exchange rate between australia and the US is pretty similar but I doubt I can "upgrade" for a measly $50... Still, iPhones sell for $700 over here and the Pandora is easily worth more than they are.

Not sure your analogue holds up here as once the plane takes off both parties would arrive at the destination at the same time. The difference here would be more like saying you waited in line for 2 hours for a roller coaster and there are 1000 people ahead of you. The line moves about 20 people every 5 minutes. A person behind you slips the ride operator $150 and waits for the current ride to end then gets right on the ride. Naturally, you would be very angry. However, this move is ultimately supposed to help get people loaded onto the ride faster and eventually speed the whole line for you. But until the speedup becomes clear, there will be those who just throw up their hands and say "Enough". While you may wait less time overall, until that speedup becomes apparent, you may very well be upset that people behind you have gotten to ride before you. Especially if they just walked into the amusement park.

We all knew this would happen, but those of us who understood the move, while not necessarily happy about it, realized it was ultimately better for the project, and in return us, even if we don't perceive the speedup (some will naturally feel delayed while moves are made to initiate the speedup after all). After all this time OPT is now trying to make some headway so they can try to minimize the financial loss from delay as well as reputation of the project. Actually, I give Craig credit for taking this move as risky as it seemed to popular opinion, as it shows he will take any move necessary to make this project continue and flourish.

Not sure your analogue holds up here as once the plane takes off both parties would arrive at the destination at the same time. The difference here would be more like saying you waited in line for 2 hours for a roller coaster and there are 1000 people ahead of you. The line moves about 20 people every 5 minutes. A person behind you slips the ride operator $150 and waits for the current ride to end then gets right on the ride. Naturally, you would be very angry. However, this move is ultimately supposed to help get people loaded onto the ride faster and eventually speed the whole line for you. But until the speedup becomes clear, there will be those who just throw up their hands and say "Enough". While you may wait less time overall, until that speedup becomes apparent, you may very well be upset that people behind you have gotten to ride before you. Especially if they just walked into the amusement park.

We all knew this would happen, but those of us who understood the move, while not necessarily happy about it, realized it was ultimately better for the project, and in return us, even if we don't perceive the speedup (some will naturally feel delayed while moves are made to initiate the speedup after all). After all this time OPT is now trying to make some headway so they can try to minimize the financial loss from delay as well as reputation of the project. Actually, I give Craig credit for taking this move as risky as it seemed to popular opinion, as it shows he will take any move necessary to make this project continue and flourish.
Spot on. I doubt anybody loves this, but if it works as planned then nobody will lose much, maybe some will gain something out of it.

there will be those who just throw up their hands and say "Enough".

We all knew this would happen, but those of us who understood the move

I suppose you're alluding to me there, and my but that second bit is quite condescending.

FWIW I 'understand' what motivated the recent events, but there were many other factors for me.

Maybe I'll look into getting one once all the 'wrinkles' are sorted out.

@Hypnis: I paid $320, that is how much Jacquelyn said to, 216 pounds was how much it was at the time and the equated to $320, anyway I have the e-mail, it is a little confusing but when I sent the money I actually sent a few dollars extra because I didn't know if the exchange rate changed a the time.

So, for me to upgrade it would be $180, that is the price difference, do you understand now?

EDIT: The exchange rate at the time was 1 GBP = 1.4214 USD. So I sent them like $13 extra, abouts anyway.

The price for my Pandora with tv-out, extra battery, dev fund and shipping was 365.43€, or £312.63 in the Google Checkout receipt.

The 7-day Pandora costs 364.99€, with accessories (excluding dev fund and tv-out that was unlisted) it adds up to 391.74€.

In other words, the 7-day Pandora without the extra battery, tv-out and dev fund (and shipping?) costs about the same as my order 1.5 years ago.

Hell, maybe I should just cancel my order and pay ~25€ extra to jump the queue.

The price for my Pandora with tv-out, extra battery, dev fund and shipping was 365.43€, or £312.63 in the Google Checkout receipt.

The 7-day Pandora costs 364.99€, with accessories (excluding dev fund and tv-out that was unlisted) it adds up to 391.74€.

In other words, the 7-day Pandora without the extra battery, tv-out and dev fund (and shipping?) costs about the same as my order 1.5 years ago.

Hell, maybe I should just cancel my order and pay ~25€ extra to jump the queue.
I think you can upgrade, at least that is what I read when people say they got their instant Pandora. I don't think you'd get the cost of the dev fund back and you'd have to cut the accessories but a spare battery is not crucial and they don't have the tv-out so you might as well just put that off until they get them in. If I were you I'd do it if they allowed upgrades.

Hello,

I just found Pandora's website two days ago (it was recommended to me by a friend when I was complaining of Nintendo and it's Nintendo 3DS) and I have some questions to you. I hope that that's not the wrong place to ask them. Maybe I misunderstood some information (I am an austrian student).

1. Is Batch 2 already sold out?

2. Will there be another opportunity that allows me, some friends of mine and all the other people out there who missed Batch 1 and 2 respectively (depending on first question) to order a Pandora? I'm thinking of an ordinary order, not the 7-days-shipping one.

3. If not: will there be other possibilities to get one?

I hope for quick response :)

Hello,

I just found Pandora's website two days ago (it was recommended to me by a friend when I was complaining of Nintendo and it's Nintendo 3DS) and I have some questions to you. I hope that that's not the wrong place to ask them. Maybe I misunderstood some information (I am an austrian student).

1. Is Batch 2 already sold out?

2. Will there be another opportunity that allows me, some friends of mine and all the other people out there who missed Batch 1 and 2 respectively (depending on first question) to order a Pandora? I'm thinking of an ordinary order, not the 7-days-shipping one.

3. If not: will there be other possibilities to get one?

I hope for quick response :)

here is a quick response with little facts and a lot of guesses.

1. sold out -ish... (some might have canceled their order)

2. probably. but i think that the canceled orders from batch 1 & 2 will be transformed to 7 day shipping orders..

3. you can order from here (Notice that this is the second batch order page)

http://openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97&Itemid=39&lang=en

Welcome Thunder,

its a little difficult to give an exact answer but its the case that initial Pandora purchases where pre-order based to enable this rather unique project take off. Sadly a variety of delays got in the way of quickly producing units but those flaws are now solved. The original people are still waiting on units but as prices for components changed they got a free upgrade to ram and nand ram sizes.

These shipped until problems appeared. Now fixed. In the meantime the price jumped once on those wishing to join batch 2.

Now the mass production has restarted and the units are shipping again but the company has chosen to offer the instant pandoras at a hiked price to enable hiring more staff to make more units per day, which will result in faster completion of batch 1 and 2 whilst allowing new people to buy one immediately or prior pre-orderers to updgrade their order, by difference in price to recieve one faster.

The shipped within 7 working days Pandoras cost more BUT it was announced that the pre-orders for batch 2 (at the already slightly increased price) have been closed and that the new price for Pandora is $500 from now on. Although, the 7 day Pandoras at this price are supposed to be limited to perhaps just 100 units for now, there has been no official statement to say that this is not the ongoing price for new Pandora orders (as pre-orders were stated as closed),

Therefore I think a Pandora now costs $500 unless you can upgrade a previous order. So

1) Yes.

2) Probably no other opportunity for pre-orders.

3) Ebay or someone who you know who wishes to sell it.

just because the link is down doesn't mean that there are no Pandoras left.

they got linked on slashdot and engadget so they might have been overloaded..

Send a mail to be sure.

If you are from UK, within the EU or worldwide, you can order from [bROKEN LINK] or contact sales@openpandora.org

If you are from Germany or within the EU, you can order from info@openpandora.de

there will be those who just throw up their hands and say "Enough".

We all knew this would happen, but those of us who understood the move

I suppose you're alluding to me there, and my but that second bit is quite condescending.

FWIW I 'understand' what motivated the recent events, but there were many other factors for me.

Maybe I'll look into getting one once all the 'wrinkles' are sorted out.
Sorry Asmo, I did not read the whole thread, so if you canceled then I'm sorry. I could see then why you would think I was aiming at you. In all honesty, I like always was just expressing my thoughts at that moment, more in convincing myself to hang in there.

When I said we all knew this would happen, I was meaning that I highly doubt there is even one person that thought this would not cause at least one cancellation. Since you mentioned "those who understand the move" then mentioned there were many factors for you, I don't believe what I was saying really applies to you. I thought I read someone on page one who had basically said he quit because some new person could just get one while he continued to wait and that was it for him for that reason. That is what I was referring to as being at least somewhat expected.

EDIT: Now, I have no clue what we are even talking about. I had not read this thread in it's entirety and I just did a quick scan of the thread and I didn't even see a post from you. So I don't understand why you would have assumed I was referring to you.

Is there actually any news? It seems like the same conversation is being carried on over all these threads - maybe these news threads should be kept on-topic, otherwise there'll end up being hell to pay, like that time before, when CircuitCo ended up being verbally abused by people here.

Or... something.

Is there actually any news? It seems like the same conversation is being carried on over all these threads - maybe these news threads should be kept on-topic, otherwise there'll end up being hell to pay, like that time before, when CircuitCo ended up being verbally abused by people here.

Or... something.

Or we'll find a cure for cancer! You'll never know... ;)

I like these semi-offtopic discussions. They keep me busy and entertained.

Sorry Asmo

's OK, we're good :)

EDIT: Now, I have no clue what we are even talking about. I had not read this thread in it's entirety and I just did a quick scan of the thread and I didn't even see a post from you. So I don't understand why you would have assumed I was referring to you.

'Enough' (though no arm flailing)

http://pandorapress.net/2011/01/31/for-your-eyes-only/comment-page-1/#comment-19924

;)

Ah, I see. Well, I think it's safe to say when not linking to or at least mentioning a post on a completely different website, it likely isn't the intended target. Besides, If I had been referring to you, wouldn't it have served better to refer to your comment, WHERE you commented? LOL

Anyway...glad we cleared all that up. Back to our regularly scheduled insanity.

Man I am kinda fed up with all this waiting I mean if they dont start finishing these first batch pandoras they will be a laughing joke and no one will believe in them I mean you should go on the engadget website and see all those comments about the icontrol pad. I am around the 2400-2500 to get my pandora and its like all people want to know is how many completed shipped pandoras are there. I know that you got to have a list of whats been shipped and I feel kinda mad because there is a site up that you can get your pandora in 7 days for 500 dollars I thought that all the people that was there from the begining would get there order first so it doesnt take a smart guy to know that there have been a lot of cancellations of the pandora handheld but I feel that the loyal ones like me have been waiting around for this device should have gotten an email by now. I dont understand the logic of something that should have been so simple in the first place. I am speaking for the people that dont understand the current status of the pandora. I dont even get it the numbers dont make a lick of sense!!! I am still waiting for this wonder device to materialize in my hand and the more and more I look at the forums and reading other peoples responses like there are some people that ordered their pandora before me and they are in the 800's and they havent recieved their pandora! I dont understand I just dont!!! Flame me!! Talk shit!! Call me whatever you guys want!!! I am stating the obvious!!!

Back