A schedule! For real! (2011 - 02 - 28)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
You might've read it on the other thread already: We really got a schedule this time!

And we also got some more information about the whole process - for the very first time from CC!

It seems like it was a good idea to hire the new guy, he seems to know what he's doing and tries to bring order into the Pandora chaos ;)

He apologized for any inconveniences we had so far as well and he hopes to be able to repair our confidence with CircuitCo - that's something that sounds good to me!

Additionally, CircuitCo has increased the personnel and doubled the amount of machines they have, to increase production speed.

He analyzed the situation and told us what the bottleneck in the Pandora production is - after all, they thought they can do 500 a week at the beginning, which certainly isn't possible.

He wants to help us improve to improve the last remaining issues in the future, so that the production should really be faster and more reliable.

Okay, back to what's most interesting to you, their schedule!

Starting from March 4th, there will be a weekly shipment of boards. They start with lower numbers in the first few weeks and slowly increase the output.

Until early April, the next 1100 boards should've been produced and shipped.

They also have a pile of board that failed directly after production which they will start to work on and resurrect the boards. As it is unknown yet what failures they have, it's impossible to tell how long that will take.

And while CC are producing and working on failed boards, we're also working on the units we got here. I still have 60 units here to ship and about 20 to check if they have any failures.

The same goes for Craigs team - there are boards with broken nubs or other failures waiting to be sorted out, tested and packed up.

Hopefully, this will be the end of the unknown - our new contact person at CC told us he wants to stay in close communication with us. This would be something new, and I'd really be happy if that would really happen!

Bloody great news EvilDragon, and the apology is a nice thing to hear from CC. This was more worth it than staying up for the Oscars, that's for sure. Just out of curiosity, especially since I think I may unfortunately just miss out with the next 1100 boards, does the schedule extend further to all the remaining boards for Batch 1? Either way, if it's going to schedule by then, it'll probably be mid-April by the time I receive mine (est. 2200-2300, Oct 15 2009).

Thanks for the update, and your additions to the openpandora.org site, look great. (I think Craig's actual ordering page needs a bit of clarity on including and excluding tax prices though).

That's great news ED! Glad to hear they're being more professional over there at CC. Anxious to see more Pandora users. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew my number :( I was told by an email a month or so ago I got pushed to the end of batch 1 since a lot of people cancelled when I ordered from batch 2. But everyone knows their number when I know nothing, am I at the exact end?

Also I do not like the idea of trying to fix the broken boards, it could lead to more problems and people returning their Pandora's for fixes n such, this project has had enough problems to last a century.

Am I the only one that realises that this means "another 2 months!". Jeez. This isn't good news. This is

"bad news with style". FFS

It needs about 300 Pandorae on EvilDragons Place until my unit, this means about 1000 Boards, but Craig has some Boards allready..

Meybe i should upgrade, but i dont know

But good news

EDIT: 25 Days until the 3DS arives, meybe 2 Weeks until the Pandora Board is assembled, no problem..

I heard a lot of "good" news in the last 1.5+ years, and I'm a bit tired to follow all new posts concerning production status. Further, I know my (Craig) queue position, but since I don't know how many Pandoras have been shipped by which store, this information is not really useful. Introducing the Premium Pandora does not make it more transparent as well.

ED, could you please do us (long time) waiters a favor ?

Please publish the shipped number of Pandoras from each shop on a (regular) weekly basis !

I think this should be possible and would help me to get an idea about the progress. As I already said, right now I have to follow countless posts. And yes, I know the current status page, but it's only a very high level summary.

Nice homepage update, GJ! :rolleyes: Also, thanks for info!

Can anybody help me, I tried to ask Jacquelyn what is my number-in-line but he don't know..

i'm ordered from sales@openpandora.org Oct 24, 2010 please tell me something about my number?

Also I do not like the idea of trying to fix the broken boards, it could lead to more problems and people returning their Pandora's for fixes n such, this project has had enough problems to last a century.

It makes good sense to try to fix the broken boards, for a number of reasons.

• Fixing the broken boards means identifying what went wrong. This information can be used to improve the production process. Less failed boards means they increase the capacity of the shipments to OPL.
  • As I understand it, CC don't get paid for boards they don't deliver, so every discard costs them money.
  • I suspect OPL have probably already paid for many of the components used, (eg nubs) so every discard where those parts are not recovered also costs OPL money.
  • If the boards can be fixed to the point where they pass all the quality control checks, that means they will have that many more boards they can include in the next shipment.

To my mind it wouldn't make sense not to try to fix the broken boards on a production run this small.

Please publish the shipped number of Pandoras from each shop on a (regular) weekly basis !

+1

It is the lack of information at the customer facing end that is causing us (as customers) problems

If there's been more cancellations, how can I find where I currently stand in the queue? Email in again?

Okay, back to what's most interesting to you, their schedule!

Starting from March 4th, there will be a weekly shipment of boards. They start with lower numbers in the first few weeks and slowly increase the output.

Until early April, the next 1100 boards should've been produced and shipped.

Do you happen to know how close that 1,100 brings it to the end of batch 1? Depending on what numbers I use, I get ~1/3, ~1/2, and maybe farther if you've shipped many in the last 2 weeks, but haven't updated the status page. Also, does that 1100 include what's shipping right now (supposed to arrive today-ish)?

Just wondering, I'm pretty much the last order in the first batch.

Well, a few weeks ago the good news was that batch 1 was expected to be completed by the end of March. Now the good news is that maybe half of batch 1 might be finished by April. I know I'm not going to get any awards for being popular by saying this, but I'm getting fed up with good news like this. Sure, it sounds promising, having a schedule though.

Would anyone like to wager that by April, we will get some more good news - that though CC couldn't keep their promises, they've made some more promises and a glossy new laminated schedule they swear by? For that company to repair the damage to their reputation they'd need to put all their machines into 24 hour a day dedicated Pandora board production.

I've got some health problems that mean my motor skills are gradually worsening. I've got notice a marked decline - meaning I have to correct my mistyped posts, and can no longer do fine soldering work. I was kind of hoping to get the Pandora while I'm still able to get some enjoyment from it, rather than frustration at making an arse of everything I want to do on it.

Lot's of things are depressing me right now, and though well meaning, this helping of good news about having to wait yet longer for my Pandora just fit's in with the rest of the crap that's happening. Sorry I'm such a miserable bastard, but I'm culturally obliged, being Scottish.

Isn't it amazing, how good news always seem to result in further delays here, seriously there is spin and SPIN :angry:

Well, a few weeks ago the good news was that batch 1 was expected to be completed by the end of March. Now the good news is that maybe half of batch 1 might be finished by April.

+1

It is the lack of information at the customer facing end that is causing us (as customers) problems

+2

How about some more details ongoing?
+3

Back