Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

supertux2 is going to need some optimization of controls and some video optimizations to run well. I am getting 8-25 fps on it though, so - playable as proof of concept anyway. Before anyone goes bashing on it, Supertux2 can make my sons Sony Vaio 17" 8 core 16GB RAM with Nvidia graphics 'desktop replacement laptop' lag under some of the more intense user generated levels. The game is far more 'beneath the skin' than most of us would suspect looking at what at first appears to be a 'Mario clone".

That's interesting - I have found it to be very playable (probably at least 40-50fps) except for when water is visible and then it slows down to the 15-20fps mark. I don't know if that is just an inefficiency in the game, or perhaps a weak spot in the GPU/driver/gl4es.

I am not sure if gl4es will actually be setup as the default system wide as I've seen some desktop stuff behave a bit strangely with it in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It is more likely that things will follow the Pandora, and stuff that needs OpenGL rather than GLES will add gl4es to LD_LIBRARY_PATH inside their dbp launch script.
That will limit the usefullness of "apt" repo then. But again, maybe it's better to have rebuilt optimized port for the OpenGL stuff (mainly games)

Yeah, there are only a handful of OpenGL games in the repo that work at a decent speed with gl4es anyway, and the size of many games mean they may be better off on an SD card too.

That will limit the usefullness of "apt" repo then. But again, maybe it's better to have rebuilt optimized port for the OpenGL stuff (mainly games)
I personally do not mind having to export things. But that's just me.

More candy. My videos are uploading fairly low res, sorry about that. I'll try to figure out what's up with that for the next one. @EvilDragon is the real video master here :)

Hey ToastBucket, try screen recording using "kazam", it will give better video quality compared to camera.

Grench, a tip to make your life easier:

apt-cache search name-of-whatever

... will usually give you the name of the package that contains the command / binary.

Hope that helps.
or just "apt search name-of-whatever" the apt command has improved a bit over the years. can install and search from the single command.
I add apt-file search to find any file, not just binaries, in any package of the repository, dpkg -S apply only on installed packages.
apt-file wasn't installed by default on my distribution, it's especially useful to find a package which contains a missing header file when compiling.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll give that a shot. We'll see how it goes on the Pyra.
Yes kazam will eat some cpu cycles. But it should be fine, pyra seems to have more power then my current laptop. I am able to use kazam with libreoffice or firefox on my laptop. Firefox and Libreoffice takes little more time to start on my laptop compared to pyra, and I use the same debian with cwm (even less bloat). I use it to record lectures ( we do online lectures due to lockdown with schools still closed).

True, but on my Pandora I could use the scroll bars using touch or the d-pad to scroll firefox. Looks like on the pyra you can scroll using touch practically anywhere on the webpage, and the right nub is also currently configured as a scroll wheel. I'm not sure how that last one will last; AIUI the default was going to simulate the Pandora more closely, which had only mouse buttons on three ordinals of the right nub.

Yes, the Nubs are Clickable, im maybe technical not the best user, but i can remember that this time whe have Clickable Nubs ^^ (And also everything else from the good stuff whe dreamed our whole Nerd Live (4 Shoulderbuttons, Iuminated Keyboard... )..

I dont have that much devices that got clickable Nubs, only the PS2 Controller, the XBOX 360 Gamepad for Windows, the XBOX ONE Gamepad and the Switch, and a Iluminated Keyboard was only something i had on my OLD "Dumpphones", ,
Ditnt miss this Feature on my Computers as i Type Blind whit 10 Fingers, so i ditnt have to look at my Keyboard, unless i need some extra Buttons like %§")?, but as the Pyra isnt that 10 Finger Type Friendly, a Keyboard whit Light is pretty cool..

That's interesting - I have found it to be very playable (probably at least 40-50fps) except for when water is visible and then it slows down to the 15-20fps mark. I don't know if that is just an inefficiency in the game, or perhaps a weak spot in the GPU/driver/gl4es.

I'm still getting pretty chug-chug type game play with relatively low fps. I fiddled with it a bit more this morning. I am getting a few warnings in the terminal that I launch it from.

[WARNING] /build/supertux-IXAzsJ/supertux-0.6.0/src/video/video_system.cpp:52 Error creating GLVideoSystem-330core, using GLVideoSystem-20 fallback: shader/shader330.frag: Shader compile failed: Compile failed.
ERROR: 0:14: 'shader in & out declarations' : requires language version 130
ERROR: main() function is missing.
ERROR: 2 compilation errors. No code generated.
/build/ri3wsegl-pyra-0.5/dri3_ws.c:843: WSEGL_SwapControlInterval: WSEGL_SwapControlInterval

/build/dri3wsegl-pyra-0.5/dri3_ws.c:843: WSEGL_SwapControlInterval: WSEGL_SwapControlInterval 1

[WARNING] /build/supertuxx-IXAzsJ/supertux-0.6.0/src/supertux/sector.cpp:221 [levels/misc/menu.stl] Tried spawning Tux in solid matter. Compensating.
LIBGL: Shuting down

I was running:
supertux2 --show-fps -g 640x360
The idea was to cut down on the rendering to see if I could boost speed. It used the bottom left 1/4 of the screen - apparently there isn't scaling up to full screen for 1/4 resolution yet. This improved things a bit - but not as much as I'd hoped for. Maybe I'm getting less out of the CPU on my prototype than you are on your production unit? Not sure.

I suspect that there is still something not quite the same between your build and mine - which is okay. I don't want to distract you further. This was a solid proof of concept and we did find a few minor bugs along the way.

Thank you for your help!

Back