Pictures, Videos and thoughts of a Pyra dev-prototype

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
1) How do the keyboard mappings work when X is not running? Does the Pyra use udev? In particular, if I'm working in a Linux console / Linux virtual terminal on a Pyra, where will the key mappings be configured?

2) Are the function-shifted keys mapped to specific scancodes by the Pyra hardware, or are they sent to the OS untranslated along with the (meta?) modifier? In the thread above, the responses suggested they are not mapped in hardware and, furthermore, that they are only mapped by xmodmap. If these responses are correct, how is a Pyra user to use a Linux console / Linux virtual terminal? For example, if they want to type a semicolon how will they do so? They'll type Fn-, and nothing will happen, or they'll get a comma entered instead of the semicolon they wanted.
1) For this to happen, one have to have getty process running which is not the case currently I think. But the answer is nope, not yet
2) all you said here is correct.
For both points, that my next project... once I finish with all these math headeaches :D

sebt3

Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
If these responses are correct, how is a Pyra user to use a Linux console / Linux virtual terminal?
Ok, I've converted the modmap to a xkb keymap configuration. Then I've used ckbcomp to convert this to a console keymaping file (using: ckbcomp -layout pyra -variant pyra>tmpkeys) I can then load this file using loadkeys and everything (but accents and a-like) are working as expected. I just dont know where to put that file on xD

_jr_

Advanced Member
Doesn't dpkg reconfigure console-setup (or something like that) do most of the magic after having the xkb layout available?

sebt3

Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
as aTc added askarus script for sceen and keyboard brightness, I toyed a bit with that today. From the bright most to the darker settting (well there's a level bellow : off)

Beside these little shots, I've opened the bottom part of my pyra too as I promised. I took the cpu board off, removed the main board took a pict and put everything into place. easy as cake. and the device is still working. I think there's no way to make all this any easier. great job ED you're building the most user servicable handheld in the world... and by a huge margin !

sebt3

Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
What's this wire for? Just curious
As I said a number of time, my board is from an old revision that was a little buggy. That's an hns' fix for this board. The fix is now part of the new board revision.
It's just cheaper (and faster) to fix old boards manually like this to send to devs (like me) than order a new batch of boards

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
IIRC also, ED has improved the layout of LEDs under the keyboard to give a more even distribution of light - yours it quite off on a number of keys which is especially visible when you set the keyboard backlight to minimum (above off, presumably). It's still functional, but it's a step from pretty, but as I say I think ED has improved that since your prototype.

Also, I have a hummingboard SBC with a similar set of connectors joining CPU board to the one with all of the connectors on, and I had a bit of trouble getting that lined up. When I first received the board when I wasn't sure if I'd burned the OS properly, wasn't sure if the HDMI cables I was using were still good, and wasn't sure if I'd attached the CPU board properly it took a few days of tinkering to get all of those variables down pat.

Robert Taylor

So this thing not only has backlit keyboard but adjustable brightness? Holy f. Most projects like this always miss the little bits and pieces of the usability experience. I am so impressed at ED getting something as small as this right.

Noice.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Has anyone with a dev board done any basic testing of the internal microSDXC card slot, eMMC, left SDXC, right SDXC, USBotg, left USB 2.0, right USB 2.0? Do those all work yet? Did I miss where someone reported back on them?

sebt3

Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Has anyone with a dev board done any basic testing of the internal microSDXC card slot, eMMC, left SDXC, right SDXC, USBotg, left USB 2.0, right USB 2.0? Do those all work yet? Did I miss where someone reported back on them?
The left sdcard slot is where we all have the OS so this one surely works :D
Right slot work. While it's not obvious how to install a microSD in it's slot, it works too. I've used all the usb port and they all work. The only thing I cannot answer is the eMMC since I've no idea how to acces it

Grench

Forum Addict!
The left sdcard slot is where we all have the OS so this one surely works :D
Right slot work. While it's not obvious how to install a microSD in it's slot, it works too. I've used all the usb port and they all work. The only thing I cannot answer is the eMMC since I've no idea how to acces it
All good news - thank you!

Have you tried to boot from the internal microSD?

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
Is it my impression or when you change display brightness, it also changes in the keyboard ?

PowerGod

Hardcore Member
you can set both independently. The 2nd screenshot show low screen brightness with high keyboard brightness
Ah, missed that, cool, anyway even with a single setting for both I would be happy, as far as there is an ON/OFF switch for keyboard

Grench

Forum Addict!
It may be silly, but I only see using off (there is adequate ambient light) and minimum-ish (dark environment) on the keyboard.

Screen brightness is far more nuanced to lighting conditions.