Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

Grench

Forum Addict!
The ldd command I mentioned a few posts up is a good way to check that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set up correctly.
# ldd /usr/games/supertux2

Took me a bit to find the right line in the output.
libGL.so.1 => /home/grench/gl4es/libGL.so.1 (0xb664d000)

Grench

Forum Addict!
That looks good, I would now expect supertux2 to work properly.
grench@Marble:/usr/games$ supertux2

Slide show with errors:
LibGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to retrieve device information
LibGL error: unable to load driver: omapdrm_dri.so
LibGL error: driver pointer missing
LibGL error: failed to load driver: omapdrm

Hmm. Where should omapdrm_dri.so be?

daveshah

I see a change between # and $, export and running supertux2 should all be in the same terminal.

omapdrm_dri.so does not exist and is a sign that the wrong libGL is still being used.

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member
Grench, just so someone answers, the export command just crates a path in the current terminal session that you are running to those two locations separated by a : character.

The paths created:

/opt/omap5-sgx-ddk-um-linux/lib/
/home/grench/gl4es

When you run a program from that session (the terminal it self) that needs resources from those folder sit will look there. Did you run tux or whatever app from the terminal session in which you ran the export command?

Remember, if you close down the terminal you loose the export settings. As well, if you try to run tux2 or whatever using the applications menu (i assume you are using xfce or something), then tux2 will not be aware of the path. You literally have to run the tux2 command to start that game from the same terminal window that you input the export command.

In a shipping / production version all of this would be setup for all users on the system and you won't have to do any of that manually.

I think I have that right, I haven't looked at the instructions you are following. I hope some of that helps.

Grench

Forum Addict!
I see a change between # and $, export and running supertux2 should all be in the same terminal.

omapdrm_dri.so does not exist and is a sign that the wrong libGL is still being used.
Success. Thank you!

Still a bit slow at 1280x720 full screen, but then I have 8 other things running at the same time. I'm going to reboot and try it again. But - you found the key. I was doing all of what I saw as 'system stuff' from the root prompt and trying to launch from the user prompt.

daveshah

I am not sure if gl4es will actually be setup as the default system wide as I've seen some desktop stuff behave a bit strangely with it in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It is more likely that things will follow the Pandora, and stuff that needs OpenGL rather than GLES will add gl4es to LD_LIBRARY_PATH inside their dbp launch script.

Grench

Forum Addict!
supertux2 is going to need some optimization of controls and some video optimizations to run well. I am getting 8-25 fps on it though, so - playable as proof of concept anyway. Before anyone goes bashing on it, Supertux2 can make my sons Sony Vaio 17" 8 core 16GB RAM with Nvidia graphics 'desktop replacement laptop' lag under some of the more intense user generated levels. The game is far more 'beneath the skin' than most of us would suspect looking at what at first appears to be a 'Mario clone".

daveshah

That's interesting - I have found it to be very playable (probably at least 40-50fps) except for when water is visible and then it slows down to the 15-20fps mark. I don't know if that is just an inefficiency in the game, or perhaps a weak spot in the GPU/driver/gl4es.

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
I am not sure if gl4es will actually be setup as the default system wide as I've seen some desktop stuff behave a bit strangely with it in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It is more likely that things will follow the Pandora, and stuff that needs OpenGL rather than GLES will add gl4es to LD_LIBRARY_PATH inside their dbp launch script.
That will limit the usefullness of "apt" repo then. But again, maybe it's better to have rebuilt optimized port for the OpenGL stuff (mainly games)

daveshah

Yeah, there are only a handful of OpenGL games in the repo that work at a decent speed with gl4es anyway, and the size of many games mean they may be better off on an SD card too.

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
That will limit the usefullness of "apt" repo then. But again, maybe it's better to have rebuilt optimized port for the OpenGL stuff (mainly games)
I personally do not mind having to export things. But that's just me.

docbroke

Banned
More candy. My videos are uploading fairly low res, sorry about that. I'll try to figure out what's up with that for the next one. @EvilDragon is the real video master here :)

Hey ToastBucket, try screen recording using "kazam", it will give better video quality compared to camera.