Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

daveshah

Annoyingly, think there might actually be two lockup bugs.

The first, probably more commonly observed on the Pyra, is probably indeed charge driver related. I did notice a bit of a correlation too early on between lockups and charger events but I'm not 100% sure.

There is also the power state lockup bug. I haven't actually confirmed this affects the Pyra because I don't have JTAG yet; but as I have seen two or three lockups without a charger connected I suspect it does. So far I have mostly been debugging this one on the uEVM as JTAG is a bit less fidly, this also removes a number of drivers like the charger one from the equation which simplifies debugging.

Incidentally, you can tell if the device has actually locked up, rather than just X11 not working, by seeing if the red lid LED is still blinking.

Last edited:

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
The first, probably more commonly observed on the Pyra, is probably indeed charge driver related. I did notice a bit of a correlation too early on between lockups and charger events but I'm not 100% sure.
There's definitely some sort of hangups happening in there. I think due to the way the mutex is handled in the usb_detect function (called when IRQ or polling event occurs). The mutex wraps a large amount of logic and I2C transactions and there's a lot of action on the bus IIRC. It could be hanging waiting for other drivers on the bus to be serviced. I notice if I plug and unplug the OTG USB multiple times, often I get no events for a number of seconds, sometimes minutes. Then all of the queued work occurs at once. Its possible that there is a deadlock in here that sometimes occurs and locks up both cores forever. My rewritten driver didn't experience this bug, likely because the equivalent of the usb_detect function was much less busy. Just grabs the status and fault registers, wraps the saving of this data in a lock, and notifies the power_supply subsystem of change.

There is also the power state lockup bug. I haven't actually confirmed this affects the Pyra because I don't have JTAG yet; but as I have seen two or three lockups without a charger connected I suspect it does. So far I have mostly been debugging this one on the uEVM as JTAG is a bit less fidly, this also removes a number of drivers like the charger one from the equation which simplifies debugging.
We have JTAG on the Pyra? What controller are you using? I should probably set this up.

Grench

Forum Addict!
No, it's very useful to have this stuff beta tested before 100s of people are playing with it!

Minicom is probably going to be needed (as the wireless seems to be working, if you know the IP address it should also be possible to ssh into it.)

To find out why X11 isn't working, the output of `cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log` should be insightful. You don't need to post the whole thing, just however many lines at the end reference some kind of error or problem.
Alright. I was able to hit enter and get to a login - and log into it from command line. I have something for you from Xorg.0.log.

(II) LoadModule: "omap5"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module omap5
(EE) Failed to load module "omap5" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult theThe X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

So - any chance I'm just missing a file?

daveshah

We have JTAG on the Pyra? What controller are you using? I should probably set this up.
According to EvilDragon, it is possible to set up the pin mux so JTAG is present on the left SD slot, and an adaptor has been made that breaks that out. I don't have this adaptor yet though.

I am using an XDS100v2 clone with the uEVM (around £40) and it seems to work well with CCS.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Package xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5 is installed?
dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5
I fired up to command line to check this and ... encountered keyboard mapping errors.
Works: Fn + C = [
Works: Fn + V = ]

Fails to produce anything:
Fn + H should be | but results in nothing.
Fn + F should be { but results in nothing.
Fn + G should be } but results in nothing.

There are several other Fn layer combinations that are not resulting in characters showing up in the command line boot.

So, I'd love to run that dpkg command - but...

Who's keeping track of the list?

pyrat

Very Active Member
Sorry about that. Can you type > ? You could try
dpkg -l > out
grep xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5 out
rm out

Grench

Forum Addict!
Sorry about that. Can you type > ? You could try
dpkg -l > out
grep xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5 out
rm out
The grep of out returns nothing.

To make sure, I re-ran it then did: nano out

out has 1108 lines

I searched it with nano to see if I could find the string 'omap' in it - search wrapped, nothing.

And thank you for including the rm out to clean up. :)

pyrat

Very Active Member
OK, then the answer to jakko is package xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5 is not installed
I don't know if it should (looks like yes, but I don't know how it should be)
To install it it would be
apt install xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5
But maybe that also requires configuring files in ways that I haven't tried on this hardware and you'd be better waiting from help from someone else.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Then wait I shall.

I suspect that a lot of the issues I'm encountering may stem from disconnects between the version of the OS available for me to download and the version(s) that the devs are currently using. I'm not sure how to, 'catch up'.

Blue Shadow

Very Active Member
btw., another alternative woukld be to simply do
Code:
apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-armsoc-omap5
so you won't need pipes or special chars

Reactions: rSl

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
If I’m honest, this whole X Server thing is way too high for me^^
Do I also have to speak about X Servers, and other high technology stuff as far as I get my Pyra in September??

Can’t I not just get my Pyra, put an Card in and play Tetris??

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Grench

Forum Addict!
If I’m honest, this whole X Server thing is way too high for me^^
Do I also have to speak about X Servers, and other high technology stuff as far as I get my Pyra in September??

Can’t I not just get my Pyra, put an Card in and play Tetris??

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
The point of me struggling through the process is so that the devs working 'way too high for me' can know what the rest of us will run into.

I just happen to be in a good position to show them an example of 'stumbling in the dark'.

Grench

Forum Addict!
Looks like this part is missing:
Ahh - order of operations error then.
I did OS image - got keyboard error - installed Dave's boot to get past keyboard error - then no graphics - to this troubleshooting.

Daves boot file must require that to already be installed. Going to see if I can get it to now.

Grench

Forum Addict!
From the instructions on page 7 of the thread, my next step is glxgears.
#glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
apt install glxgears
E: Unable to locate package glxgears

So - hmm.

Robert Taylor

Very Active Member
Grench, a tip to make your life easier:

apt-cache search name-of-whatever

... will usually give you the name of the package that contains the command / binary.

Hope that helps.