Production Pyra photos/videos/thoughts thread

Silent-Hunter

Hardcore Member
I like having 2D scrolling so I definitely want my right nub to be only scroll, with clicking being left click. So I will probably want to map some key to middle mouse.

Letalis Sonus

Advanced Member
As you can see, the engineers at Mazda are quite pragmatic with the 'what if'....; the same applies here.
That's not how American law works. If something obviously stupid is being warned about in the manual, it usually means that someone actually tried that and sued the manufacturer for the caused damage. A friend of my parents used to work in a VW factory, he told me that it was very obvious which cars were going to be shipped to the US, because they were absolutely plastered with stupidly obvious warning labels.

Remember the guy who enabled speed control on his caravan and then stood up and walked into the back to make some coffee?

RZR

That's not how American law works. If something obviously stupid is being warned about in the manual, it usually means that someone actually tried that and sued the manufacturer for the caused damage. A friend of my parents used to work in a VW factory, he told me that it was very obvious which cars were going to be shipped to the US, because they were absolutely plastered with stupidly obvious warning labels.

Remember the guy who enabled speed control on his caravan and then stood up and walked into the back to make some coffee?
This is actually quoted from a EUDM mx-5; but AFAIK all mx-5/miata are assembled on Hiroshima... Maybe they made the manual for the 'peculiarities' of the USDM (or the most restrictive market) and use it for every other market. Anyway, that's one of the few examples I know of a product warning the owner not to do something because 'it was not designed for that'. You usually read 'don't do this' or 'don't do this because you will be hurt/killed'.

Back on topic, paste with middle button is useful, but I would need to use the Pyra first to see if or how it could be implemented there (or if there's need for it). Pandora users could be the ones that can answer that I suppose.

Haraldur

Very Active Member
I wonder: will Anbox work on the Pyra, do we have the required kernel modules etc.? Having never owned an Android (nor iOS) device, I am a little curious about whether it has anything, worth using, to offer.

wawrus

Still Fresh
Not sure if I shoulda started a new thread for this one: How are the folks who have production models finding the battery life with what battery/power management tuning that's been done so far (not sure where that is)?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Not sure if I shoulda started a new thread for this one: How are the folks who have production models finding the battery life with what battery/power management tuning that's been done so far (not sure where that is)?
Since the devs are still working on the battery control from a software side and the bits of the SoC that offload computation still being worked on, it is hard to say what battery life -will- be. What it is right now is ~8+ hours sitting on the desk with the screen on and about 2-3 hours doing stuff that pegs the CPU. Frankly we need a way to easily purposely throttle the CPU on a per-app basis because 150+ fps on some games like Hostile Takeover is a waste of cycles. A lot of programs are built to consume all resources available to boost frame rate - which doesn't help battery life. But, what it is now could also be seen as 'worst case' where the CPU is doing 3D, MPEG, etc instead of offloading those to specialized circuits. The software side for the 3D is in the works, I have played around with it a bit - so great progress is ongoing!

Blue Shadow

Very Active Member
Actually, the REAL old school way to copy and paste is:
ctrl + ins = copy
shift + ins = paste
Which, using those shoulder buttons and the insert (ins) small button in the right game pad is REALLY easy to do.

So, mapping any other button to 'paste' would be pretty darn redundant.
There are definitely people that prefer middle clicking over [ctrl]+v/[ins] on the desktop and don't consider it redundant. I don't see why those people would change that opinion on the pyra(Is a shoulder button that much more convenient than a fullsize [ctrl]-button?). IMHO it's situational and maybe a matter of taste - but not redundant, as it's clicking once+pressing 2 buttons vs just clicking once.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Yes, the 4G capable units have an accelerometer in them, I think. I don't think it literally comes as part of the pls8 mobile chipset thoguh, that apparently gives us cellular access and GPS/GLONASS. There must be another chip that gives us barometer and accelerometers. I was looking to check if they're six axis or merely three.

Edit: Yes, it's six axis. We also have along with the barometer a relative hygrometer which I didn't know about before. Now the unit can tell better if you're outdoors or indoors, at least where you have some kind of air conditioning.

Last edited:

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I don't see why those people would change that opinion on the pyra(Is a shoulder button that much more convenient than a fullsize [ctrl]-button?). IMHO it's situational and maybe a matter of taste - but not redundant, as it's clicking once+pressing 2 buttons vs just clicking once.
But the ctrl button is under the finger or your hand assuming your holding the unit and thumb-typing. If you've got it on the desk and typing you need to find the physical ctrl key and use that with the insert key so it costs the same as ctrl+c or +v and more than middle click if we've got one, but if you're thumbtyping (I did all of my typing on my Pandora handheld for reference), then it just requires you to select one of two buttons with your fingers and to find the smaller insert key in the gaming controls and chord them together. I'm certainly glad that I learned about ctrl+ and shift+ins because that actually works across bash and my browser, so I don't have the problem of constantly bringing up the firefox inspector when I'm trying to copy text out of my browser.

docbroke

Banned
For copy, paste I find autocutsel particularly useful. It is in Debian repos. On my laptop autocutsel is configured to keep primary selection and clipboard in sync, so there is no need for Ctrl+C, anything selected (primary buffer) is automatically copied to clipboard, and can be pasted with either shift+insert or Ctrl(+shift)+v