Pocketsnes Version 3

For what it is worth I never had the emu lock up on me (except for the games that don't work like Actraiser). I always play with sound on, and I am running FW 2.0. The only bug I have had is the sound loudness seems to shift back and forth between left and right speakers randomly after awhile.

For what it is worth I never had the emu lock up on me (except for the games that don't work like Actraiser). I always play with sound on, and I am running FW 2.0. The only bug I have had is the sound loudness seems to shift back and forth between left and right speakers randomly.

Hey reesy, talking about release 4, what do you plan for the new release? Do you think this emulator can be pushed to fullspeed (or close)? do you have new groundbreaking features, or simple bugfixes/speed improvements?
Whatever, i admire your work (and also all the other coders work) and wish I could do the same :)

EDIT : by the way, I tried TV Out, it looks OK for me on the few games I tried! But as said, some games like the Secret of Mana 3 french translation don't work (only shows 1 letter out of 2 in config menues, or half of a letter in dialog boxes)
I have a a little feature to request : more accessible quicksave/quickload would be very cool ;) I love picodrive system (one trigger to save, the other to load) but unfortunately it's impossible on SNES, but what about a combo, or simply a direct link in the menu to save on the actual state, instead of menu> savestates>save>select slot ?

EArly suggestion : vol+ + vol- + left/right trigger to save/load, vol+ + vol- + start for menu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some freezes as well.

Played SimCity twice and it had a freeze every time.
settings:

Sound ON
Sound Rate 8250
CPU speed 240
Frameskip Auto
Transparencies: ON

Played Uniracer a lot with almost the same settings (only Transparencies: OFF) and it never crashed on me.

[Edit] I am running Firmware 2.1.1

i have the stereo bug as well. i think it's a firmware 2.0 issue. not totally sure though, i think i read that on here somewhere.

re: savestates -- I prefer them how they're handled now, in a menu. I'd hate to accidentally hit the wrong key combo (which I can never remember) and accidentally wipe a save game. It doesn't take long to go to the menu to save.

re: savestates -- I prefer them how they're handled now, in a menu. I'd hate to accidentally hit the wrong key combo (which I can never remember) and accidentally wipe a save game. It doesn't take long to go to the menu to save.

There's no problem since Picodrive ask for confirmation if you are going to overwrite to a saved game. SNES can do the same :) and if you don't wan't to use shortcuts, you don't have to use shortcuts (don't tell me you often hit vol+ vol- triggers accidentally at the same time? :ph34r: )
As for me (and probably many others), I'm often using savestates, especially in difficult parts, something like saving every 30sec :) (i'm laaammee i know ;) )

Just played SimCity again with minimal settings and it had a freeze again after a couple of minutes playing.

Sound OFF
Sound Rate 8250
CPU speed 230
Frameskip Auto
Transparencies: OFF

I guess it's a problem that happens in some games.

@ reiboul I agree with GunPei2X, the savestate handling from Pocketnes is great and doesn't need any change. Of course there's only one person that decides :)

Great work, just one quick suggestion could you please change the path of the saves roms like on DrMDx where inside the main folder of the emulator you have another folder for saved states, because at the moment they are all dumped in the main folder of the emulator which kinda clutters things no biggie just though you should let you know. Thanks for your work again amazing speed compared to other emulators.

Great work, just one quick suggestion could you please change the path of the saves roms like on DrMDx where inside the main folder of the emulator you have another folder for saved states, because at the moment they are all dumped in the main folder of the emulator which kinda clutters things no biggie just though you should let you know. Thanks for your work again amazing speed compared to other emulators.

Same goes with .srm files ;)

Some of my save states wont work. Only in certain games though, like Final Fantasy II and Super Mario 2.

For what it is worth I never had the emu lock up on me (except for the games that don't work like Actraiser). I always play with sound on, and I am running FW 2.0. The only bug I have had is the sound loudness seems to shift back and forth between left and right speakers randomly.

Just found something on my gp2x...

Please do the following:
Start playing an MP3.
While playing, hold put your finger on the case onto one speaker. Then try the same with the other speaker.

Usually, if you cover the left speaker, you should hear the sound coming from the right and vice-versa.
Is this the case here? It wasn't.
When I covered one speaker, sound came from the other one, alright.
But when I covered the other one, the sound seemed to come from the middle of the gp2x - and sounded much better.
This happens if the phase for one speaker is wrong (which it was in my case).

I had to open up the gp2x and switch the red and black cable of one speaker.

After that, everything sounded nice and MUCH better - sure, the phase is corrected now...

Might be the problem on more than one gp2x (if not on all...)

Last edited:
Interesting ED. One Q though, If I were to open my GP2X and resolder these cables, would my warranty be voided? (asuming yes)

Wich of the speakers did you resolder?
When I cover my left speaker the sound seem to have more bass and slightly more volume.
When I cover the right speaker the sound seem to have less bass, less volume and more (whats that word..) "High pitch"?

Wich do you recon I should resolder? Can you post a picture of your resoldered speaker?

Nice discovery.

EDIT: Sorry for the off-topic.

I like the save functions as they are now. I wouldnt like to learn new combos for saving and loading savestates.

BTW I love this emulator, and I have no big requests for the author, just some small speed improvements maybe!

Thanks for your hard work!

I have found these bugs:

- Graphics corruption in Addam´s Family Values when you use the map after talking Gomez.

- Frames counter is still freezing ramdomsly.

V4

No major changes. I've replaced the timer code which should mean that the FPS monitor will not lock up anymore. Let me know if you have any problems

Thanks for this new release. It looks like the freeze problem has disappeared for me. Ive played SimCity on a couple of settings (with and without sound) and it didn't freeze on me once.

Back