Pocketsnes Version 3

do translated roms not work properly? (im just getting jumbled words) or do i just have a bad rom?

I noticed some text, especially in translated roms (like Bahamut Lagoon if i remember well) have serious problem with text :( But it was completely new to me, being able to play zelda3 in the train this morning <3

I gave this major go's during my daily train rides, and there are two problems that constantly occur:

1. Every 5 or so minutes, the emulator hangs for a second, then goes back to normal.

2. When turning sound off, the emulator freezes after about 10 minutes of play.

Other than these, DrPocketSnes is absolutely perfect for me, what more than fullspeed F-zero could a guy want? :)

- Alex

There appears to be a few problems with the timer code I'm using. I've now replaced it with a call to a Linux function instead and everything seems to be more stable now.

Last edited by a moderator:
do translated roms not work properly? (im just getting jumbled words) or do i just have a bad rom?

same thing here.

but i think i found the answer while looking for romancing saga 3 translation:

http://www.fantasyanime.com/saga/rs3about.htm

Using ZSNES or SNES9X, if you have Romancing SaGa 3 in Window Mode with no screen renders enabled, then the menu text will appear scrambled and illegible. This can be resolved by applying a screen render or entering Full Screen Mode.

EDIT: oops, false hope :/

scaling or unscaling screen doesn't seem to change anything.

thank to everyone who's involved in this emulator... great work
while playing donkey kong country yesterday for 2-3 hours I noticed the FPS counter stucked at value 13275 and stay stucked after reset of game too :)

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this already but the fonts in Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 are completely screwed for me.

In regards to ROM translations, I haven't had any trouble yet. It's possible you applied the patch to the wrong version of the ROM. I know Seiken Densetsu 3 has display issues due to employing a different resolution.

Patches I've tried that seem to work:
Gunman's Proof
Bahamut Lagoon
Shin Megami Tensei II
Front Mission
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Assault Suits Valken
WOZZ

I don't see why translation patches wouldn't work... admittedly they sometimes screw with the checksum of a rom (hence why there's often separate patches for playing on emus and on the real thing), but the rom itself is still a valid chunk of code. You may (or may not - I've not checked) need to patch the game on your PC though; not all emus have the auto-patching features of modern PC ones. If that's the case, SNEStool works brilliantly.

Re: Seiken Densetu 3, I seem to remember the character select bit used the incredibly rare high resolution the snes could sometimes cope with, which means it's effectively in 640x480. I certainly remember having trouble reading it when I first ran the translated rom until after I'd chosen my character - but then it drops back to normal 320x240esque for the actual game, and changes font respectively. So if you can get to in game, it'll probably look fine...

Hey, this emulator is brilliant... great job... I think that bounty will be collectible very soon... who decides that, anyway?

Re: Seiken Densetu 3, I seem to remember the character select bit used the incredibly rare high resolution the snes could sometimes cope with, which means it's effectively in 640x480. I certainly remember having trouble reading it when I first ran the translated rom until after I'd chosen my character - but then it drops back to normal 320x240esque for the actual game, and changes font respectively. So if you can get to in game, it'll probably look fine...

It looks like it actually changes the resolution for every message box.

but then it drops back to normal 320x240esque for the actual game, and changes font respectively. So if you can get to in game, it'll probably look fine...
I don't remember about that one, but quite a number of snes rpg games change resolutions on the fly every time a text box pops out. I guess it makes sense, as most fonts would be pretty hard to read at the extremely poor (somewhere around 256×224 if I remember well) resolutions most snes games run.

I have noticed something very odd about the emulator though, the scaled mode seems to be somewhat faster than the unscaled mode, I am afraid I might be going crazy, has anyone noticed this?

but then it drops back to normal 320x240esque for the actual game, and changes font respectively. So if you can get to in game, it'll probably look fine...
I don't remember about that one, but quite a number of snes rpg games change resolutions on the fly every time a text box pops out. I guess it makes sense, as most fonts would be pretty hard to read at the extremely poor (somewhere around 256×224 if I remember well) resolutions most snes games run.

Most of them don't, I'm sure, but this one does seem to certainly do something weird having checked. It looks almost as though it's actually only got the high-res font, and it hides this in-game by having two characters to represent a letter (so two halves of an a). The emu's only displaying the first half, presumably because it hasn't noticed that it's high res yet, and just displays the first half somewhat stretched. Very strange, but hey...

Has anyone gotten games to load via gmenu? Or is there no command line support yet?

I gave this major go's during my daily train rides, and there are two problems that constantly occur:

1. Every 5 or so minutes, the emulator hangs for a second, then goes back to normal.

2. When turning sound off, the emulator freezes after about 10 minutes of play.

Other than these, DrPocketSnes is absolutely perfect for me, what more than fullspeed F-zero could a guy want? :)

- Alex

There appears to be a few problems with the timer code I'm using. I've now replaced it with a call to a Linux function instead and everything seems to be more stable now.

Reesy, I've had the same issue as Alex, my games freeze every 5 minutes or so, sometimes the freeze doesn't fix itself and just hangs, other times it takes 5 seconds or so and unfreezes. I'm pretty much a newbie here so I don't know if your reply about using Linux Function is for ver 3 released or if you are releasing the fix in a later release. Can you be more specific as I think this SNES emulator is the best one yet and I have been playing it for 4 days straight (wife actually getting anoid with me) & I hate having to restart my gp2x and starting over.

Reesy, I've had the same issue as Alex, my games freeze every 5 minutes or so, sometimes the freeze doesn't fix itself and just hangs, other times it takes 5 seconds or so and unfreezes. I'm pretty much a newbie here so I don't know if your reply about using Linux Function is for ver 3 released or if you are releasing the fix in a later release. Can you be more specific as I think this SNES emulator is the best one yet and I have been playing it for 4 days straight (wife actually getting anoid with me) & I hate having to restart my gp2x and starting over.

When the emulator freezes completely do you have the sound on or off? The is a bug in version 3 when the sound is off the emulator can hang if the timer fails to update. If have fixed this in version 4 (to be released) by replacing the timer code I was using.

There should be no reason why the timer bug would stop the emulator completely when you have the sound on, as the timing is then controlled by the audio thread instead of the timer. The only thing affected is the FPS display which still uses a timer to calculate the FPS.

Are you overclocking?
Can you GP2X usually handle that amount of overclock?
Have you tried reducing the cpu speed to see if the lockups still happen?
What firmware are you using?

I've not had the emulator lock up on me completely while the sound is on but I have seen the FPS lockup. I do see the occasional glitch where the FPS slows right down for a second and then returns to normal but so far I've always been able to continue without any problems.

Regards
Reesy

Back