Pocketsnes Released

ZOMG! Thanks loads, my car got broken into last night and this has given me a little smile on an otherwise bad day...

Yes I completely forgot about the select button being mapped incorrectly, I'll get that fixed. I was however completely unware of the diagnals problem because it all works fine on my lovely DaveC joypad :), no problem I'll fix that too.

Anyway please don't praise me too much for this port, I've really not done much. I've just stuck code created by other people together, so people like Notaz and Squidge should get all of the glory.

Just to clarify, the pocketsnes that this is based on is the pocketPC version not the GBA(DS) version. I completely forgot that there were two versions, sorry for the confusion.

This port uses Notaz's ASM sound core, so the sound should be exactly the same as SquidgeSnes's. Its strange to hear that people think it sounds better. I'm using a different method to actually play the sound, so maybe its that which is causing an improvement.

Anyway I'll get a fixed version out today.

Later
Reesy

Reesy, thanks for sticking this code and for the menu, thank you Notaz for the sound core, thank you Squidge, SquidgeSnes rocks...
mmm, I honestly feel everyone here should thank DaveC, without his insistence on mentioning that we do not have perfect Snes in every topic, I guess no would have tried working to improve what we had until we got this now, THANKS DaveC :)

Reesy,

You are truly an amazing guy... and I thought you left the GP2x scene for good...

Glad you didn't.

I think this emulator is just a few releases away from being considered perfect.

Since you said that this is just a "copy&paste" version, do you think there is still much room for speed improvement with just a few adjustments?

Thanks a lot for comming back, and for releasing/compiling such a great emulator...

For a first release all I can say is, “Pure Genius.”
This is truly a fantastic year for GP2X!
With a little tweaking, this will be “THE” SNES emu of choice. Great work!
:D

Just thought I'd mention my settings before were at 200 MHz with transparencies on :) . I'm now at 270 and everything runs great. Actraiser sound still is funny though. I didn't play SNES emulators before because I thought they were crippled by lack of transparencies at acceptable framerates. This was a great release! thanks!

Yaouch! FF6 playable@260Mhz!!! THIS is going to be really GREAT!! thank you very much Reesy ;)

It made me happy to see Reesy's menu once again ;)

EDIT : After a few games, FPS counter seemed to be blocked at 54fps... Not that I have anything to reproach to a framecounter being always at 54fps, but the game don't look like it's that speedy :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.

I'm a little late to the party, but this is great!

I guess 2007 will be the year of the GP2X after all :)

Back