Pocketsnes V4

Has anyone used save states from v3 in this version of PocketSnes? Mine either make the game slower or this version seems to be slower. This version shouldn't be slower since Reesy said he didn't really touch any of the snes code. Just wondering.
I have used saved states from v3 for FF6 with v4 now and i've noticed no difference in gameplay/speed

Well I guess it's not the save state, but I run my games with 0 frameskip. To me in v3, 0 framskip still seemed like it's skipping a frame compared to v4. That could be a reason. Thanks for checking though. Well I just compared Super Castlevania 4 with 0 framskip and same settings in v3, then tried it in v4. Zero frameskip seems smoother in v4, but slower. I guess v3 never really had 0 frameskipping to begin with or else I'm jsut going crazy. :blink: Either way though snes emulation is coming along nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason this just hangs for me at the 'Loading ROM' screen.

the roms i'm loading are Super Mario World and Star Trek TNG which load ok in SquidgeSNES

I'm using firmware 2.1.1, anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

thanks

the roms i'm loading are Super Mario World and Star Trek TNG which load ok in SquidgeSNES

thanks

SMW works for me, dodgy ROM maybe?

thanks

SMW works for me, dodgy ROM maybe?

I noticed sometimes if I over clock to high I get a black screen when loading a rom. Also it freezes after trying and I need to restart my GP2X.

Has anyone used save states from v3 in this version of PocketSnes? Mine either make the game slower or this version seems to be slower. This version shouldn't be slower since Reesy said he didn't really touch any of the snes code. Just wondering.
I have used saved states from v3 for FF6 with v4 now and i've noticed no difference in gameplay/speed

THere shouldn't be any differences between both versions as Reesy is not working on the SNES emulation itself
BTW, Why isn't Tales of Phantasia playable? Does it use SuperFX or another chip? because i'm playing it on ZSNES and really like the combat system! and what about Terranigma?

Terranigma worked in squidgesnes, so it should still work, but i haven't verified.

THere shouldn't be any differences between both versions as Reesy is not working on the SNES emulation itself
BTW, Why isn't Tales of Phantasia playable? Does it use SuperFX or another chip? because i'm playing it on ZSNES and really like the combat system! and what about Terranigma?

Terranigma worked in squidgesnes, so it should still work, but i haven't verified.

I tried a little more yesterday, both works if you turn sound off, and crash if you turn sound on, and I think I remember someone saying it worked with the old Squidgesnes with C sound core so... pleese reesy, may it be possible to activate the C sound core in the options?? :rolleyes: or even better, if Notaz could improve compatibility of his ASM sound core ;) Tales of Phantasia is such a great SNES game! probably the most advanced 16its rpg

Well done once again Reesy.

Any chance of adding a quicksave/load (to ram only) option in?

That's what I asked for version 4 but no one seemed interrested in new save/load controls... that's too bad because it's rather annoying to go through 4 menus for "quick"save or "quick"load and some key combinations won't bother those who don't want to use them (difficult to do a 3 or 4 keys combo without purpose ;) )

I like the GBA PocketNes keys for save/load.
You can use something like:
L+Select=quicksave
R+Select=quickload
or
L+Start=quickload

I vote for something like this...

-Kensupen

L+Select=quicksave
R+Select=quickload
or
L+Start=quickload

-Kensupen
This is used in GPFCE, and although it's convenient, I find that if i haven't used this emulator in a while, i get confused at which combo is for saving and which is for loading. I've wiped out saved games before when starting up by pressing the wrong combo.

L+Select=quicksave
R+Select=quickload
or
L+Start=quickload

-Kensupen
This is used in GPFCE, and although it's convenient, I find that if i haven't used this emulator in a while, i get confused at which combo is for saving and which is for loading. I've wiped out saved games before when starting up by pressing the wrong combo.

I don't see why people are complaining about this method. If you're worried about getting confused and accidentally saving when you mean to load, just go through the menu to manage your save states in squidgesnes or picodrive. But the people who want to use the shortcuts should have the option to do that as well. As of right now, both GPFCE and Picodrive use L for saving and R for loading, and if a uniform standard can be used across programs, it will greatly alleviate confusion as well.

Well the L and R buttons are used in PocketSnes, so what happens if a snes game requires you to press L+Select at the same time ? I don't know of any games but thats not the point :), the point is the buttons are used by the emulated system and so in my opinion should not be used for shortcuts.

If I get time I'll put a system together where you can define your own menu short cuts, that way all of the stupid people ;) can shortcut away to their hearts content.

Later
Reesy

Well the L and R buttons are used in PocketSnes, so what happens if a snes game requires you to press L+Select at the same time ? I don't know of any games but thats not the point :), the point is the buttons are used by the emulated system and so in my opinion should not be used for shortcuts.

If I get time I'll put a system together where you can define your own menu short cuts, that way all of the stupid people ;) can shortcut away to their hearts content.

Later
Reesy

As i suggested, Vol+ + Vol- could be used for combos (pressing Vol+ and Vol- disable the game controls so that you can assign every button)

It's up to you to see what is doable ;)

I've realised why its not working on my GP2X...

Having eliminated all sensible possibilities such as the validity of my ROMS, my firmware etc
I am only left now with 1 far fetched Hollywood style possibility:

The reason Pocketsnes V4 doesn't work on mine is because I am the chosen one

and, although I've not heard anything, I'll bet this was foretold in the ancient prophecy

there's nothing left that it can be, all serious options have been considered so I'm submitting this to you as fact.

Later
Reesy

As i suggested, Vol+ + Vol- could be used for combos (pressing Vol+ and Vol- disable the game controls so that you can assign every button)

It's up to you to see what is doable ;)

I suggested this method a long time ago too in the cool ideas forum. Back then fishy sounded interested in it for fishynes, and people reacted positively, but it never found it's way into any emulators.

My thread for it

Is it just me or does the emu sometimes forget writing savestates to the SD card?
It happened to me twice so far, while I also used the normal sram save and made sure to properly exit the emu. After restarting it both, savestate and sram save weren't updated. :(

Is it just me or does the emu sometimes forget writing savestates to the SD card?
It happened to me twice so far, while I also used the normal sram save and made sure to properly exit the emu. After restarting it both, savestate and sram save weren't updated. :(

This happened to me, also. Lost some 3 hours in Chrono Trigger due to this :(

By the way, IMHO, saves should be commited to the card right after being asked by the player. I've also lost some hours of game time when my batteries failed in-game :( Now I quit any emulator as soon as I "quick"save, reenter and reload (so, if it didn't save I don't lose that much time, and I make sure the save is commited if the batteries fail).

By the way: great, great work. This is what I've been hoping to have ever since my first Dragonball-based Palm! ;)

Yeah I've just checked the code and I'm missing a few calls to Sync(), so with the current version there is a chance you can lose data. I'm creating a new version to resolve these issues, I'm also changing the SRAM is handled to be more DaveC friendly.

I also found a cause for the occasional slowdown (where the game appears to stick for a second or two every now and then ). Its caused by the auto saving of SRAM, the emulator will check the SRAM every now and then and if it has been changed it will save the data to disk. In the auto sram routine I did actually have a call to sync() which is what causes the delay.

So I've disabled this functionality at the moment, so SRAM will now only be saved as you return to the menu. You can currently have the menu automatically save it for you, or you can choose to manually save SRAM.

Is anyone going to cry like a bitch about me removing the automatic SRAM saving while running the emulator? I suppose I could add another menu option to allow you to enable but I don't want to add more options to the emulator just for the sake of it, so unless I get a decent response to save it I'm not going to bother.

Oh and I've tidied up where the SRAM files are stored, they were stored in the same directory at pocketsnes.gpe but they are now held in the options directory with everything else, I'll reming everyone again when version 5 is released as it means you will have to move any existing saves into the options directory in order for pocketsnes to see them.

Later
Reesy

Back