Pocketsnes Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Reesy did it again, I guess :)
He combined the current SquidgeSNES with the renderer of PocketSNES - and now we've got an SNES Emulator that runs most games Fullspeed with sound at 250 MHz - INCLUSIVE transparencies!

Nice one :)

Be sure to enable transparencies in the menu if you need them.

Download: PocketSNES
Download: PocketSNES Sourcecode

Hmm...several immediate observations:

Volume controls do not work
Diagonals do not work, only the ordinals
Sound is more accurate than SquidgeSNES
Graphics are more accurate than SquidgeSNES
It runs games at fullspeed, but at FS2-3.

Amazing work Reesy! I quickly tried F-Zero, DK Country, and Super Metroid and all three are very playable, especially Metroid which ran at 60fps!

Thanks you very much!

- Alex

Amazing work Reesy! I quickly tried F-Zero, DK Country, and Super Metroid and all three are very playable, especially Metroid which ran at 60fps!

Thanks you very much!
Hmm, what settings did you use? I'm running sound rate 8250, transparencies on, 260 clock, and I'm only getting 18-20 FPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOLY CRAP! Amazing. You rock. But is it Dave C approved? Only time will tell. :)

Now all thats left is to get the extra cart chips like SMRPG's and Yoshi's Island working and we are good to go.

I'm curious about the code. The PocketSNES I know of was originally written for the GBA. The GBA has special hardware that would allow fairly easy? emulation of transparencies, so just wondering how the code was useful?

In fact when I read the news, I was thinking, why is there news about GBA emulators here?

Unless, of course, there's ANOTHER PocketSNES?

I quickly tried out the Jap only shooter Macross and indeed I'm seeing lovely explosions, though it did slow down from 45FPS to around 15FPS at that point. I also noticed the ordinals only working (ie. no diagonals) but this is looking very nice with that oh-so-familiar frontend :)

Do you think little diagonally scrolling SNES logos would look cool for this?

HOLY CRAP! Amazing. You rock. But is it Dave C approved? Only time will tell. :)
I think he'll have a heart attack when he reads the news page... :D

Transparencies with nice speed is awesome. :D

But I'm a little baffled by the controls. It does, indeed, seem like diagonals don't work. Volume +/- doesn't seem to do anything. Select brings up the menu...shouldn't it be used for the Select button? Also, which choice gives you actual SNES button placement--normal or swapped? Seems like 'swapped' does.

Other than that, it's great. Good SNES is FINALLY in reach! :)

Also, a scaling option would be nice... :ph34r:

EDIT: It seems compatibility is lower. Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia now hang. Tales's sound (at least in the intro) is completely wrong... quite strange, actually. :p

(Before anyone calls me mean--this is beta testing ;))

EDIT2: I apologize for all the smilies... :unsure:

Screw trying it later, I couldnt wait. All I have to say is another job well done. As shinneri said, snes emulation is so close we can taste it :)

Volume is a big issue for me, the swapped/normal seem to be reversed, and compatibility needs to be a little better. Once those are done I think we've got what we've been waiting for all along. A few small optimizations like the ones above and I'll donate once again.

Fantastic work.

HOLY CRAP! :eek: I am teh amazed!

This emulator rocks my socks. Darn you Reesy, I was trying to go to bed when I thought "Hey, I'll check the latest news..." Way to stink. :p

All that needs to be done right now, is volume control with vol +/-, fix the FPS counter (it seems to be stuck at 33 for me), add diagonals (need... street... fighter! :p ), fix the select button (use another combo to get into the menu), and maybe add 41khz as a sound option.

But, this release is awesome for peeps like me with a GP2X that doesn't overclock alot... :)

I cannot say "Thank you" enough times. :)

I totally agree with daclassicgamingmaster too.

Back