Squidgesnes V0.37a Released

I tried using an Snes9x save state. It can read the save state, but it starts the game at the beginning, not where the save state was. Oh well, was worth a shot. Thanks Squidge, looking forward to the next version!

Hi

i was playing Chrono Trigger for a while, with version 0.37a, without any major glitches. But only until i reached the part "the guru on mt. woe". As i entered this area my screen just looked like this:
chronotheguruonmtwoegp2x8fr.th.jpg

bigger size

When i tried it on ZSNES it looked like this:
chronotheguruonmtwoezsnes1422y.th.jpg

bigger size

I tried some different versions of Squidgesnes DR2, 0.37, with and without fast sprites/transhack, always the same effect.
It would be cool if someone could figure out what´s causing this bug, and maybe fixing it ;)

I really love squidgesnes, but sometimes its just anoying to start a rpg game and on some point u cant play further cuz some glitche occurs :(

To try this out on your own here´s a savegame
Savegame
The Chrono Trigger rom is not included for sure, and cuz it´s small size of 8kb i didnt zipped it
Load the 3rd save slot, walk to the right in to the cave, then on the left side all up and then use the chain..

i hope i didn´t choosed the wrong place for a "bug" report ;)

It is not a bug it is because the emu doesn't do proper transparencies. Transparencies are too much for the emu to do at a good speed so you are kind of out of luck.

Since the topic is now already dumped, would the new ram-hack by squidge help this emulator too? Or doesn't it use even the 32mb ram used without the hack?

Cheers, David

It should do, the extra memory is used for temp memory used to render graphics. I haven't tried it yet though.

one question because davec said transparencys are 'too much' for this emulator:

will we have them in the future?

I am playing Final Fantasy 2/4, but once I get to the Mist Cave at the beggining, I can't see anything. The whole screen is white. I assume this is because of the transparency problem. Can you turn-off the mist or something (I remember reading somewhere that you could turn-off the water in Super Mario World, so maybe you can do the same here)? or am I SOL?

yo reesy! Are you going to check out that memory hack soon? The only thing I am really waiting for on the gp2x is better snes emulation right now, and you are the man who can make that happen...

I may as well ask this now to quickly crush my excitement over the possibility of a major performance gain in Squidgesnes; Have you included your MMU hack code into the emulator, or has it already been implimented in V.37a or prior?

Could we be seeing an extra 10+ FPS performance gain? Of Course, it's a safe bet in thinking that it wouldn't produce a quite as potent effect as it did in Gngeo, due to the bloody-hard-to-do-ness of snes emulation, but even an extra 5 fps would be a great improvement.

one question because davec said transparencies are 'too much' for this emulator:

will we have them in the future?

I suppose you could dither the sprite. Rendering every other pixel, in a checkerboard type pattern. That would be pretty fast and allow you to do a pseudo 50% transparency.

Of course it would probably look pretty awful as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i'm a non dev and that's why i don't understand everything here ;)

so are transparencies possible (hardware wise) and are they just slow to emulate or are they not possible?

sorry i'm a non dev and that's why i don't understand everything here ;)

so are transparencies possible (hardware wise) and are they just slow to emulate or are they not possible?

Just slow. You need a 16 bit screen to do it and you have to keep track of all of the layers etc. It is possible but the emu would need max overclock and even then it would be choppy.

I suppose you could dither the sprite. Rendering every other pixel, in a checkerboard type pattern. That would be pretty fast and allow you to do a pseudo 50% transparency.

Of course it would probably look pretty awful as well.

This was suggested along time ago (by me actually) Squidge tried it but for a reason that my non-coder brain don't quite understand, it didn't work too well. Not because it didn't look good but it just didn't render correctly and didn't give much speed.

I remember Squidge saying that it's not the actual transparency rendering that is slow but actually processing what needs to be transparent. So I'm guessing that faster RAM may not help that.

Back