Pocketsnes V5 Released

fusion_power posted on Feb 4 2007 at 02:57 PM said:
Reesy posted on Feb 4 2007 at 01:47 AM said:
I don't have any problems with special characters in rom names, its strange that you are having problems. Could you give some examples? I'll rename some files to match to see if I can replicate the problem.
After more and deeper investigation, it seems, that the ROM-names not the problem. Somehow, PocketSNES dont find the roms in the ROM-directory of SquidgeSNES. When I copy the roms in the root of your Emulator, he detects them. Of course I dont want to use more than one ROM-directory or various copies of my roms in different directories.
my folders:
SD/emulators/squidgesnes/roms <---this directory with my snes roms is shown empty in the pocketSNES-Rom selector
SD/emulators/PocketSNES <----when I copy the same roms here, pocketSNES shows me the roms

Ahh I see someone couldn't be asked to read the readme.txt. Below is an extract which should help you.

Now you need to copy some SNES roms to you SD card. Again you can put your roms anywhere you like on your SD card, you just need to configure DrPocketSnes to point at your rom directory. To do this follow the instructions below

1. Start PocketSnes
2. Select "Select Rom" from the menu.
3. This will take you by default to the current working directory (e.g the directory where you installed DrPocketSnes /mnt/sd/DrPocketSnes.
4. You now need to browse through the file system to find your rom directory.
5. To do this select ".." to move up and directory or select any entries that start with "+". Entries that start with "+" are directories, so selecting takes you into that directory.
6. Once you have located your rom directory, you need to save the current directory as your default rom directory.
7. To do this select the "Back To Main Menu" menu option.
8. Then select "SNES Options"
9. Then select "Save Current Rom Directory"
10. This will store the current rom directory in a text file held in the options directory. So the next time you start PocketSnes and select "Select Rom" you will be taken straight to your rom directory.

@jimmyslam: I didn't get chance in the end as other things took more time than I had expected. So instead of delaying anymore I thought I'd release a version which saved data correctly. I may get a chance to add this option sometime this week and then I'll release another version then.

Later
Reesy

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:57 AM said:
I don't have any problems with special characters in rom names, its strange that you are having problems. Could you give some examples? I'll rename some files to match to see if I can replicate the problem.
After more and deeper investigation, it seems, that the ROM-names not the problem. Somehow, PocketSNES dont find the roms in the ROM-directory of SquidgeSNES. When I copy the roms in the root of your Emulator, he detects them. Of course I dont want to use more than one ROM-directory or various copies of my roms in different directories.
my folders:
SD/emulators/squidgesnes/roms <---this directory with my snes roms is shown empty in the pocketSNES-Rom selector
SD/emulators/PocketSNES <----when I copy the same roms here, pocketSNES shows me the roms

What about actually reading the readme.txt instead of bothering the emulator´s author? :ph34r:

@Reesy

I was having the same problem as fusion. I could browse to the directory that had my roms in it, but it didn't see any.

I found a solution though.
My Post

It's kinda confusing that it doesn't see tham at first, but if you save the directory and restart, it does.

-Kensupen

Before anyone slams me.... I read the Readme file.
Now, I'm having the same issue of the emulator not seeing my roms.
If I browse to the ROM directory on my SD card and save that as my ROM root directory, here is what happens.
When I LOAD ROM from menu, the emulator still does not see my roms.
If I LOAD ROM, browse back to main directory, then go back through the directory tree to where my 100 roms are stored, the emulator only shows ten of my roms (wierd, it see's the roms in the middle of my list, not beginning or end).
I have not tried to move my roms to the Pocketsnes main directory as I saw in this thread, but I still think this is a bug.
I upgraded from version 3, hoping I did not need to upgrade to 4 1st.
I still think this is the best release yet and hope this does not in anyway frustrate development.

I did save directory and restart, but that didn't fix the issue as posted.

rydore posted on Feb 4 2007 at 05:30 PM said:
Before anyone slams me.... I read the Readme file.
Now, I'm having the same issue of the emulator not seeing my roms.
If I browse to the ROM directory on my SD card and save that as my ROM root directory, here is what happens.
When I LOAD ROM from menu, the emulator still does not see my roms.
If I LOAD ROM, browse back to main directory, then go back through the directory tree to where my 100 roms are stored, the emulator only shows ten of my roms (wierd, it see's the roms in the middle of my list, not beginning or end).
I have not tried to move my roms to the Pocketsnes main directory as I saw in this thread, but I still think this is a bug.
I upgraded from version 3, hoping I did not need to upgrade to 4 1st.
I still think this is the best release yet and hope this does not in anyway frustrate development.

I did save directory and restart, but that didn't fix the issue as posted.

Have you tried deletiing the options folder after moving save sates/save games out of the folder? I had the same issue, and decided I would have to do all my configs again anyway, deleted the options dir, let PocketSNES create it again, browsed to/saved my rom dir, restared the emu and voila, a working rom dir (which is /roms/snes by the way).

Great release! Stopped the annoying freeze which always seemed to happen just as touching down on the *bonus stage* landing pads in pilot wings :)

Oh, BTW, I know this is a little off topic, but I have a Japanese FF6 cart (I originally bought it not knowing it was == to the Europe FF3 >.<) So I made a rom from it, and got the translation patch from rpgone.net and its working great in this release! One thing though, theres a part when in FF3 you read some tomb stones and get to spell *the world is square* (or simaler) to get some XP egg, but in the translated version this is not the case, anyone know what the hell i'm supposed to write in japanese to = *live in peace* ? heh bloody games got under my skin again! Thanks reesey and team!

[edit]

I hate my keyboard!

Great thanks again Reesy for all of the good work on this. It seems a bit faster and many games are now a bit more playable at 240 MHz.

Has anyone found any problems with MMU hack or RAM timings or should these be turned on for everything?

Reesy posted on Feb 4 2007 at 02:33 PM said:
I've just had the same problem, so there is a bug on the rom browsing code. I'll have a dig about and see whats going on.

Hey Reesy,

Sorry to be annoying as I've asked this before, but I haven't gotten an answer from anyone.

Does this have command line support? I really like being able to launch games directly from gmenu with the screenshot support.

naples39 posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:44 PM said:
Does this have command line support? I really like being able to launch games directly from gmenu with the screenshot support.

Even though the menu of pocketsnes is great, command line support would indeed be very nice.

naples39 posted on Feb 4 2007 at 07:44 PM said:
Reesy posted on Feb 4 2007 at 02:33 PM said:
I've just had the same problem, so there is a bug on the rom browsing code. I'll have a dig about and see whats going on.

Hey Reesy,

Sorry to be annoying as I've asked this before, but I haven't gotten an answer from anyone.

I don't know but that doesn't seem like a huge priority to me. It is up to Reesy but since he said that there was some room to improve the rendering speed by using more GP2X specific optimizations wouldn't that be more important now? It may just be me but I think improved emu speed is way more important. Especially if you can't or don't want to suck batteries overclocking to 275 MHz.

While, again it is totally up to Reesy, but I would think getting the speed as good as possible would be a big priority. Then if he wanted to implement all of the silly menu options and cheat modes and goofy autofire stuff etc that people always seem to pine for that could be later. Just and idea.

Adding command line support will only take a few minutes, I'll get it done sometime this week.

In the meantime I've released v6 which will hopefully fix the rom browsing problems.

Reesy posted on Feb 4 2007 at 09:38 PM said:
Adding command line support will only take a few minutes, I'll get it done sometime this week.

In the meantime I've released v6 which will hopefully fix the rom browsing problems.

Great news! Thanks, downloading v6 right now.

suppafly posted on Feb 4 2007 at 05:56 PM said:
fusion_power posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:57 AM said:
my folders:

What about actually reading the readme.txt instead of bothering the emulator´s author? :ph34r:

Because I usually bothering authors AFTER I read readme's and after I tried to do anything else to solve problems alone? ;)
And because of reesys frontend, I thought, the rom-dir selection would be in the same way like in DRMD and there you see the files instantly.
Now it works with reesys step-by-step instructions but I had to delete everything and had to restart after dir-selection. I think it's no problem to show the roms always - even, in new dir's without saving and stuff. :)

Reesy posted on Feb 4 2007 at 03:38 PM said:

Awesome. Thanks Reesy, it's much appreciated. :)

While I agree with DaveC that speedups are more important in the long run, I just thought command line would be very simple to add, opposed to code optimization which I imagine is extremely time consuming, if possible at all, which in fact appears to be the case.

Why do ye all keep bringin up dave? He's complimentin teh projec!

[/PSP forum]

Straight up!

This time, the emu runs a pilot wings cart at 200mhz, a FF6 translated (no oher emu has done this to date for my roms, on the GP2X) I love this version! Keep on rockin!

good work goana try it out now

btw reesy when u do use command line options can u add the ones for the cheating support, just the one that enables a cheat given with the command line. like snes9x used to do it. (most if not all of the code is there) we can search for the cheats on the windows version and just enable them with the command line then until there is a user interface for the cheat searcher,database & enabling etc.

just an idea

Back